PDA

View Full Version : Sentilic APPCRASH on G74SX

ridermtb
12-07-2011, 08:39 PM
I am having an APPCRASH error (see details below) after startup and also after using the F key shortcut to disable the touchpad. I Googled "SentelicTPCfg.exe." and came up with no answers. So tried uninstalling the Sentelic driver, checking my Appdata file for leftover remnants then restarting. With no driver I have no errors, but the touchpad is incredibly touchy (palm brushes) and quite annoying. I tried reinstalling that same driver version and same error reoccurs. I also tried other older driver versions as well as reinstalling the ATK driver. All to no avail. Has anyone else had this error?

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: SentelicTPCfg.exe
Application Version: 1.0.59.2
Application Timestamp: 4d3e25f6
Fault Module Name: ADvdDiscHlp.dll
Fault Module Version: 2.0.3.5
Fault Module Timestamp: 4dac6271
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00003282
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
h*tp://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

dstrakele
12-07-2011, 08:44 PM
Is this a new system? Did the issue happen right out of the box? If so, I'd contact the retailer and see if they will exchange your system for a new unit.

If not, I'd attempt a Windows System Restore to restore your system to an earlier time when you did not experience the touchpad AppCrash issue.

ridermtb
12-07-2011, 08:52 PM
I have had it about a week and have upgraded the RAM and added an new Intel SSD. I did a fresh install and used all the latest drivers and bios from Asus's website. I had no problems for the last week until this morning. I hear you on the System Restore, but the funny thing is I turned it off yesterday as many pros are recommending not using it on an SSD, so I am out of luck in that area. May turn it back on just for scenarios like this. :confused:

dstrakele
12-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Did the AppCrash issue start after you installed the SSD? Are you running the latest firmware update for your SSD?

Have you installed Intel Rapid Storage Technology?

When you upgraded RAM, did you use the identical RAM of your other sticks? You may wish to run memtest86 to confirm your memory is sound.

ridermtb
12-07-2011, 09:08 PM
The error started about 12 hours ago. I installed the SSD and upgraded to the latest firmware a week ago when the laptop was fresh out of the box. I installed the extra 8gbs of RAM this afternoon and and ran Windows Memory Diagnostic. I will run memtest86 tonight. However, since the described APPcrash error occurred first, I doubt it related to the RAM upgrade.

ridermtb
12-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Yes I installed Intel Rapid Storage Technology as well as Intel SSD Toolbox.
The memory is a matched 8gb set that was installed after the error began occurring.
For the record I also updated to Bios 203 out of the box.

BrodyBoy
12-07-2011, 09:56 PM
I know this sounds elemental, so no insult intended. But are you sure you have a Sentelic touchpad? Some drivers can be rather promiscuous and allow themselves to be installed on inappropriate hardware. (Synaptics drivers tend to do this....Sentelic may as well.)

I've noticed many of those 192-bit GPU configurations also have Synaptics touchpads and Intel WLAN cards, for some reason.

BrodyBoy
12-07-2011, 10:01 PM
I hear you on the System Restore, but the funny thing is I turned it off yesterday as many pros are recommending not using it on an SSD, so I am out of luck in that area. May turn it back on just for scenarios like this. :confused:
Hmmm....the "pros" aren't always right. I've seen way too many people in situations where simply rolling back to a restore point is the best solution to their situation, but they've turned it off. Definitely, turn it back on.

dstrakele
12-07-2011, 11:49 PM
I find SentelicTPCfg.exe is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey. I believe this makes it part of the ASUS ATK Package. It could explain why installing different Sentelic drivers had no effect on your issue. I would UNinstall your current ATK Package from "Control Panel - Uninstall a program", then REBOOT, then confirm SentelicTPCfg.exe no longer exists on your system, then reinstall ATK Package 1.00.0014.

Brody's idea to confirm a Sentelic touchpad is also a good idea. Your "Finger Sensing Pad" should have a "Hardware Ids" of STLC141 in the "Details" tab of Properties in Device Manager.

ridermtb
12-08-2011, 01:55 AM
I took all your advice and triple checked not only my touchpad's Hardware ID but also my Wireless LAN hardware. It is definitely Sentelic and Atheros.

Thanks for helping me find the actual app location that was causing the problem! I did exactly as you described uninstalling ATK and rebooting and then reinstalling 1.00.0014 and then rebooting again. I am so happy for 30 sec reboots right about now! After reinstalling the 9.1.3.5 and rebooting, I am getting the error again with a slightly different set of figures because the exe. version is different now. I still see the APPCRASH window after a restart or when hitting the F9 shortcut key.

After thinking about it, I think this APPCRASH is directly related to the F key shortcut (FN + F9) to enable/disable the touchpad when the Sentelic driver is installed. When the driver is not installed the shortcut key does not work. Either with a Microsoft driver or with a Synaptic driver. Therefore it does not crash as it isn't trying to run.

I also tried disabling the internal pointing device from the Bios (203) and after reboot the keyboard lights were working, but all the FN shortcuts were inactive. Go figure. So I re enabled it in the Bios and now am just using the "deactvate the touchpad when a usb mouse is detected" option. Maybe I will try to delete it from the ATK file and see if the error disappears....

dstrakele
12-08-2011, 02:00 AM
What does the error look like now?

Are there any other corresponding Errors or Warnings in either the Application or System Event Logs?

Does Device Manager indicate any devices that are not working properly (i.e with yellow circles)?

AFAIK, your issue is unique. I've never encountered anything like it or reported in this forum or the NBR forum.

I found out Advddischlp1.dll is related to AnyDVD. I suspect there may be a conflict with AnyDVD, ATK, and possibly another app on your system. Are you running the latest version of AnyDVD? If you uninstall this application, does it resolve your issue? See http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=15394 for additional info. Apparently it links to many applications which is not necessarily a problem, but could lead to conflicts.

What Antivirus, AntiMalware, and FIrewall software have you installed on your system?

ridermtb
12-08-2011, 06:21 PM
Fixed thanks to you both and a bit of rooting around in other files. I never would have thought to look beyond the touchpad driver. Now I understand how to read the problem code a bit more, and to expand my search to other programs with potential conflicts.

There were no other errors, neither was there any problems in the device manager. The catch about AnyDVD was correct, but not the fix. The first error message had that specific .dll listed. Look back to the beginning of the thread to see that code.

However, after I upgraded to ATK 1.00.0014, I was getting a new error. See below.

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: SentelicTPCfg.exe
Application Version: 1.0.61.1
Application Timestamp: 4dcb7c5a
Fault Module Name: BrowserWatch.dll_unloaded
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 462914d4
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00323282
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Therefore, when I uninstalled AnyDVD, it made no difference. I still continued to get the same error as above.

For the record, I did try just deleting SentelicTPCfg.exe from the ATK file. The error stopped after that, but I also lost the use of the (FN+F9) shortcut.

This morning I followed your example and googled BrowserWatch.dll. As it turns out, the new conflicting .dll was in a program called Digital File Shredder Pro (Migo Software). After I unistalled that program and reinstalled ATK 1.00.0014 and AnyDVD everything is working great . The shortcut key and driver, and Senetlic software are all working error free. It is a good thing as I can live with out the file shredder, but I could not have done without AnyDVD.

Thanks guys! I reped you both. This brings the issue to a close I believe...

dstrakele
12-08-2011, 06:43 PM
Glad to hear it! Sometimes you have to follow the path that the reported errors lead you. That's why I was interested in how the error changed after you updated the ATK Package. Errors can report victims (in this case AnyDVD) as well as culprits.