PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard/Touchpad issues are Still Unresolved

TheBeast
10-26-2010, 02:46 PM
Hey guys, since there hasn't been an update from Gary on NBR in over a month in regards to the keyboard problems, can anyone at Asus here look into the status of finding a fix for the missing keystrokes, keyboard lag and touchpad freakout issues on the G73???

Last update from GAry said they had a machine that had issues consistently. So, anything figured out yet?

It seems like this issue has dropped to the back-burner as ther isn't even status updates on it anymore, which seems like it is a much bigger problem, ie motherboard, than something that can be fixed via BIOS updates or driver updates.

If this *IS* the case, then we need to be sure that it is a known issue and that if we RMA our laptops they won't just be run through some simple test and have the issue marked as an "unverifiable problem" and the laptop just shipped back to us.

For many, including myself, the keyboard/touchpad issues are not consistant, in that it can work fine for 3 or 4 hours, then it freaks out for 10-20 minutes, then returns to normal. Sometimes it freaks out within 30 minutes.

This issue is a MAJOR concern for those of us that do production work on our G73s (myself included) including not only document authoring, but also coding and client real-time communications (including remote control support). Imagine not being able to resolve someones issue because the touchpad decides to freakout. Or while authoring you find a ton of characters dropped which requires you to lose your train of thought to go back and fix.

On NBR there has been polls that show that a large number of users are affected by this issue. If it requires a new motherboard to fix, then do it. We all have paid a ton of cash for our G73s and to have issues like this, it is outrageous.

Most users, myself included, are unwilling to make the sacrifice of giving up our machines for weeks at a time with an RMA in the "hopes" that they will actually fix the problem.

We need to know what Asus is planning to do to resolve these issues and need a plan to decide a course of action to making these units fully functional on a consistant basis.

If it is drivers/BIOS, then say it. I am just concerned that it is a major issue and one that Asus is hoping the end-users will just ignore. To that I will say I can gladly take my business (which has been over $5k this year alone) to another vendor if this is not resolved. I cannot in good faith continue to support a company that would allow an issue like this to languish and be unresolved.

I really like the Asus brand (especially the ROG series), but being a faithful consumer is hard to do when the vendor does not support the product when issues are exposed. At the very least I expect a laptop to function for proper interfacing, including the keyboard and touchpad, both of which have shown to have issues on the G73.

I implore you, the Asus reps here, to look into this issue and give us reasonable and consistent status updates in regards to solving these issues. It is not too much to ask, we did our part and purchased the product. Please do yours and support it properly. This set of issues has been complained about for at least 4 months, and was recognized as a major issue by Gary at least 2-3 months ago.

Spunkgamer
10-28-2010, 08:46 PM
It would be nice to find out what the true problem is as on mine it is not from key roll or not depressing the keys as I hammer the keys when typing and each stroke is sounded off with a thud.

D.Burke
11-18-2010, 09:05 PM
Yikes.

I found my way to this site specifically to find out what I could regarding the keyboard issues that I have read about on several other sites. For best results you go to the source, right?

The lack of response to The Beast's reasonable request for the ASUS reps to address the keyboard issue is very disheartening. I just ordered the ASUS G73JW-A1 and it is due to arrive tomorrow. I'm already wondering if I should even open the box. A functional keyboard is very important to me as I do have a life beyond gaming.

I have heard (internet scuttlebutt) that ASUS is known for poor customer support. But, since I prefer to make my own judgements, and since the G73 sounded like the computer of my dreams, I took the risk and ordered the thing. This will be my first ASUS encounter and I'm already beginning to get that bad feeling that I might have made a big mistake.

What's the deal? You're going to blatantly ignore a customer bringing up a known issue and reasonably asking for information as to ASUS's intentions about dealing with it? Really? What results are you expecting to get from that tactic? If I close my eyes he can't see me?

I don't have time to wait for answers that don't appear to be forthcoming. My current laptop is circling the drain as I write this. I'm very serious when I say that I'm thinking of just sending back the box unopened and returning to my search for a laptop that can meet my needs and a company who backs up their products.

Some kind of response before the thing gets here would really be appreciated.

