PDA

View Full Version : g74sx trouble

frewi
12-05-2011, 01:10 AM
Hey folks i am new to these forums and have seem to have run into a problem with my recovery,its open (reason its open its i tryed to restore it when i had linux and it screwed up) and i cant restore it says there is another partiton when i retry the dvds sadly also posting this via galaxy captivate due to no wireless drivers

BrodyBoy
12-05-2011, 01:12 AM
Hey folks i am new to these forums and have seem to have run into a problem with my recovery,its open (reason its open its i tryed to restore it when i had linux and it screwed up) and i cant restore it says there is another partiton when i retry the dvds sadly also posting this via galaxy captivate due to no wireless drivers
You're trying to do a factory restore? Do you still have the original hard drive installed, with its original partitions?

The Nemesis
12-05-2011, 01:16 AM
The recovery dvd's should say there's an existing partion or hard drive has changed and repartion drive. If you are restoring from Ai Recovery DVD that you first made try deleting all partitions on drive first then boot from dvd to install recovery partition, then remove dvd, boot pressing f9 and restore from recovery partition.

BrodyBoy
12-05-2011, 01:20 AM
The recovery dvd's should say there's an existing partion or hard drive has changed and repartion drive. If you are restoring from Ai Recovery DVD that you first made try deleting all partitions on drive first then boot from dvd to install recovery partition, then remove dvd, boot pressing f9 and restore from recovery partition.
DO NOT DO THAT! DO NOT DELETE PARTITIONS. If the recovery DVDs are not working, you may well lose the only chance you have for a successful factory restore.

frewi
12-05-2011, 01:22 AM
Yes i do have the orginal hard drive in it and yes i tryed to restore it but failed edit - wow fast replyers anyways i stll got the recovery partiton my guessing is because its open it wont work(ready tryed f9 and it didnt work might try again)

BrodyBoy
12-05-2011, 01:23 AM
You tried with the DVDs?

BrodyBoy
12-05-2011, 01:30 AM
Try a factory restore from the recovery partition (no DVDs):

Immediately after powering up, hit the F9 function key repeatedly.
When the menu opens, confirm that you want to proceed. This will restores the computer to the exact out-of-box condition it shipped with from the factory. Everything on the primary disc will be overwritten.
The whole thing takes about 45 minutes, and requires no input on your part as it runs. Just leave it....don't touch anything.
After the factory restore, its final reboot will look like you're turning the computer on for the first time, and you should be good to go.

Again, it takes awhile.....don't touch anything until you're positive it's done.

frewi
12-05-2011, 01:36 AM
Yes i did a few minutes ago and it just said there was another partiton and it couldnt continue also i randomly just checked my harddrive and the second one is not there , now this is worrying unless my dvds did something i really dont know edit - ok let me retry f9

BrodyBoy
12-05-2011, 01:39 AM
Yes i did a few minutes ago and it just said there was another partiton and it couldnt continue also i randomly just checked my harddrive and the second one is not there , now this is worrying unless my dvds did something i really dont know
If they started the restore process and then failed, it's possible (likely) that they messed up the primary drive. But they shouldn't have done anything to the second hard drive.

What about just system restore? If you have that turned on, you should have restore points back to before that Linux experiment.

TeckTime
12-05-2011, 01:43 AM
Try a factory restore from the recovery partition (no DVDs):

Immediately after powering up, hit the F9 function key repeatedly.
When the menu opens, confirm that you want to proceed. This will restores the computer to the exact out-of-box condition it shipped with from the factory. Everything on the primary disc will be overwritten.
The whole thing takes about 45 minutes, and requires no input on your part as it runs. Just leave it....don't touch anything.
After the factory restore, its final reboot will look like you're turning the computer on for the first time, and you should be good to go.

Again, it takes awhile.....don't touch anything until you're positive it's done.

Which partition is the recovery partition? I was planning to do the clean install of windows and drivers in the next few days; I don't want to reformat the wrong partition. I was planning to setup one partition only during the windows setup process.

