PDA

View Full Version : G74SX-DH71 - Clean Install Review

TeckTime
12-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Hey Folks:

Let me know if I may be missing anything within these steps or if I need to reverse anything:

1. Install Windows 7 SP1

2. Install Intel Chipset Driver using cmd line -overall, reboot

3. Install Intel RST, reboot

4. Install Realtek LAN, reboot

5. Download all current updates for Windows 7

6. Install remaining drivers from JRd1st's "Driver's, Apps, and How-to's", making sure to reboot between each driver installation.

Thanks for your time.

Teck

BrodyBoy
12-07-2011, 07:41 PM
You don't need to install the chipset that way when installing the first time. The overall switch is useful for later when you want it to re-install all chipset driver components, i.r., if they have been overwritten or corrupted. The first time, just run the executable installer.

I install all the essential drivers before doing Windows updates....otherwise, Windows may detect missing drivers and find ones that I don't want.

Otherwise, looks pretty good.

dstrakele
12-07-2011, 07:49 PM
If you are using a wireless connection, I'd recommend copying the most recent Atheros driver to a USB 2.0 flash drive so you can install it after Windows. I found that running the SETUP.EXE in Atheros driver folder produced an error when I attempted this on my clean Windows 7SP1 install, but choosing "Update Driver" in the "Network Adapter" Properties of Device Manager and pointing to the Atheros directory on my flash drive succeeded. Apparently, Windows 7 did not recognize the Atheros card as such without a driver installed.

I think you may be missing the step "Taking the name of the Lord in vain and pulling out my hair" somewhere in your list. ;>{)>

BrodyBoy
12-07-2011, 07:56 PM
I found that running the SETUP.EXE in Atheros driver folder produced an error when I attempted this on my clean Windows 7SP1 install, but choosing "Update Driver" in the "Network Adapter" Properties of Device Manager and pointing to the Atheros directory on my flash drive succeeded. Apparently, Windows 7 did not recognize the Atheros card as such without a driver installed.
Yeah, that main setup.exe file doesn't work, presumably because it hasn't been customized somehow for our machines. But the setup.exe installer in the Install_CD subfolder does work. So I just use that one.

JRd1st
12-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Only install drivers for devives you have. Dont install the Synaptics driver if you have a Sentelic touchpad, etc...

Doan
12-08-2011, 01:49 AM
Only install drivers for devives you have. Dont install the Synaptics driver if you have a Sentelic touchpad, etc...After installing the drivers from the CD on my fresh install, I wanted to make sure they were up to date, so I checked Asus' G74 Driver page (http://usa.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G74SX/#download), and drove myself crazy trying to figure out why the touchpad drivers had a V9.0.2.2 released April 13, V9.0.2.7 released May 26, V9.1.3.5 released July 4, and then it jumped to V15.2.16.1 released 3 months before V9.1.3.5. They need to add another row to the tables on that page, "Model" ><

BrodyBoy
12-08-2011, 01:54 AM
After installing the drivers from the CD on my fresh install, I wanted to make sure they were up to date, so I checked Asus' G74 Driver page (http://usa.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G74SX/#download), and drove myself crazy trying to figure out why the touchpad drivers had a V9.0.2.2 released April 13, V9.0.2.7 released May 26, V9.1.3.5 released July 4, and then it jumped to V15.2.16.1 released 3 months before V9.1.3.5. They need to add another row to the tables on that page, "Model" ><
Don't ever expect the Asus product page downloads to make sense, or to be up to date. ;)

That last one, by the way, sounds like a Synaptics driver.

Doan
12-08-2011, 02:17 AM
Yeah, last one's Synaptics, but you can't tell until you download it :/

JRd1st
12-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Yeah, last one's Synaptics, but you can't tell until you download it :/

Is that any way to run a business? Seriously . . . :rolleyes:

Hideaki
12-10-2011, 12:36 AM
I did a clean install myself today, using the Windows 7 install iso from this thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s) and entering the product key from the bottom of the notebook. But now Windows is saying something about '3 days until activation' and that the product key I entered is invalid?

Edit: Nevermind. Chose 'enter new key' and put in the same key again and it worked. Strange that it would complain though, I can't have made a typo what with those offline checks during installation.

TeckTime
12-15-2011, 07:49 PM
I think you may be missing the step "Taking the name of the Lord in vain and pulling out my hair" somewhere in your list. ;>{)>

Beginning my clean install right now.... queue the head-bashing into wall....

dstrakele
12-15-2011, 08:05 PM
Beginning my clean install right now.... queue the head-bashing into wall....

I remember that step from MY clean install... ;>{)>

TeckTime
12-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Can I skip the Windows Product Key step and run ABR when I'm done with the OS install?

BrodyBoy
12-15-2011, 08:15 PM
If you ran it before you started, yes.

TeckTime
12-15-2011, 08:18 PM
I did; skipped that step. I'll run ABR once i'm done installing all of the latest drivers and prior to updating windows

BrodyBoy
12-15-2011, 08:21 PM
I did; skipped that step. I'll run ABR once i'm done installing all of the latest drivers and prior to updating windows
Not sure what you're saying.

If you skipped that step, you can't use ABR to activate after installation. But if you did run the "activation_backup" application on your old installation, you can use "activation_restore" on the new one.

TeckTime
12-15-2011, 08:23 PM
Sorry. ;) I did run acitivation backup prior to clean install, i'll run activiation restore once all my drivers are updated. ;)

TeckTime
12-15-2011, 09:16 PM
Only one of my 750 gb drives is showing under "Computer"; during the Windows 7 install, it showed both harddrives under "select a harddrive to install windows".

BrodyBoy
12-15-2011, 09:20 PM
So in the Windows Setup selection dialogue, you definitely saw both of your hard drives. But now you have installed Windows, and you're only seeing one of them in Windows Explorer?

Look in Disk Management to see if it shows up there. If you have recently formatted it but not yet created any partitions, it won;t show up in Windows Explorer.

TeckTime
12-15-2011, 09:59 PM
Inside Disk Management now and formatting the drive. Thanks!

TeckTime
12-16-2011, 05:12 AM
Clean install complete; however, I do have two items within Device Manager that have exclamation marks. The first one is under Bluetooth Radios --> Generic Bluetooth Adapter - it appears the Atheros driver package doesn't want to install the driver. The second one is under Other Devices --> USB2.0-CRW. Any ideas/solutions would be greatly appreciated.

dstrakele
12-16-2011, 05:28 AM
You can get the Atheros Bluetooth driver from http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s Make sure you have an alternate Administrative account set up. A user hosed his only administrator account installing this driver and had to reinstall because he no longer had the permissions to update the system or create a new account to allow him to do a System Restore.

The Card Reader (USB2.0-CRW) driver can be obtained from the ASUS Support download site when you specify your laptop model and OS.

BrodyBoy
12-16-2011, 05:30 AM
Clean install complete; however, I do have two items within Device Manager that have exclamation marks. The first one is under Bluetooth Radios --> Generic Bluetooth Adapter - it appears the Atheros driver package doesn't want to install the driver. The second one is under Other Devices --> USB2.0-CRW. Any ideas/solutions would be greatly appreciated.
The second one is the multi-card reader, so it'll go away when you install that driver.

I'm guessing the Atheros driver package you installed was just the WLAN driver....the BT driver is separate. Try installing the standalone BT driver.

PS: Just to add.....don't bother installing the BT driver if you don't think you'll use the BT radio.