PDA

View Full Version : Help!

olounda
12-05-2011, 10:25 PM
So the backlights on my keyboard dont work (g74sx), after having the motherboard replaced. I pulled the laptop apart to make sure the 2 ribbon cables are plugged in, and sure enough, they are, which is leading me to belive that somewhere there is a short in the ribbon cable and the keyboard needs to be replaced. Not an issue. (bear in mind i bought the machine in october, so it is still very much under warranty).

The issue lies here.

1. Official Asus repair wants me to ship the whole machine to them so they can do an hours worth of work to replace the keyboard. I asked them if they could ship me a keyboard and I would have one of their local repair centers do it, and they said no.
2. Best buy wants me to ship the whole machine to them so they can do an hours worth of work to replace the keyboard. I asked them if they could ship the local store a keyboard to allow them to replace it, and they said no. Funny thing about best buy, is NOBODY has the number for the repair center in kentucky. Nobody. I'm sending my laptop that i spent a pretty penny on to a place that NOBODY can contact. Not smart.

I used to work in IT, with hp laptops. If something broke on the laptop and it was under warranty, I would call hp, and they would rush a new part to our local repair facility (or to us).

Does anyone here have any idea why asus wont ship a keyboard? a DAMN KEYBOARD. I dont want to ship my machine off for up to 2 weeks for an hour worth of work to be done on it.

If anyone at asus reads this, Please help! I would even pay for shipping!

JRd1st
12-05-2011, 10:33 PM
Execute C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey\HControl.exe and see if that helps.

BrodyBoy
12-05-2011, 10:33 PM
More often than not (in fact, always, as far as I can tell), this is a software/firmware issue. Is there any particular reason you're assuming it's a hardware defect?

Update to the latest firmware using the instruction in the Drivers thread, and install the latest ATK Package (also available in the Drivers thread).

I don't believe Asus ships warranty repair parts to customers. Why? I don't know...it's just the way they choose to do it.

olounda
12-05-2011, 10:38 PM
not assuming its a hardware issue. it is an hardware issue. I have installed the new atk drivers, and ran that hcontrol.exe and get nothing. My backlights worked before they replaced the motherboard, they aren't now. opened it up and verified all the cables are installed, and seated correctly, and still nothing. Also, your backlights should function at bootup, and they do not.

and I dont really care for them to ship it to me, if they could ship it to their local repair facility, or to best buy i would be happy.

BrodyBoy
12-05-2011, 11:43 PM
not assuming its a hardware issue. it is an hardware issue. I have installed the new atk drivers, and ran that hcontrol.exe and get nothing. My backlights worked before they replaced the motherboard, they aren't now. opened it up and verified all the cables are installed, and seated correctly, and still nothing. Also, your backlights should function at bootup, and they do not.

and I dont really care for them to ship it to me, if they could ship it to their local repair facility, or to best buy i would be happy.
By that description, doesn't is seem more likely to be the motherboard then? If the backlight on that keyboard worked until the motherboard was replaced, I would suspect the M/B since that was the part that was changed. That keyboard is known to have functional lights....that M/B is not known to successfully provide that function.

Again, I just don't think Asus does warranty repairs that way. It's a pretty inefficient, ass-backwards approach, but then, we ARE talking about ASUS......

dstrakele
12-06-2011, 12:57 AM
Did you uninstall the previous ATK Package from "Control Panel - Uninstall a program" and then REBOOTED the system prior to installing the new ATK Package?

JRd1st
12-06-2011, 01:17 AM
If the Mb was replaced then its a good bet that they installed the Kb cable incorrectly.

dstrakele
12-06-2011, 01:24 AM
If the clean ATK Package install fails, try "Load Optimized Defaults" in the BIOS by pressing F9. If that fails and you are running BIOS 201, update it to 202 or 203 (as Brody suggested), but be sure to follow the instructions in JR's Drivers and Apps Sticky or you may brick your system.

BrodyBoy
12-06-2011, 01:39 AM
If the Mb was replaced then its a good bet that they installed the Kb cable incorrectly.
I'm not so sure...unless we're talking some Geek Squad newbie or something. The cables have a pretty clear orientation and you'd almost have to intentionally contort them to put them in wrong.

In this photo, the main keyboard cable is the wide one, and the KB power cable is that bright brownish one just to the right of it. They're integrated into the keyboard assembly, so they come out laying flat.....that end is predetermined. Then, there's really nothing else you could with the cable but to fold it back (correctly) to get it into the M/B connector.

But like I said.....I suppose an ambitious Geek could figure out a way to screw it up!

Despite the OP's conclusion, which is perfectly reasonable, it still seems possible that it's just software. We've seen enough of these keyboard lights problems now to know that it doesn't take much to mess them up.

JRd1st
12-06-2011, 04:51 AM
The cable connector was installed upsidedown in another case...

BrodyBoy
12-06-2011, 07:40 AM
The cable connector was installed upsidedown in another case...Yikes....HAD to be the Geek Squad! Like I said, you'd literally have to twist it to do that... (I really hope that wasn't an Asus repair....it's scary to think they could ever be that bad.)

JRd1st
12-06-2011, 11:04 AM
Also, those flat cables aren't always so easy to insert positively, like regular connectors are, unless you're used to doing it.