PDA

View Full Version : K53E memory issue...

CybrGuy
12-03-2011, 05:56 PM
I recently purchased a K53E-BBR4 and am getting some strange results from diagnostic software. It came with 4GB ram in a single slot. I was looking to increase this amount to 8GB. Oddly, both SIW and BELARC report that this lappy has 4 memory slots that are dual channel. However, opening the memory compartment there seems to be only 2 slots. And when I populate the second slot with another 4 GB stick, Belarc reports that I have one stick in channel A slot 0 and one in channel B slot 0, with channel A slot 1 and channel B slot one empty. SIW, while reporting that I have 4 slots, only reports that slots 1 and 2 are now filled, and doesn't seem to identify the empty slots.
Are there hidden slots where I can't find them? And if there are, why would the channels be split between 2 different compartments?

xeromist
12-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Don't quote me on this but I think that the other slots are on the opposite site of the motherboard. This is the case with many machines and it makes upgrading the memory capacity a real pain unless you are willing to operate in single channel mode. I'm not sure why the channels are split but it may have something to do with trace length. *shrug*

BrainCruser
01-25-2012, 02:47 AM
I have the same reports, but once i installed the second stick, it just started in dual channel mode.