Thanks,

D.Burke

Gary Key
11-18-2010, 11:46 PM
We are still working with Microsoft, AMD and Synaptics on this problem. Several beta testers have sent us their key logs and we are utilizing that information to figure out the problem. I have yet to have it occur on dozens of systems so it is difficult to recreate. Even switching systems with a couple of users experiencing the problem resulted in the "bad" systems not exhibting the problem. That said we are still working with other users and I will have an update shortly from our R&D group.

D.Burke
11-19-2010, 02:19 AM
Gary,

Thank you for your prompt response. I will factor both the fact that I got one, and its content, into my decision making process. However, I remain concerned that a problem of what sounds to be of considerable magnitude, to an apparently significant number of consumers, is taking so long to be resolved.

Thank you,

D. Burke

Tom Cocagne
11-30-2010, 10:38 PM
Unfortunately, my machine appears to have similar problems. The touchpad is finicky to the point of being unusable. I don't really want to go through the hassle of RMA'ing the machine but the lack of a reliable touchpad is exceptionally irritating. From the discussions on this board, I understand that he problem is currently being looked into. To that end I do have an extra bit of information that I haven't seen mentioned yet. After installing Ubuntu Linux, I encountered the same problems under X windows. This would seem to suggest that the problem lies within the realm of the Hardware/BIOS rather than in the driver.

Any updates on when a fix will be available?

Thanks,

Tom Cocage

VirginiaGuy
12-07-2010, 05:49 AM
I am in the same boat as you guys. My touch-pad is very unstable, which is very annoying. I have adjust settings and updated drivers to no avail. I purchased my rig a couple months ago. At first there didn't appear to be any issues at all, until I started loading my software and migrating my files from my old laptop. Its like one day it decided it was time to act up. There are times I swear that if my hand is resting next to the touch pad a certain way it becomes unstable and freezes. Once I remove my hand or hands, depending on if I am typing, it goes a way. Pressure on the front end of the computer could be the issue. I have repeated this condition several times. I wonder if the lab environment at Asus takes this into consideration when trying to pinpoint the culprit to this serious issue. Considering my laptop is still under warranty I don't want to open up my case just to test my theory. If there is too much pressure on some hardware component somewhere in the case, we could be looking at a hardware or design issue.

I hope this can be resolved soon before my patience run out. My investigation continues on this end. Will let all know if I come up with any solutions.

I suppose my wireless mouse will be my friend for awhile.

V2-V3
12-07-2010, 07:13 AM
If you you can recreate this issue by applying pressure on the front end of the notebook can you up load a video of the re creation, this would be very helpful.

Try removing the Hard Drive from Bay 1 directly under the touch pad to Bay 2 away from the touch pad. The hard drives close proximity may be causing problems with the touch pad.

Temperature may also be causing the touch pad issue, try running the notebook in a cooler enviroment and again in a warmer enviroment to see if the issue is exacerbated by temperature.

I have heard from some useres that running Moodpad- in the background can resolve their issues *note this might not solve your problem
moodpad is available here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/a-mood-pad-heat-sensitive/id314162903?mt=8

Some useres have expressed that putting pressure on the touch pad when it is acting up can temporarily make it go away.

Adjusting the Touch Pad settings like disabling edgemotion, gestures, multifinger tapping, horizontal scrolling and zoom function may resolve some of your issues, open the Synaptics Pointing Device manager in the taskbar. open the Device Settings tab, highlight the Touchpad entry, then click on Edit.

Use the most up to date Touch Pad drivers currently at version 15.1.16.2

Update your video drivers to the latest version

Make Sure you have updated your Vbios to the latest version, there is a step by step guide available here: http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?519-G73Jh-GSOD-Vbios-Update

Also checkto see if your BIOS is up to date the current BIOS version is version 0211

If it is a hardware issue with the touch pad contact tech support, request an RMA and specifically make note that you wish to have the touch pad replaced due to the intermitant nature of the problem.

I have created a Sticky Thread for troubleshooting the touchpad issues available here: http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?883-Troubleshooting-ASUS-G73-Touchpad-Problems

CChambers
01-15-2011, 07:07 PM
This is happening constantly on my brand new G73. I thought I just wasn't used to the keyboard, but then I did a series of tests and now I'm SURE it just can't keep up with some of my common keystrokes...

The touchpad is also super sensitive up to about an inch to the left of it where my left hand normally rests, so I've had to adjust my typing style...