The Nemesis
12-05-2011, 01:45 AM
The Ai recovery dvd's only install the original recovery partion onto your drive. If this partion is already present I believe that may be causing the error you are getting. Again, the recovery dvd's install the recovery partition back onto the drive. Afterwards you still have to do the f9 restore. I still think deleting all partitions on drive and reinstalling recovery partition from dvd's would work. If they are some how corrupt that would be a problem but not something we cant get around. :) Disable your second drive in bios under security.

frewi
12-05-2011, 01:45 AM
Well f9 didnt work (it just restarted the laptop) i also i checked device manager to see if the second one is there and it wasnt there rip second drive never knewya edit - the nemesis you just gave me an idea but first backup time

BrodyBoy
12-05-2011, 01:48 AM
Which partition is the recovery partition? I was planning to do the clean install of windows and drivers in the next few days; I don't want to reformat the wrong partition. I was planning to setup one partition only during the windows setup process.

The recovery partition is a 25Gb "hidden" partition right before the C: drive. In most OEM setups, this will show up as Disc 0 Partition 1 when you do your clean install.

BrodyBoy
12-05-2011, 01:50 AM
Well f9 didnt work (it just restarted the laptop) i also i checked device manager to see if the second one is there and it wasnt there rip second drive never knewya
No....don't necessarily assume that it's gone for good.

If you're in Windows, how about a system restore?

The Nemesis
12-05-2011, 01:54 AM
Well f9 didnt work (it just restarted the laptop) i also i checked device manager to see if the second one is there and it wasnt there rip second drive never knewya

Don't quite understand the last part of your post pertaining to second drive.

Right click computer, select manage, select disk management. This will show all drives in system and how they are partitioned. Perhaps the recovery attempt has partitions not active.

frewi
12-05-2011, 02:19 AM
To brodyboy - the thing is i am not in my orginal windows i had to install vista to fix my bootloader(had grub) and to nemesis - i am saying the partitons are not there not even in disk management edit - i guess this is a dead end :(

BrodyBoy
12-05-2011, 02:28 AM
Well, let's see.....the options are narrowing. :( Do you have a System Repair disc, or do you have access to a Windows computer where you could burn one?

If you are unable to boot into a Win 7 installation that you believe is present, Start Up Repair would be the next step. If, on the other hand, you think your Windows installation is fundamentally damaged by the Linux stuff or something else, then there would be no recovering it. You would need to re-install.

I'm confused though. If you are "in Vista" on the computer in question, you aren't looking at anything in the Win 7 installation, including Device Manager or Disk Management. So this isn't telling you anything at all about the condition of your Win 7 installation. Did you install Vista on another partition?

frewi
12-05-2011, 02:32 AM
No let me be more clearer - the vista is on the g74sx and yes i do have acess to a windows 7 dvd from toshiba but need to find it first edit- no its on c/main parition also i dont have warrenty so if its screwed its screwed unless i make coustom partiton with the drivers or something

BrodyBoy
12-05-2011, 02:42 AM
So....just to help me be clear:

(1) You believe there is a Windows installation on one partition on your G74, but it won't boot. You are trying to fix that, i.e., make that installation work again?

(2) You have also installed Vista on a different partition on the G74. That installation seems to work okay. Is it permanent....do you need the Vista installation?

(3) You have a Windows 7 disk from a Toshiba computer.....does that mean a Windows installer disk? A repair disk? A system recovery disk for the Toshiba?

Sorry for all the questions, but it just wastes time if we're not all on the same page about exactly what the situation is and what we're trying to fix.

frewi
12-05-2011, 02:49 AM
So....just to help me be clear:

(1) You believe there is a Windows installation on one partition on your G74, but it won't boot. You are trying to fix that, i.e., make that installation work again? - its the recovery i am trying to fix

(2) You have also installed Vista on a different partition on the G74. That installation seems to work okay. Is it permanent....do you need the Vista installation?

