PDA

View Full Version : Asus G74 and Witcher 2 ... Wow!

Thorn2011
12-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Been playing Skyrim on my PS3 for the last couple of weeks and was wowed by that, but then I went and bought Witcher 2 ver 2 for my Asus G74 and cranked it up to 1920X1080 with most things switched on except AA and medium shadows.... WOW! I thaught Crysis looked great but this is amazing!! The visuals are SO sharp, colors so bright, I really thaught the G74 might struggle with 'only' having a 3GB GTX560M installed but it handles itself quite well! A quick question, is it possible to upgrade your Video card in the G74 series? Just curious!

What a fantastic combo, anyone else tried this on their G Series?

JRd1st
12-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Thanks for that uplifting report. It's good to hear something besides complaints and pleas for help.

+1

Thorn2011
12-04-2011, 12:37 PM
Thanks for that uplifting report. It's good to hear something besides complaints and pleas for help.

+1

Thats what I figured, I know this is the ROG forums but it really does seem like a troubleshooting forum at times, guess most people who are happy with their G74's are too busy playing them to post about their good results and fun gaming! :) For a laptop it is pretty damn impressive!

JRd1st
12-04-2011, 12:52 PM
That's right, and people still need to remember it IS a laptop. I wouldn't complain if I couldn't play everything on uber-mega-ultra settings because I remember not even being able to play Unreal on high with a desktop. People need to get real, sometimes.

Thorn2011
12-04-2011, 01:13 PM
That's right, and people still need to remember it IS a laptop. I wouldn't complain if I couldn't play everything on uber-mega-ultra settings because I remember not even being able to play Unreal on high with a desktop. People need to get real, sometimes.

Yeah me too :) Grew up wtih PC's going back to the 80's, my first PC gaming experience would have been Ultima on a Apple IIe then not long after, Mean 18 on a 8088 with 256k of Ram! Ever since I have been upgrading my desktop and spending lots of money doing it over the years, until my final build blew its PSU that is when I decided to save space and go mobile at the same time! Early laptops wern't much good at anything, especially gaming, but since technology has been getting faster and smaller it is amazing what they can do these days! My desktop with a E8500 (duel core @ 3.16) and a GTX285 struggled above 1680X1050 yet my Laptop can game in 1920X1080! I don't really mind if I can't max out everything I am used to that, Crysis Warhead I can run smoothly with everything set to 'Gamer' which isn't too bad, Witcher 2 like I said will run nicely in Full HD with AA off and shadows set to medium!

I think new gamers are getting spoilt :)

JRd1st
12-04-2011, 02:24 PM

I'd give another +1 for that, if I could . . . :D

Hell, I played the text version of Dungeons and Dragons (rdungeo) on a main frame . . . :p

TeckTime
12-04-2011, 09:15 PM
Yeah me too :) Grew up wtih PC's going back to the 80's, my first PC gaming experience would have been Ultima on a Apple IIe then not long after, Mean 18 on a 8088 with 256k of Ram! Ever since I have been upgrading my desktop and spending lots of money doing it over the years, until my final build blew its PSU that is when I decided to save space and go mobile at the same time! Early laptops wern't much good at anything, especially gaming, but since technology has been getting faster and smaller it is amazing what they can do these days! My desktop with a E8500 (duel core @ 3.16) and a GTX285 struggled above 1680X1050 yet my Laptop can game in 1920X1080! I don't really mind if I can't max out everything I am used to that, Crysis Warhead I can run smoothly with everything set to 'Gamer' which isn't too bad, Witcher 2 like I said will run nicely in Full HD with AA off and shadows set to medium!

I've always wondered how much money I've spent/wasted on upgrades to my PC; however, I do not think I want to see the figure. ;)

I received my G74SX-DH71 on 11/28 in anticipation for SWTOR's release and eventually I'll get around to loading other games on it. I plan on doing a clean install as soon as I receive my usb flashdrive so let me know what you learn from your clean install.

Thorn2011
12-04-2011, 10:45 PM
I've always wondered how much money I've spent/wasted on upgrades to my PC; however, I do not think I want to see the figure. ;)

I received my G74SX-DH71 on 11/28 in anticipation for SWTOR's release and eventually I'll get around to loading other games on it. I plan on doing a clean install as soon as I receive my usb flashdrive so let me know what you learn from your clean install.

I haven't even done a clean install lol I guess people do it if they are having problems with their included install, but I'm not so far, everything works as it should, the only drivers I have updated are the Video and Sound drivers! Games seem to work great!

There's an old saying, if it ain't broke then don't fix it! Worried I will do something to cause an issue (s).

Your laptop should handle SWTOR just fine, Witcher 2 is pretty graphical for a 3rd person game and it seems to run pretty good in Full-HD.

City Builder
12-17-2011, 02:50 AM
Nice to hear that it runs well on your G74. Mine is apparently one of the lower models with "only" 2GB of Vram but Witcher 2 is on my steam list of games that I'm installing to this laptop. Hopefully it runs as well as it does with your 3GB model.

MPerni
12-17-2011, 03:24 AM
Yeah, it has a great performance for a laptop!! When i bought the g74 in the US i algo bought Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 (I throw a coin to decide between this one and BF3 xD)... Well, i am playing all at full details, AA, oclussion, shadows, etc... all on, first time of my life that i play with all turned on in some game, pretty good!

JKB0076
12-17-2011, 12:18 PM
Hmm, this reminds me, I have Witcher 1 in my basement that I never finished(HDD failure wiped it out, never installed again). I may have to load it on the G74sx and give it a go again.

380mcn
12-17-2011, 01:06 PM
the gtx560m is not a big deal, but sure is very good for the price!

Blue-Bulb
12-17-2011, 02:13 PM
you wont be able to upgrade the gpu(video card).

mine ish 3GB Ram oso :D

fostert
12-17-2011, 04:56 PM
Can't forget the days of karateka, montezuma's revenge, ultima IV, the halley project, etc. on the Apple IIe. Life was simpler then (insert floppy, play, watch floppy get taken away and formatted by lab TA, get another copy from friend, and repeat!)

BTW, to answer your original question, its my understanding that the 560M is soldered to the mainboard, so theres no simple way of upgrading the G74's graphics with say something like the 580M. Nuts.

380mcn
12-17-2011, 05:04 PM
yes there is a simple way to upgrade: buy a new pc! it doesn't get any simpler!
BTW, even if you could change the GPU i would NEVER boot! The BIOS must support it, and in this case the G74 BIOS is the neanderthal bios ever! :p

Equinox80
06-19-2013, 08:07 PM
I am a necromancer! Muahahaha! Anyways maybe this has something to do with 2013 and the EE editon of Witcher 2 but my ASUS G74SX (not sure the last bit, CST1-CBIL?) cannot barely handle Witcher 2 at all, same specs as yours except I upgraded my ram to 16 GB DDR3 which I regret because I don't need half of that haha. I have just about all settings on the lowest setting, running at 1920x1080 (only resolution that looks good on any game I have). I think it may have something to do with the Enhanced Edition / Assassin of Kings. If not, I am considering OC my G74SX to see if that works and if I understand correctly it will not void the warranty unless I change the voltage which I am not going to change obviously. Getting it repaired soon lol.

Is this a problem with the game?

kyu254
06-24-2013, 11:55 AM
:)) thanks for remind. I have a Witcher 2 and set a medium , everything is alright with my asus g74sx . Btw, i have a problem with Metro Last Night

mmwan3
07-02-2013, 03:41 PM
another i suggest is crysis 3, i set texture to high and system to low but i can still get awesome quality!!