PDA

View Full Version : G74 SX and some keyboard problems

jlofqvist
12-05-2011, 04:28 PM
Hello all, and sorry for this question that I guess has been asked a million times before...

I bought my G74sx a few weeks ago and I'm very happy with it performance-wise. Only annoying thing is that some of the keys does not seem to work. A description of the symptoms:

Several of the Fn+F1-12 combos does not work. This includes keyboard dimmer, touchpad lock, audio off/up/down.
Screen brightness and sleep funktions do work. Black screen key (Fn+F7) works. Fn+F8not tested.
Also, the special Power4Gear button seems broken. Nothing happens when I push it.

Computer runs on factory settings, except for updated Nvidia drivers. I also uninstalled some of the bloatw... ahem, less usefull programs included. Stupid me can't remember exactly which ones though except for the games and online storage service. Did I accidently break something here, which ones should I look for and possibly re-install to get my keys working?

Also, will downloading the suggested drivers from one of the stickies or update BIOS fix this problem? While I can handle common driver updates I've never messed with BIOS, and I'm afraid I'll break my lovely machine completely if I do...

You seem like a friendly and knowledagable crowd here, and I look forward to any advice :)

Cheers
Jakob

dstrakele
12-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Try executing C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey\HControl.exe. You may need to do this from the Command Prompt, starting it by right-clicking on CMD.EXE and choosing "Run as administrator" from the popup menu.

If that fails, uninstall the ASUS ATK Package from "Control Panel - Uninstall a program", REBOOT, and reinstall ATK Package 1.00.0014. The ATK Package controls all of the Fn key combinations on your system.

jlofqvist
12-05-2011, 04:44 PM
Running HControl.exe worked, thanks a lot! How do I make the computer run it on startup?

dstrakele
12-05-2011, 04:48 PM
I believe you're OK at this point. But launch MSCONFIG.EXE and select the "Startup" tab and confirm "ATK Hotkey" has its checkbox checked.

jlofqvist
12-05-2011, 05:34 PM
Updated the drivers, and now after reboot everything seems to work perfectly. Thanks for the help!

By the way, now that I'm in the updating flow, any other drivers you would recomend updating?

JRd1st
12-05-2011, 06:10 PM
If you have the Atheros Wifi card, update the driver and then your notebook will operate even more perfectly. See my Drivers, etc sticky.

dstrakele
12-05-2011, 06:11 PM
The Atheros Wireless Network Adapter driver is the most important to update by far. It must be version 9.2.1.432 or later to avoid DPC Latency problems in the stock G74SX Atheros driver that cause many problems. See http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5126-Any-Kind-of-Lag-and-Atheros-WiFi-Card for more details.

EDIT: Beat me by a minute there, JR!

I'll also recommend using the DPC Latency Checker (see http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s&p=38072&viewfull=1#post38072) to see if there are any other drivers causing latency on your system.