PDA

View Full Version : I need Recovery Disk for G74Sx...please help me.

silversun
12-08-2011, 07:12 AM
I just bought a G74Sx recently and i try to back-up the system using AI Recovery. After waiting several hours (6 hrs) the completion bars of the AI recovery was stock somewhere at 50 - 60%. I tried to re-start the whole process but AI recovery prompt "no partition exist" and the hidden RECOVERY partition was named E(10.4GB free of 25GB). I tried to boot with the F9 and system restore option but didn't work. I tried to get a recovery disk copy from Asus service center and personnel but they don't care.

Anybody can help me to create a Recovery Disk?...please help me.

silversun
12-08-2011, 07:24 AM
I tried to download and install the latest version of AI Recovery. But when i run it, prompted " The local backup of factory state Windows has been deleted. You can't use AI Recovery to create the backup copy of your factory state Windows". But the Recovery Local Disk still exist. I don't know what to do next.... please help.

_
12-08-2011, 09:45 AM
Thread moved to G series notebooks.

Doan
12-08-2011, 10:27 AM
If you just bought it, you could format the drive and re-install the OS from scratch. You may prefer not having the extra pre-installed software, anyway.

BrodyBoy
12-08-2011, 10:46 AM
If you just bought it, you could format the drive and re-install the OS from scratch. You may prefer not having the extra pre-installed software, anyway.
Sometimes owners specifically want to do a factory restore, or may want to save a copy of the factory image. In this case, Silversun seems to want a DVD backup of it, but AI Recovery is failing.

JRd1st
12-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Personally, I don't know why anyone would buy this, but here http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3944

BrodyBoy
12-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Personally, I don't know why anyone would buy this, but here http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3944Yeah, seriously.....it's really not worth it. If you've lost the factory image and REALLY want it that badly, send a friendly G74 owner about $10 for 4 DVDs and postage.....

JRd1st
12-08-2011, 11:28 AM
Yeah, seriously.....it's really not worth it. If you've lost the factory image and REALLY want it that badly, send a friendly G74 owner about $10 for 4 DVDs and postage.....

... but won't it have the other member's activation, then?

BrodyBoy
12-08-2011, 07:09 PM
... but won't it have the other member's activation, then?
Ahh...good question. I think the recovery script is generic, but obviously, it must get the product key somewhere in there. I suppose there's some little unique file in each one? (There must be some way that $50 disk accommodates re-activation.)

In any event, I would think you could do the restore offline, then change the product key to your existing one. There's that option to change the key in Computer -> Properties, but it would be interesting to see if ABR could do this as well. I'd love to test it.... Even though some drivers are different, I'm tempted to try restoring the G74 image to my other Asus. Just to see what happens.....! ;)

dstrakele
12-08-2011, 07:43 PM
I just bought a G74Sx recently and i try to back-up the system using AI Recovery. After waiting several hours (6 hrs) the completion bars of the AI recovery was stock somewhere at 50 - 60%. I tried to re-start the whole process but AI recovery prompt "no partition exist" and the hidden RECOVERY partition was named E(10.4GB free of 25GB). I tried to boot with the F9 and system restore option but didn't work. I tried to get a recovery disk copy from Asus service center and personnel but they don't care.

If you just purchased the system, I would contact the retailer and see if you could exchange it for a new unit. Where did you purchase this system?

If they won't exchange AND you don't want to RMA it AND you decided the only way to work around the issue is a clean Windows 7 install, you could try using a disk partitioning utility like Partition Wizard (there is a link in the "Driver, Apps, ad How-to's" Sticky Thread) to hide the E: drive and see if AI Recovery will succeed.

I have no idea if this will work (I have no idea how your hidden ASUS factory partition got renamed to E: either). Partition Wizard will allow you to copy the E: Partition to another partition, so you would not lose it if the operation failed. Still, you'd have to back up your system, because in the worst case, you'd have to reformat and do the clean Windows 7 install.

fostert
12-09-2011, 04:30 AM
Recovery with someone else's DVDs is risky as I think it would be prone to unforeseen problems. If you've got nothing on the OS that you haven't already backed up, I would do a complete overhaul of the partition structure with something like partition magic (or the free gnu version gparted). You don't need a recovery partition: Get a friends computer for an evening and download and burn Win7HP w/SP1 (linked in the stickies on this forum), ASUS drivers and other drivers (again, all neatly packaged in JRd1st's sticky), and you'll have everything that comes on a factory install.
Grab your partition software of choice onto a bootable disc (I use Hiren's BootCD as its the choice of my university's IT department pros, but its up to you).
Wipe the drive by deleting all partitions, and remake the drive with one big partition for Windows (simplest, but you can do what you want with partitions). Obviously the ASUS recovery partition is useless, so no loss there. Install Windows, and then the drivers.

Clean, trimmed and lean system: will boot incredibly fast and be easy to maintain, not fragment near as much or a quickly, and you'll recover 25GB of space used by the old recovery partition.

Old school, but worth the effort IMHO. By starting from square 0 you'll be glad you did and learn something too!

BrodyBoy
12-09-2011, 04:39 AM
I would do a complete overhaul of the partition structure with something like partition magic (or the free gnu version gparted). You don't need a recovery partition:
Wipe the drive by deleting all partitions, and remake the drive with one big partition for Windows (simplest, but you can do what you want with partitions). Obviously the ASUS recovery partition is useless, so no loss there. Install Windows, and then the drivers.

I think you're missing the point a bit. He's not asking how to clean up his system or do a clean install. He specifically DOES want a copy of the recovery partition, and is having trouble making one. Deleting the only copy he currently has of it (the hard drive partition) is about the worst thing he could do to resolve the problem he's asking about.

fostert
12-09-2011, 04:56 AM
You and JR already implied here that a recovery disk is unnecessary, and I agreed, suggesting instead that all contents of such a disk can be downloaded from here already and the space that is taken by the partition itself recovered and used more wisely.

BrodyBoy
12-09-2011, 07:39 AM
You and JR already implied here that a recovery disk is unnecessary, and I agreed, suggesting instead that all contents of such a disk can be downloaded from here already and the space that is taken by the partition itself recovered and used more wisely.
That's not exactly what I have said, though I understand your point. ;)

But again, silversun wasn't talking about whether to keep it on his hard drive or whether it's necessary, or any of that discussion. He just wants a DVD copy of it and ran into trouble with the AI Recovery program. Troubleshooting the issue looks like it means (hopefully) getting the partition back to its expected "hidden & healthy" state, so he has a shot at getting that copy.

silversun
12-10-2011, 05:34 AM
Thank you guys to all your responses, i was wrong and i apologize when i say
"i tried to get a recovery disk copy from Asus service center and personnel but they don't care."
Because i manage to contact the ASUS Service Center here in Dubai. They have done a great job and an excellent customer service. They gave me a RECOVERY disc for G74Sx and re-hide my recovery partition so i can use the F9 option.
(They also offer a free pick-up and delivery for any ASUS product under warranty anywhere within U.A.E. by DHL)

BrodyBoy
12-10-2011, 05:42 AM
That's great to hear! So is it fixed now, or did you mean to say you're sending it in for service?

silversun
12-10-2011, 05:55 AM
I went there personally with my laptop. The service guy re-hide my recovery patition and burn 4 dvd's for me and gave me an extra set of recovery disc that was provided by ASUStek just an assurance if incase the data stored in my recovery partition failed. But i learn from there that they are offering a free pick-up and delivery service to any ASUS product under warranty period.

Again, thanks to you Brodyboy, to all the guys for your responses and may God bless you all.