I really like the computer, but I hate that it made me think I was typing like a derp for the past few days... You want videos of it happening? The best way I've seen to recreate it is to just hit one letter as quickly as possible. It stutters and drops strokes. I can make as many videos as you want, just, PLEASE fix this. :)

Thanks.

Chastity@ASUS
01-15-2011, 07:24 PM
We are aware of the issue, and working on a fix. Unfortunately, the source of the problem is an elusive one. BTW, which G73 do you own?

CChambers
01-15-2011, 11:45 PM
We are aware of the issue, and working on a fix. Unfortunately, the source of the problem is an elusive one. BTW, which G73 do you own?
G73JH - I feel ya, I'm just glad I didn't turn into a horrible typist all of a sudden... :D Thanks for lookin out.

CChambers
01-19-2011, 05:44 PM
Just an update.. the keyboard definitely manifests itself most often when I hit my typing stride. I can easily correct the problem by slowing my typing speed... but that's kind of lame. Is there any way to speed up the keyboards response time? Besides being a notebook keyboard, what makes it different than all the other PC keyboards I have?

I'm asking questions to try and lead you towards a fix... it becomes more and more frustrating every day. I don't think it has anything to do with the touchpad problems... I'm not seeing any connection.

MarkS
01-19-2011, 07:27 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with the touchpad problems... I'm not seeing any connection.

Yeah, you wouldn't think there's a connection, but...

If your issue is dropped keystrokes, and you haven't tried this already, try disabling the touchpad in the BIOS setup (Fn-F9 not good enough!)...you shouldn't have any dropped keystrokes then.

Frank
02-01-2011, 01:09 AM
I have g73jw with missing keystrokes but functional trackpad. I have been following multiple threads about this issue and look for any signs of hope in a fix coming from Asus devs.

So far, the fn + f9 approach does mitigate the keystroke loss, but only slightly. The only way to fix this issue is to disable the trackpad completely in bios. I haven't missed a single keystroke since. I was a bit timid in making this change as I do like to use the trackpad. Now I just use my mouse, which is equally satisfying.

The fact that if my mouse dies down or if I'm in a meeting and don't wish to use a mouse, I'm stuck.

I'm desperately hoping for a fix. The occurrence level of the missing keystroke is 1 character per 10 on average. This is horrible in situations where I am collaborating with my team in googledocs :(

I understand Asus is working on it, but I've only seen work on the JH models and only a promise for the JW to be worked on at a later date.

simpleone71
02-05-2011, 03:12 AM
I could almost live with the keyboard issue, but the mouse issue drives me insane at times. I was just wondering since it is such a widespread problem for the JH and JW models, has anyone thought about getting a class-action lawsuit going against Asus for not fixing this?

Chastity@ASUS
02-05-2011, 06:29 AM
They did replace the Tech Marketing Manager with Gary. I suspect the lack of response on such matters was part of it. :) The new JH BIOS is out, so I am awaiting to gather feedback on it's success.

Frank
02-06-2011, 08:36 AM
Yeah, there seems to be a mixed success in results for 213 bios updaters. I'm wondering why there is a variance. It'd be nice on the other forum what their specs are and if they have clean drivers with the bios. As a JW user, I am uncertain to the JW's version of the fix coming soon. I hope they fix JH kb/tp issues and bring it forward for JW.

It'd be nice to have a working touchpad with a working keyboard :P In all honesty, I'm very happy with this machine. Of course I had to turn off the tp in bios, but otherwise everything else is flawless.

I kind of feel sorry for those that don't have or like external mouses so they too can just disable the tp until this storm passes.

TheOriginalTO
02-06-2011, 03:46 PM
Yeah it is odd that there is a mixed success rate, but apparently there is a mixed rate for the 11 series drivers as well. Maybe all G73JH's are different. lol I will admit though, the 213 fixed my issue no problem.

Frank
02-07-2011, 05:59 AM
Which problem would that be? Keyboard issue? Touchpad issue? or Both?

madnj
02-07-2011, 11:54 PM
Just posting here because I recently purchased one of these monsters and have run across similar issues with the trackpad seeming to get stuck and not respond smoothly or function properly, so I started messing with settings. I found that increasing the Palmcheck sensitivity to maximum (all the way to the right), and placing sensitivity around halfway has improved my touchpad performance greatly. I've also removed any of the touch scrolling functions and multi-finger gestures and most of the time the touchpad works/reacts exactly as I'd want/expect. There have still been some isolated cases where touching the far left side of the touchpad will "wake it up" and it'll start moving predictably.

