PDA

View Full Version : G74SX-DH71 - Bios Update

TeckTime
12-06-2011, 06:36 PM
Not necessarily. Try executing C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey\HControl.exe. You may need to do this from the Command Prompt, starting it by right-clicking on CMD.EXE and choosing "Run as administrator" from the popup menu.

If the above succeeds, launch MSCONFIG.EXE, go to the Startup tab, and confirm the "ATK Hotkey" checkbox IS checked.

If executing HControl.exe fails, uninstall the ASUS ATK Package from "Control Panel - Uninstall a program", REBOOT, and reinstall ATK Package 1.00.0014. The ATK Package controls all of the Fn key combinations on your system.

NOTE: In the future, please either add to an existing thread that discusses the specific issue or post a new thread. Let's keep this thread ONLY for announcements of new Drivers, Apps, or How-To Guides.

I was unable to execute HControl.exe as an admin and confirmed that ATK Hotkey was checked in msconfig.exe. Uninstalled the ATK package per your instructions, rebooted, reinstalled the new ATK package 1.00.0014, rebooted. Attempted to open HControl again but no luck. The UAC box comes up and I click on yes but nothing comes up.

Is the HControl the only avenue to turning the backlight back on?

dstrakele
12-06-2011, 07:14 PM
When you logged on after installing ATK 1.00.0014, did you hit the Fn-F4 key combination to turn on the keyboard backlight?

TeckTime
12-07-2011, 03:44 PM
When you logged on after installing ATK 1.00.0014, did you hit the Fn-F4 key combination to turn on the keyboard backlight?

Nope; excuse me while I go hang my head in shame.

lol, next time I'll review the owner manual.

dstrakele
12-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Nope; excuse me while I go hang my head in shame.

No worries! I've done worse. Glad to hear the issue is resolved.

BrodyBoy
12-07-2011, 08:14 PM

The what...? ;)

JRd1st
12-07-2011, 08:21 PM
Seriously... there's a MANUAL? Then what are we here for? :D