PDA

View Full Version : G74SX - WLAN Options

TeckTime
12-05-2011, 12:40 AM
Hey folks:

I've reviewed several threads in the forum about swapping out wireless lan cards for the G74SX. Most folks have gone with a variant from Intel. Has anyone tried one of Bigfoot Networks Killer 1102 or 1103 cards?

BrodyBoy
12-05-2011, 02:06 AM
Hey folks:

I've reviewed several threads in the forum about swapping out wireless lan cards for the G74SX. Most folks have gone with a variant from Intel. Has anyone tried one of Bigfoot Networks Killer 1102 or 1103 cards?
I can't remember anybody here mentioning that they use either of those.

Any particular reason you're interested in the Bigfoots?

JRd1st
12-05-2011, 06:13 AM
Someone over at NBR tried one and couldn't get it to work, but that may be the exception.

BrodyBoy
12-05-2011, 07:06 AM
Someone over at NBR tried one and couldn't get it to work, but that may be the exception.
Well, it IS Atheros, after all.....

JRd1st
12-05-2011, 09:04 AM
Bigfoot is manufactured by Atheros? Then it should be Big Foot in pile of crap. :D

BrodyBoy
12-05-2011, 09:49 AM
Bigfoot is manufactured by Atheros? Then it should be Big Foot in pile of crap. :D
lol! Now be nice!

It's confusing because we commonly call Asus' WLAN cards "Atheros." But Atheros is actually just the chip manufacturer...they don't make any cards. Asus installs cards made by Azurewave, a Chinese company that uses Atheros chips. Similarly, Bigfoot Networks also makes a line of WLAN cards based on Atheros chips.

My issue with all those cards is that Atheros seems to consider itself an enterprise supplier, not a consumer-level company. It supplies chips and somebody else implements them. So users are dependent on that somebody else for drivers. As we've seen, that somebody else (yes, Asus....that means you!) can really drop the ball at times. And we have no where to turn when they do, because Atheros doesn't provide end-user support.

Intel is the only WLAN card brand that makes its own chips, makes its own cards, writes its own drivers, and provides end-user support...even though they are also a major enterprise supplier. They can't really point fingers when their product has issues. As a consumer, I like that model better.

JRd1st
12-05-2011, 10:09 AM
Yup, and the Intel minicards are reasonably priced IMO.