I just figured I'd share my experiences as things have been mostly positive for me using this incredible machine. I've also not encountered any of the missed keystroke issues mentioned, and I'm a fairly quick/touch typist. I'd expect that if the keymisses were rampant, I would see those, but so far things have been very stable from a keyboard perspective. I highly recommend the touchpad sensitivity change though as before I made them I had my touchpad get "stuck" frequently where it wouldn't move at all when moving my finger around on it. This was usually remedied by right clicking or clicking somewhere, but these setting changes have remedied most of my issues.

dennisbrown
03-16-2011, 01:27 AM
i Share the same problem with G53JW and im afraid on having it too on G51JX.

So guys, can you give me a little help here?

brynn
09-04-2011, 06:21 PM
I recently (last week) received my new g74 and am having the same problems as all of you.

1. The sensor on the keypad wont turn off when typing and it "senses" even a CLOSE palm and jumps the cursor into a preceeding sentence.

2. When trying to click on specific items, the cursor will jump unexpectedly, hence being ported into the wrong area on games, not being able to click on links on ie etc...this happens even when i try to use the included mouse. I am not a mouse user, and at 2 grand, I should be able to use whatever I want.

3. On the flip side, the keyboard has exactly the opposite problem, not sensitive enough. MANY MANY MANY misclicks and typos. I type 75 wpm, accurately, and it takes me forever to type things due to non responsive keys AND the touchpad's sensitivity.

4. I realize this is not a sound issue thread, but I'm gonna throw it in. The speakers and mic seem to, randomly, not work independantly of each other. This is a terribad issue when trying to play mmorpg's and utilize vent or skype. Also when listening to youtube the mic will come on and send terrible feedback throughout the house. It will also pick up the TV and broadcast that all over the room.

5. Last night, it started randomly shutting down programs, one's I was using at the time, such as my games. I'd be changing my vid view and whammo, I was out and the game was close down instantly. It wont even close down that fast when I'm trying to close it. It has done that several times now since.

Okay, you need to switch the touchpad sensitivity to the keyboard please and fix all these other issues. Singly, they may not be a reason to return my laptop but collectively they are very bad issues for a 2 grand investment.

brynn

Chastity@ASUS
09-05-2011, 06:08 PM
1) You do know you can adjust the sensitivity of the touchpad, right?

2) Do the ATK 1.0.00010 + BIOS 202 update for keyboard issues.

Shiggity
09-20-2011, 09:22 PM
I also just bought a G74 and immediately noticed touchpad issues that make it seem inferior to pretty much every other touchpad I've ever used.

(1) The surface is too "friction-y" and my finger keeps jumping around on it.
(2) Some movements of my finger don't seem to be picked up at all; the sensor seems to be hit-and-miss.
(3) I've already confirmed the software is working, and disabled the scrolling and paging.

Please tell me there's a solution to this, and that it isn't to buy another laptop. I didn't spend over $1800 just to get stuck with an aborted piece of junk.

Shiggity
09-20-2011, 10:39 PM
I disabled the "disable touchpad while typing" and that helped. Maybe buying a touchpad cover would help the friction aspect.

bestko
10-10-2011, 01:36 PM
1) You do know you can adjust the sensitivity of the touchpad, right?

2) Do the ATK 1.0.00010 + BIOS 202 update for keyboard issues.

ATK 1.0.00010 + BIOS 202 + sentelic 9.0.2.2. (available on asus pages for g74) + KB filter
It solved my problem with touchpad. Now I can enjoy G74SX :rolleyes:

*if dont help sentelic 9.0.2.2. for touchpad issue, the version wich i uploaded help on 100%, its version about 8.5. ... im not sure, i am sorry :p
here is the link:
http://www.uloz.to/10573956/sentelic-g74sx-touchpad-solve-zip
-click on a "Stáhnout" and than type a code from the picture

One question... some people say that uninstall KB filter solve the keyboard issue... what is the truth? Is better to uninstall kb filter or not?