(3) You have a Windows 7 disk from a Toshiba computer.....does that mean a Windows installer disk? A repair disk? A system recovery disk for the Toshiba?

Sorry for all the questions, but it just wastes time if we're not all on the same page about exactly what the situation is and what we're trying to fix.

1.i am talking about the recovery which is the one in question

2.i hope its not permanet :( /no its not

3.its an windows installer

The Nemesis
12-05-2011, 02:50 AM
I still believe you should disable your second drive in bios. delete all partions on your boot drive and use recovery dvd to reinstall the recovery partition onto your boot drive. Then recover from that partition booting using F9. Yes it will erase everything on your drive but if you were trying get back to out of box state this will do it.

BrodyBoy
12-05-2011, 03:00 AM
Since you have a Windows 7 installer.....why not just do a clean install at this point? A restore of the Asus installation is not worth this much trouble. Just installing Windows and the eight or so drivers you need take about an hour.

It's not like there's anything you're trying to save. You are looking to overwrite your C: drive anyway.

frewi
12-05-2011, 03:12 AM
I still believe you should disable your second drive in bios. delete all partions on your boot drive and use recovery dvd to reinstall the recovery partition onto your boot drive. Then recover from that partition booting using F9. Yes it will erase everything on your drive but if you were trying get back to out of box state this will do it.

How do you go by disableing the hard drive? Edit i gotta look for it first il start tomorrow to look for it

The Nemesis
12-05-2011, 03:38 AM
In bios choose security tab then i/o interface security

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/8428/img0790ty.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/38/img0790ty.jpg/)

now choose HD interface and select lock

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/7123/img0793n.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/37/img0793n.jpg/)

frewi
12-05-2011, 03:48 AM
Well il be damed it works Thank you! :D thanks to those who helped me in general :)

The Nemesis
12-05-2011, 04:16 AM
Let us know when you get back up and running the way ya want :)

frewi
12-05-2011, 07:51 PM
it's backup and running like original :cool: anyways now back to finding something to do.:p

degercan
12-17-2011, 06:25 AM
guyz I want to return my g74sx because since i bought it their is a clicking sound starting when i press to power button and then the clicking continues but believe me you guys can easily hear the sound.... I bought it from best buy and is it possible for me to give it back... I had my warranties everything set up but since the time i took it their is a clicking sound and now when i try to open my pc it always open the recovery mode i don't know what to do... I have kyspersky and my pc is all protected but did not understand this issue!!!!!!! help me please! When i power off and open again = recovery sometimes it normally opens windows but i still hear clicking sound i will be returning it back but does best buy take it back even its 3 month old? also i went to best buy for help they thought it helped me but it didn't ...

BrodyBoy
12-17-2011, 07:57 AM
i will be returning it back but does best buy take it back even its 3 month old? also i went to best buy for help they thought it helped me but it didn't ...Their return period is 14 days, so I think 3 months is more wiggle room than they will give you.

Assuming a return/exchange is not an option, I would say you need to try and repair the configuration yourself, or take it to them and see if they can recover it for you.

If the recovery partition is still intact, I'd say you should try a factory restore. (Press F9 immediately after powering up.) If that's not working, and you (hopefully) made a set of recovery disks, try to boot from those and restore it that way.

380mcn
12-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Since you have a Windows 7 installer.....why not just do a clean install at this point? A restore of the Asus installation is not worth this much trouble. Just installing Windows and the eight or so drivers you need take about an hour.

It's not like there's anything you're trying to save. You are looking to overwrite your C: drive anyway.

+1!
to say this i need to write 10 characters..

BrodyBoy
12-17-2011, 07:11 PM
+1!
to say this i need to write 10 characters..
Is the thread you meant to respond to?

I didn't see anything about a Windows installer.....(and I didn't post that reply to this user).

380mcn
12-17-2011, 07:44 PM
Is the thread you meant to respond to?

I didn't see anything about a Windows installer.....(and I didn't post that reply to this user).

not it wasn't regarding this thread!
give me my old forum please!!!