PDA

View Full Version : G74SX Sata-6 question

jdx2012
12-03-2011, 07:32 PM
I just installed a OCZ Vertex 3 SATA-6 hard drive and am not sure that the SATA-6 is active. The motherboard chipset generically supports SATA-6 but I don't see a driver download option. The Bios doesn't have an option to activate SATA-6 either. I have downloaded Sisoft Sandra to see if it is reporting SATA-6 but that does not seem conclusive either. Has anyone else had similar issues?

My machine is the Best Buy 8gb i7-2630 2gb 560gtx 192 bit 2x500gb 7200 rpm drive model.

BrodyBoy
12-03-2011, 07:38 PM
I just installed a OCZ Vertex 3 SATA-6 hard drive and am not sure that the SATA-6 is active. The motherboard chipset generically supports SATA-6 but I don't see a driver download option. The Bios doesn't have an option to activate SATA-6 either. I have downloaded Sisoft Sandra to see if it is reporting SATA-6 but that does not seem conclusive either. Has anyone else had similar issues?

My machine is the Best Buy 8gb i7-2630 2gb 560gtx 192 bit 2x500gb 7200 rpm drive model.
There's no separate driver....that's a function built into the 6 Series chipset. It should automatically detect a compatible drive and employ the proper interface metrics. Have you installed the Intel RST as well? (Intel RST v. 10.8.0.1003 (http://downloadmirror.intel.com/20624/eng/iata_enu_10.8.0.1003.exe))

jdx2012
12-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Yes I installed the driver from the Asus website. Does the generic driver from Intel that you linked work better? I have found that my graphics are more stable with the Asus video driver as opposed to the latest Nvidia non-beta driver. Also I have disabled file indexing and the memory swap file for the SSD. Are there any other tweaks that people recommend for an SSD on the G74sx-bb7?

BrodyBoy
12-03-2011, 08:10 PM
With the caveat that I think it's easy to go overboard trying "optimize" SSDs and Win7 configurations in general (like everything else, there's a point of diminishing returns), there are several online tweaks guides, like this one (http://www.ssdtechnologyforum.com/threads/562-Real-world-Windows-7-SSD-tweaks-and-optimization?).

I'm surprised that you found the Asus driver to be more stable.....the Nvidia-sourced version has been rock-solid for me. Are you running an otherwise clean installation, or do you have any of the Asus utilities installed?

fostert
12-04-2011, 12:47 AM
I was not aware that the G74SX supported Sata3 (6Gbps) connections! Is this just true of the BB versions? How would I find out whether my own G74 supports Sata3?
If so, then an SSD w/SATA 6Gbps may be in my future too!

BrodyBoy
12-04-2011, 12:55 AM
I was not aware that the G74SX supported Sata3 (6Gbps) connections! Is this just true of the BB versions? How would I find out whether my own G74 supports Sata3?
If so, then an SSD w/SATA 6Gbps may be in my future too!
Yes, all the G74s do, as far as I know. The two HDD ports are SATA3 and the ODD is SATA2. In all honesty.....I think it's one of those points of diminishing returns. The noticeable upgrade is going from an HDD to an SSD. While there's no reason NOT to get a SATA3 drive (I suspect they'll become the standard pretty soon), I don't think anyone would be able to tell the difference between a SATA2 and SATA3 OS drives in actual, everyday use.

fostert
12-04-2011, 01:13 AM
You're probably right brody...I think most current SSDs are just approaching the max theoretical bandwidth for sustained r/w of the SATA2 protocol, and only push into SATA3 bandwidths from cached, or "burst" r/w speeds. But its good to know the G74 can support this most modern of the SATA revisions! Makes me feel like I spent my money for something somewhat "future-proof"!