PDA

View Full Version : New G53SX - problem with fan

stevet1
12-05-2011, 04:00 AM
Hello, new to the site. I've got a problem I hope someone can help with.

Bought a new G53Sx. Booted it up, tested everything, it was perfect. So I proceeded to shut it off. I disassembled the chassis and upgrade to a SSD - Intel 320, and placed a WD Scorpio Black into the 2nd HD cage.

I noticed that the fan(s) were spinning at max and were loud, but i though it was probably a random issue since there was no OS on board yet. I installed Win 7, and sure enough on reboot, fans were down, nice and quiet. So I installed all my apps, etc. everything was great.

I closed the lid, let the machine sleep. Next day when I opened the lid, G53sx came on with fans full blast again. Downloaded HWmonitor from CPUID, temps were nice and low 35degrees. Rebooted several times, once I was able to turn off fans by entering BIOS. I thought it may have been BIOS related, so I upgraded BIOS to most recent 205, but it didn't help.

Now, no mater what I do, both fans are going full blast. They start at full speed right at power button press, even before POST. It sounds like they are going to slow down for a split second, and then they keep ramp up again and stay on full. I've got a mini-blow dryer of a laptop now. Everything else is running fine, no problems. Can anyone help me out please?

JRd1st
12-05-2011, 06:20 AM
Did you try "passive cooling mode" Look in the powercfg advanced options

stevet1
12-06-2011, 03:07 AM
Did you try "passive cooling mode" Look in the powercfg advanced options

How exactly does one do that? I did turn on passive cooling in the power plan advanced options... no difference. Fans are permanently stuck on full blast.

Anyone else have any ideas? I've submitted a ticket through the ASUS website. So far no reply.

dstrakele
12-06-2011, 04:02 AM
When you updated your BIOS, did you enter and choose "Load Optimized Defaults" - F9?

Zepherith
12-06-2011, 04:24 AM
I just registered for this forum for the sake of saying this exact same thing happened to me. I currently can use the laptop but it sounds like my laptop is perpetually taking off. Has there been any headway in this issue?

JRd1st
12-06-2011, 05:02 AM
Probably the gpu fan. Try another nvidia driver.

This used to happen on my desktopand my ols gt7800. Only a reboot helped,but it was the gpu fan.

Zepherith
12-06-2011, 07:08 AM
I did a complete reinstall of 7 and still it's having this issue. One thing I find weird is that it starts spinning the second it boots so I'm worried it's something more than drivers. I'm downloading a different driver nonetheless, fingers crossed!

Zepherith
12-06-2011, 08:46 AM
Alright, so I installed the latest beta, the latest certified, and the one posted on asus driver page with no success. At this point I've run out of ideas :[...

JRd1st
12-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Alright, so I installed the latest beta, the latest certified, and the one posted on asus driver page with no success. At this point I've run out of ideas :[...

Me too. Do you have Power4Gear hybrid installed? Open it, go into advanced settings, find cooling policy and set it to passive. (Im on an android tablet now, so I can't give you every step)

Are your temps good?

dstrakele
12-06-2011, 03:18 PM
When you updated your BIOS, did you enter and choose "Load Optimized Defaults" - F9?

Zepherith
12-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Me too. Do you have Power4Gear hybrid installed? Open it, go into advanced settings, find cooling policy and set it to passive. (Im on an android tablet now, so I can't give you every step)

Are your temps good?

My C drive has seen more versions of windows than a prostitute sees men on the day after valentines, lol. I've done a clean install with home premium as well as from the recovery partition. No matter which, the system cooling policy was set to passive; whether I did it manually or through p4g it didn't help :/.

As for temps, I used speedfan to take a gander and my highest temp is 37C on Temp1. I'm not clear which one that is but the gpu and the cpu never get above 34C, fluctuating between 30C and 33C typically.

As an aside, I can see the cpu fan speed (a constant 5580rpm) but there is no gpu fan. Is this normal?

That I did and I even did it again for good measure but still nada.

dstrakele
12-07-2011, 08:14 PM
As an aside, I can see the cpu fan speed (a constant 5580rpm) but there is no gpu fan. Is this normal?

That I did [Load Optimized Defaults in BIOS] and I even did it again for good measure but still nada.

That is normal for SpeedFan.

I was hoping the BIOS change would help since you reported entering the BIOS once stopped the high fan speed. I'm outta ideas and am starting to think this may be a hardware issue.

JRd1st
12-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Do you have any unknown devices or devices withno drivers in Device Manager?

I'm thinking a reinstall of the chipset drivers may be something to try.

Zepherith
12-09-2011, 05:55 AM
Finally got to updating all the drivers and still no headway. I'm probably going to return it and get a new one but one thing I've been contemplating is pulling the CMOS battery. Would this do anything or is it generally just a bad idea?