PDA

View Full Version : Installing a ssd on the g74sx...

AQUASTEVAE
12-04-2011, 03:47 PM
i have purchased a crucial 256gb m4, and before dropping it in, wanted to ask the board if there are any bios settings or other special instructions before putting it in. i have a usb thumb drive, already formatted with fat32 to be a bootable usb drive, and win 7 ult setup app is already on it, and ready to go.

my plan is to remove the 750 hdd on the left, slide in the ssd and boot from the usb drive. is there anything i am leaving out? thanks in advance.

JRd1st
12-04-2011, 03:55 PM
You have the win7 installer with sp1 integrated, right?

AQUASTEVAE
12-04-2011, 04:12 PM
yes. do i need anything else?

JRd1st
12-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Drivers, did you use ABR to back up your activation? (Find it in my Drivers post)

AQUASTEVAE
12-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Drivers, did you use ABR to back up your activation? (Find it in my Drivers post)

no. i forgot to do that. thanks. i will do this first.

AQUASTEVAE
12-04-2011, 06:17 PM
it told me that i can not put windows on the drive, because it isn't formatted. so is it ok to format the ssd drive in ntfs?

JRd1st
12-04-2011, 06:33 PM
yes

AQUASTEVAE
12-04-2011, 07:34 PM
up and running. thanks!

JRd1st
12-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Woohoo! Go slow with what you load and look into buying Acronis True Image

BrodyBoy
12-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Woohoo! Go slow with what you load and look into buying Acronis True Image
I've helped walk quite a few new owners through clean installs, and your "go slow" suggestion is one of the best pieces of advice there is! Almost invariably, the mistakes people make (and oh, the possibilities there are endless!) are caused by rushing and forging ahead before they're sure what they're doing. Taking a little extra time to get it right.... the first time....actually saves a lot of time and headaches in the end.

Not saying that applies to you, AQUASTEVAE, but it's worth emphasizing for anyone contemplating their first clean install.

The Nemesis
12-04-2011, 10:26 PM
I used AI recovery burner to backup the out of box state image, moved orginal hard drive over to #2 bay, disabled it in bios. Installed SSD in #1 bay, intalled image from the DVD's. Then restored out of box state on SSD. Probably a long process but I wanted the out of box image on my ssd so I could wipe and reformat the 750GB drive for storage.

JRd1st
12-04-2011, 10:36 PM
That's an interesting method.

Please update your wifi driver if you have the Atheros or Azureware card

BrodyBoy
12-04-2011, 10:54 PM
I used AI recovery burner to backup the out of box state image, moved orginal hard drive over to #2 bay, disabled it in bios. Installed SSD in #1 bay, intalled image from the DVD's. Then restored out of box state on SSD. Probably a long process but I wanted the out of box image on my ssd so I could wipe and reformat the 750GB drive for storage.
That's certainly a way to get the out-of-box setup on the SSD. I think a lot of folks with new SSDs wouldn't necessarily want that installation, but that's a way to do it. An easier way would be to just save a system image to the second drive, swap out HHD1 with the new SSD, and use a recovery disc to restore the image onto the SSD. Not so much swapping, and you save nearly two hours burning those tedious DVDs!

You must have a big SSD....256Gb? The OEM system drive is pretty big, so a restore image (in Windows anyway) will usually balk if you try to put it on a smaller drive than the original.

The Nemesis
12-04-2011, 11:12 PM
SSD is 180GB Corsair. I wanted the image on the ssd because I typically restore my out of box state evey 4 to six months on notebooks to keep 'em speedy. My mp3's, Itunes Digital Copies, Downloads, and steam directory are all on the 750GB storage drive. BF3, Crysis2, Super Street Fighter IV AE, and games as such are on SSD however. Restore image is 25GB so I was left with a 142GB SSD C Drive.

The Nemesis
12-04-2011, 11:38 PM
That's an interesting method.

Please update your wifi driver if you have the Atheros or Azureware card

By the way I have the Atheros AR9002WB-1NG card. I haven't updated drivers other than GPU. Is there a reason I should update this one?

JRd1st
12-04-2011, 11:47 PM
By the way I have the Atheros AR9002WB-1NG card. I haven't updated drivers other than GPU. Is there a reason I should update this one?

Because that driver the unit ships with causes alltypes of problems. Look for the sticky about the Atheros driver.

BrodyBoy
12-05-2011, 01:05 AM
SSD is 180GB Corsair. I wanted the image on the ssd because I typically restore my out of box state evey 4 to six months on notebooks to keep 'em speedy. My mp3's, Itunes Digital Copies, Downloads, and steam directory are all on the 750GB storage drive. BF3, Crysis2, Super Street Fighter IV AE, and games as such are on SSD however. Restore image is 25GB so I was left with a 142GB SSD C Drive.
Hmmmm....if you want speedy, the out-of-box state is not the way to go. Nothing beats a clean install for a clean, mean machine. But hey, it's all your call, of course.

Absolutely update the WLAN driver. The one that ships is known to be bad.

On that note, I understand your motivation in "refreshing" every few months...keeping the machine in tip-top shape. And in many kinds of products, the brand new out-of-box condition is as good as it gets....that's what you want to strive for. But this is a situation where that assumption is false. These computers ship from with the factory with some bad software installed, and many outdated drivers. In at least one case (the Azurewave driver), we know that it's just a bad, disruptive driver. It's been updated a few times for a reason.

So....in this case, out-of-the-box is NOT optimal operating condition. By re-imaging that every few months, you're actually going backwards.....those original drivers are even older, even more obsolete with every image restore. A better approach, if you're inclined to take the next step, is to do an absolutely clean Windows installation, with only the latest versions of the essential drivers, and image THAT for restoring every few months. Or the ultimate clean solution would be to do a new installation every few months with the latest drivers each time.

The Nemesis
12-05-2011, 01:24 AM
All the latest drivers etc. are installed after my out of box restore because the are on the second drive. I still make an image once latest drivers, games and apps are installed. I restore from that in the event I have some critical windows failure. My out the box restores are not exactly ideal I suppose, but it's what I like and I don't mind the extra work reinstalling everythingelse after :)