PDA

View Full Version : A Few Questions About The ASUS G74SX-XT1, Really Need These Answered................

Enigma
12-05-2011, 02:40 AM
ok guys heres the deal: About 2 months ago i bought a G74SX-XT1 from CompUSA because of the $1600 price tag. Now I want to add a 2nd drive. i called ASUS support , they said this model can support a 2nd drive but only comes with one by default. What I didnt realize was that there are different variations of the g74sx, some of the models under this name dont end in"-XT1" like mine does. I went to open it up today after my 1 TB drive arrived in the mail from NewEgg. But I see my primary HD and a 2nd slot that has an empty cover/mounting case. However, what i dont see is the pinhole slots that the new drive is supposed to be inserted into. Just the slot for the drive but apparently no place to plug it in! So my question is, once and for all, does my model support adding a 2nd drive or not? if not, im gonna be really pissed because i cant get a refund for the drive.

I checked YouTube and saw a vid about how to put a new HD into the g74sx, however it wasnt for my exact model. But the video implied that I would need some kind of ribbon/connector cable that the pins would plug into and the other end is supposed to be inserted elsewhere. at least, thats what i got from watching anyway, had to look really carefully and compare it to mine, even though his model and mine slightly differ but are in the same model line.

Also, do i need to buy mounting brackets from the ASUS store, or does the empty case serve as the mounting bracket? i think its the latter, but im not sure. And do i need to buy a connector cable/ribbon for the drive so that i can wire it from the drive to the motherboard (or whereever its supposed to be plugged in)?

Lastly, I've been looking around for a higher capacity battery (than the default one included by the manufacturer) that holds more charge and lasts longer. Have looked everywhere, cant seem to find one for this model. i'm beginning to think they dont exist for this model, at least not yet because of the relative newness of this line. Also checked the ASUS Store, no luck there. Is there anything available?

If anyone can provide the exact links for the parts ill need to order (if any) then id really appreciate it.

Thanks for any advice/help, reply soon!

BrodyBoy
12-05-2011, 02:54 AM
ok guys heres the deal: About 2 months ago i bought a G74SX-XT1 from CompUSA because of the $1600 price tag. Now I want to add a 2nd drive. i called ASUS support , they said this model can support a 2nd drive but only comes with one by default. What I didnt realize was that there are different variations of the g74sx, some of the models under this name dont end in"-XT1" like mine does. I went to open it up today after my 1 TB drive arrived in the mail from NewEgg. But I see my primary HD and a 2nd slot that has an empty cover/mounting case. However, what i dont see is the pinhole slots that the new drive is supposed to be inserted into. Just the slot for the drive but apparently no place to plug it in! So my question is, once and for all, does my model support adding a 2nd drive or not? if not, im gonna be really pissed because i cant get a refund for the drive.
Yes, it does, but it needs a couple parts....the connector board and the ribbon cable.

I checked YouTube and saw a vid about how to put a new HD into the g74sx, however it wasnt for my exact model.The drive bays are the same on all G74s.

Also, do i need to buy mounting brackets from the ASUS store, or does the empty case serve as the mounting bracket? i think its the latter, but im not sure. And do i need to buy a connector cable/ribbon for the drive so that i can wire it from the drive to the motherboard (or whereever its supposed to be plugged in)?As mentioned, you need the connector and ribbon cable. If you don't have a drive caddy, you need that too.

Lastly, I've been looking around for a higher capacity battery (than the default one included by the manufacturer) that holds more charge and lasts longer. Have looked everywhere, cant seem to find one for this model. i'm beginning to think they dont exist for this model, at least not yet because of the relative newness of this line. Also checked the ASUS Store, no luck there. Is there anything available?No.

Adding a second drive in one-drive configurations like yours is discussed routinely...almost daily....around here. You could search or just browse threads from the past few days and all this information is readily available.

Enigma
12-05-2011, 03:02 AM
i searched beforehand but couldnt find a clear answer to the questions so i decided to ask.

And on the ASUS store, what exactly do i need to query for? is just "connector board" and "ribbon cable" enough or do the parts have specific names? also not sure what a drive caddy is. if its the empty case that sits beside the main HD, then i guess i already have one. if not................then i'll have to order it.

Thanks!

BrodyBoy
12-05-2011, 03:13 AM
I recently posted all this info in this thread. (http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?6586-Question-about-the-G74-s-second-hdd-bay)

This is the drive caddy (http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4018). It's a piece of hardware, a "holder" for the drive itself. You need another one for the second drive, just like the one that's holding the existing drive.