PDA

View Full Version : So uh... How can I clean the fans on this thing?

RYZINN
12-05-2011, 09:49 AM
Hey all, BBK7 owner here. Lowest end model I know but I love it to pieces.

I basically live in a dusty basement (not the best place for a laptop) and was wondering if there was any sort of way I could access the fans without completely tearing this thing apart. I'm sure it'll probably need a cleaning at some point. I'm having no overheating issues or anything like that despite overclocking the absolute **** out of this thing.

Can I just take an airgun to the back of it?

Thanks!

(edit: Also any tips for cleaning the keyboard? I can see some hairs stuck in there?)

BrodyBoy
12-05-2011, 09:55 AM
Some people will tell you to blast compressed air in the vents. Maybe that works....I don't really see how.

I think it's more apt to push some dust inward rather than blow it out. So I think a little gentle vacuuming is a better approach. This works pretty well on the keyboard, too. :)

JRd1st
12-05-2011, 10:08 AM
I think the compressed air works when the fans are on also, the blast loosens the dust then the fans blow it out. But I see your point, also. I always advised vacuuming, too, but then Chastity says it causes deadly static. I've never seen that personally.

Boosted_R
12-05-2011, 10:25 AM
Blowing the vents I personally feel is temporary solution, plus you create a layer of dust on the MB that acts like an insulator trapping heat, and for the dust that stay loose the fan is just going to pull it back again. Pulling it apart is the only proper way (vacuuming kinda works but not a fan of it when u can pull apart a laptop/clean/rebuild in under an hour), i used to pull apart my laptops every 6 months and clean them, but seeing how the G74 is top inlet :D rather than bottom inlet, I would think 10 months to a year, for every cleaning cycle would be fine...........Vacuum or toothbrush for the keyboard

Till this day I don't get why laptops don't have a mini removable air filter..... It would have been so easy to do on the G74 too

BrodyBoy
12-05-2011, 10:35 AM
But I see your point, also. I always advised vacuuming, too, but then Chastity says it causes deadly static. I've never seen that personally.
Good point....I should have added that I make sure it's plugged in, and therefore grounded, when I do this. I suppose I could also take the extra precaution to make sure I'm grounded and touching it at the same time....but I don't.

JRd1st
12-05-2011, 11:41 AM
Someplace I have a set of vacuum mini tools for pc cleaning. Hmmmm, I wonder where they disappeared to....

dstrakele
12-05-2011, 04:57 PM
There are several video guides on YouTube for blowing out laptops with compressed gas. Here is one of them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yyEVSkz_0M

Basically, it is best if you open the bottom of your laptop and blow the dust OUT of the fan exhausts.

380mcn
12-06-2011, 11:43 AM
There are several video guides on YouTube for blowing out laptops with compressed gas. Here is one of them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yyEVSkz_0M

Basically, it is best if you open the bottom of your laptop and blow the dust OUT of the fan exhausts.

But in order to blow OUT dust i have to open this monster (g74) don't i?

JRd1st
12-06-2011, 12:02 PM
Unless you use a vacuum.