PDA

View Full Version : Blluetooth has just ruined my system

k2roo
12-04-2011, 12:13 AM
I just installed the aethos (or whatever) bluetooth drivers from the asus website, and now i cant access security setting, system restore or internet browser. I cant remove the blutooth drivers or rollback or anything. The only thing it looks like i can do is reformat. Anybody have any ideas?

BrodyBoy
12-04-2011, 12:22 AM
Do a system restore. Windows should have saved a restore point right before it installed the BT driver.

Kipper
12-04-2011, 12:29 AM
If I read the post correctly he cannot access system security so rolling back is not an option.

@ K2roo, did you by chance to a system image that you can restore?

k2roo
12-04-2011, 12:51 AM
If I read the post correctly he cannot access system security so rolling back is not an option.

@ K2roo, did you by chance to a system image that you can restore?

No i didnt. I wasnt expecting to be locked out of certain system functions just from installing blue tooth drivers

dstrakele
12-04-2011, 12:57 AM
If you right-click on c:\windows\system32\rstrui.exe and choose "Run as administrator" from the popup menu, can you successfully restore your system to an earlier time?

No i didnt. I wasnt expecting to be locked out of certain system functions just from installing blue tooth drivers

Unfortunately, you never know what might happen anytime you install anything to a system, particularly when it comes to drivers.

k2roo
12-04-2011, 03:31 AM
If you right-click on c:\windows\system32\rstrui.exe and choose "Run as administrator"

Windows cannot find this. This is rubbish, how can this happen. I spent so much time installing a fresh system with authentic asus drivers and then i install the bluetooth driver and it craps itself. FAIL

BrodyBoy
12-04-2011, 03:45 AM
So what is it doing? Does it start up & boot into Windows?

Also....do you have a Windows recovery Disk? If not, do you have another computer (with the same OS) where you could burn one?

BrodyBoy
12-04-2011, 03:59 AM
I have a couple ideas for you if you're still looking for options......

k2roo
12-04-2011, 04:40 AM
Yes it starts up and boots into windows fine. I cant access the internet, i cant access add/remove programs, i cant get into system restore and for some reason i lost my cpu desktop gadget monitor

BrodyBoy
12-04-2011, 05:00 AM
I think it's possible that your administrator account got corrupted or deleted. A couple options:

If you have a Windows Recovery disk (you can burn one on any Windows 7 computer), boot from it and use System Restore to go back to an earlier restore point. Alternately, but less likely to be successful, would be to run Startup Repair from the recovery disk.
Boot into Safe Mode, and create a new administrator account. Use that account to perform other procedures, like uninstalling that driver, or restoring the system.

Kipper
12-04-2011, 06:08 AM
Using the Startup Repair might call for running it three times to be sure. Not sure exactly why three times but that seems to be a common thread with those who have successfully did a repair install.

Sounds like you did a fresh install, if so you can use the disc you did the install with.

k2roo
12-04-2011, 06:14 AM
Ok i tried start up repair but no good, when you say windows recovery disc, do you mean my copy of windows 7? And yes, it seems/feels like i have lost my administrator account or it has been corrupted.

BrodyBoy
12-04-2011, 06:21 AM
Ok i tried start up repair but no good, when you say windows recovery disc, do you mean my copy of windows 7? And yes, it seems/feels like i have lost my administrator account or it has been corrupted.
No, not the Windows Installer disc. The system repair disc that you burn in Windows Backup & Restore utility. If you open that utility, you'll see the option in the left column. If you did STartup Repair, weren't you using a recovery/repair disk?

So if the administrator account is unavailable.....gone, corrupted, whatever....you can boot into Safe Mode, go to User Accounts, and create a new administrator-level account.

k2roo
12-04-2011, 06:26 AM
Ill try to create a new acc in safe mode and get back to you ;)

JRd1st
12-04-2011, 06:38 AM
This is awful.

Try this, go into your BIOS setup and see if UEFI is on, if it is turn it off and see if that helps. Sometimes UEFI causes weird and unusual problems, like this.

When you get this straightened out, could you please tell us what version of the BT installer you used so we can be sure to never recommend it?

Good luck, man. I'll try to think of other options in case none of the preceding works.

BrodyBoy
12-04-2011, 06:55 AM
When you get this straightened out, could you please tell us what version of the BT installer you used so we can be sure to never recommend it?
Good idea! I hadn't even thought that far ahead, but yeah....sounds like that one needs a big red flag on it!

k2roo
12-04-2011, 08:07 AM
Azurewave bluetooth driver
Version* V7.2.0.65

Out of the 4 drivers available from Asustek, this was the only one that wasnt an intel driver.

BrodyBoy
12-04-2011, 08:15 AM
Were you able to recover the system and uninstall it?

BTW, in some recent clean install I've done, I used what looks like the updated version of that driver (ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/Bluetooth/Bluetooth_Azurewave_NB037_Win7_64_Z70200055.zip)an d had no problem with it. (When you're feeling brave enough to try again....;))

k2roo
12-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Could not create a new administrator account from safe mode boot, it just wont let me when i click the buttons. And UEFI is disabled as well. If i could get on the net to download the 'updated version of that driver' then i would try to install it over the top and hope that it overwrites the old one. But i now have to wait to download it from someone elses pc and transfer it to mine via usb. If this doesnt work then its s reformatt. FAIL

JRd1st
12-04-2011, 10:54 AM
This sounds more like a virus or an antivirus gone wild.

Look in the folder for the bluetooth and see if there"s an uninstall.exe there for it and see if that works

k2roo
12-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Yes it does have an uninstall option, but it wont execute ;(

JRd1st
12-04-2011, 07:47 PM
Can't run it as Admin?

BrodyBoy
12-04-2011, 07:48 PM
Yes it does have an uninstall option, but it wont execute ;(
Is this all on a clean install? Or were you just updating the existing driver in the Asus setup?

JRd1st
12-04-2011, 07:51 PM
http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/windows-7-access-denied-permission-ownership/
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/lost-all-administrator-rightspermissions-after/e9ec60a1-665b-414d-8e05-376e2598a3c2

http://lallousx86.wordpress.com/2009/06/14/resetting-ntfs-files-security-and-permission-in-windows-7/

JRd1st
12-04-2011, 07:53 PM
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

BrodyBoy
12-04-2011, 08:07 PM
I'm kind of thinking....if this was the driver installation phase of a clean install....that it's probably better to just start over.

JRd1st
12-04-2011, 08:45 PM
I concur. It takes less than an hour to format and install.

And its always a good idea to create an extra admin acct.

BrodyBoy
12-04-2011, 08:51 PM
I concur. It takes less than an hour to format and install.

And its always a good idea to create an extra admin acct.
I have a pretty stringent policy about clean installs......if ANYTHING doesn't go as planned, if ANY driver doesn't install or work right.....I start over.

I come from a construction-family background, so I guess that notion of starting with a "solid foundation" really took hold!

JRd1st
12-04-2011, 09:54 PM
I'm with you, Maybe even worse; I rarely even uninstall anything, I go back with Acronis, lol

Kipper
12-05-2011, 01:02 AM
I agree, start over with a fresh install. Even if it gets straightened out now I would not have any faith in the install and be waiting for it all to go south again.

BrodyBoy
12-05-2011, 01:11 AM
Good idea. Just take it slow and do the important drivers first. Then move on cautiously to the other ones and make sure they all install properly. Leave off any extraneous junk (i.e., Asus software!) for now. And when it comes to BT, install it only if you actually intend to use it.