PDA

View Full Version : G74SX charger

Sailg
12-04-2011, 11:46 PM
Hi, I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question, if not, I apologize before hand.

I have bought a G74SX to work, meaning I need to travel with the laptop.

My problem is that the charger that comes with the G74SX is too big and really heavy.

I believe it is a 150W charger.

My question is can I use a 90W charger on this pc? I saw a few at the Walmart real cheap.

Do you know a light travel charger for this and where to get it?

Thank you for your help

SG

TeckTime
12-05-2011, 12:27 AM
Hi, I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question, if not, I apologize before hand.

I have bought a G74SX to work, meaning I need to travel with the laptop.

My problem is that the charger that comes with the G74SX is too big and really heavy.

I believe it is a 150W charger.

My question is can I use a 90W charger on this pc? I saw a few at the Walmart real cheap.

Do you know a light travel charger for this and where to get it?

Thank you for your help

SG

You'll need to wait for someone with a bit more experience on these laptops to respond, but I think you have to stick with the 150w adapter. The power specifications for the components within your laptop need a certain amount of wattage to operate within their respective power parameters.

BrodyBoy
12-05-2011, 12:32 AM
You need a transformer that provides the amperage the laptop is designed to use. If you use one that can provide more, it just goes unused. BUt if you tru to use one that provides too little, the laptop power supply is strained and you're likely to get overheating, potentially to dangerous levels. In other words, don't do it.

You may be able to find a more compact transformer if you look....but it DOES need to provide the G74 with the power it requires.

fostert
12-05-2011, 04:36 AM
A smaller one that is still rated at 19 volts and <150 watts would work, but you will want to ensure that you don't tax the system at all (no gaming!) and that you don't charge the battery while using the system too. Soft computing like word processing, net surfing, etc will not force the laptop to draw more current than the transformer can deliver while staying under its rated wattage (Wattage = volts x amps).

JIC Windows goes off on some sort of a background processing binge, I would not try something <100W. Remember, the CPU TDP is 45W, while the GPU is a whopping TDP=75W (at full load)! Thats 120W right there, and that doesn't even cover the screen, mainboard, fans, and HDDs.
If you plan on gaming, use the 150W exclusively.

fostert
12-05-2011, 04:54 AM
Its too bad the G74 can't switch to using the on-die graphics chip from the discrete 560M. Then we could all carry light 75W transformers in our backpacks while on the road!

JRd1st
12-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Would a "light" charger fully charge the battery if the notebook was off the whole time? Like a 19.5v 3.4A car charger?

xeromist
12-05-2011, 11:01 PM
Would a "light" charger fully charge the battery if the notebook was off the whole time? Like a 19.5v 3.4A car charger?

Probably. My guess is that the charging amperage is relatively low. I think I would test with a watt meter first though to be sure. The problem is that I could see a friend/family member/coworker turning it on because they want to see or use your cool laptop. Or if I needed to use it for an extended period even with outlets everywhere I'd be SOL. Personally I'll just carry the brick. These laptops are already so massive, what's another brick?