Thanks for answer.

midihooker
10-14-2011, 01:42 AM
got it back from service today and still the same problem..they updated the hardrive so now at least i can connect usb-drives to it.. touchpad is a bit better but still sudden freezes.. G73SW user

JRd1st
10-14-2011, 02:09 AM
got it back from service today and still the same problem..they updated the hardrive so now at least i can connect usb-drives to it.. touchpad is a bit better but still sudden freezes.. G73SW user

You might have the foil/glue problem, but you say you have freezing. Try this - download DPC Latency Checker from here http://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml and run it. Do you see red spikes? Red spikes indicate a driver problem (probably).

Does this freezing occur mostly when you're browsing or when your wifi is active? If so, does it go away if you disable wifi?

It's late where I live so if I don't get back to you tonight, don't bomb my house. j/k lol

midihooker
10-14-2011, 02:14 AM
You might have the foil/glue problem, but you say you have freezing. Try this - download DPC Latency Checker from here http://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml and run it. Do you see red spikes? Red spikes indicate a driver problem (probably).

Does this freezing occur mostly when you're browsing or when your wifi is active? If so, does it go away if you disable wifi?

It's late where I live so if I don't get back to you tonight, don't bomb my house. j/k lol

lol..no you are safe :) ye it´s late here to.. yes wifi is allways on here.. i will check this.. so wifi could be the things that warms up the gluestuff huh?? im downloading the latency check right now.. THANKS!!

midihooker
10-14-2011, 02:18 AM
they are all red.. goes up to allmost 4000us (whatever that means?).. once in a while a green spike comes..

JRd1st
10-14-2011, 02:18 AM
I thought the glue/foil thing made the pointer jump around. But you said you have freezes. That's why I thought about the wifi latency. It's just something to try.

JRd1st
10-14-2011, 02:19 AM
they are all red.. goes up to allmost 4000us (whatever that means?).. once in a while a green spike comes..

Do you have the Atheros wifi card? If you do, download and install this driver - ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/WLAN/WLAN_Atheros_Win7_64_Z921432.zip

midihooker
10-14-2011, 03:13 AM
Hey guys, since there hasn't been an update from Gary on NBR in over a month in regards to the keyboard problems, can anyone at Asus here look into the status of finding a fix for the missing keystrokes, keyboard lag and touchpad freakout issues on the G73???

Last update from GAry said they had a machine that had issues consistently. So, anything figured out yet?

It seems like this issue has dropped to the back-burner as ther isn't even status updates on it anymore, which seems like it is a much bigger problem, ie motherboard, than something that can be fixed via BIOS updates or driver updates.

If this *IS* the case, then we need to be sure that it is a known issue and that if we RMA our laptops they won't just be run through some simple test and have the issue marked as an "unverifiable problem" and the laptop just shipped back to us.

For many, including myself, the keyboard/touchpad issues are not consistant, in that it can work fine for 3 or 4 hours, then it freaks out for 10-20 minutes, then returns to normal. Sometimes it freaks out within 30 minutes.

This issue is a MAJOR concern for those of us that do production work on our G73s (myself included) including not only document authoring, but also coding and client real-time communications (including remote control support). Imagine not being able to resolve someones issue because the touchpad decides to freakout. Or while authoring you find a ton of characters dropped which requires you to lose your train of thought to go back and fix.

On NBR there has been polls that show that a large number of users are affected by this issue. If it requires a new motherboard to fix, then do it. We all have paid a ton of cash for our G73s and to have issues like this, it is outrageous.

Most users, myself included, are unwilling to make the sacrifice of giving up our machines for weeks at a time with an RMA in the "hopes" that they will actually fix the problem.

We need to know what Asus is planning to do to resolve these issues and need a plan to decide a course of action to making these units fully functional on a consistant basis.

If it is drivers/BIOS, then say it. I am just concerned that it is a major issue and one that Asus is hoping the end-users will just ignore. To that I will say I can gladly take my business (which has been over $5k this year alone) to another vendor if this is not resolved. I cannot in good faith continue to support a company that would allow an issue like this to languish and be unresolved.

I really like the Asus brand (especially the ROG series), but being a faithful consumer is hard to do when the vendor does not support the product when issues are exposed. At the very least I expect a laptop to function for proper interfacing, including the keyboard and touchpad, both of which have shown to have issues on the G73.

I implore you, the Asus reps here, to look into this issue and give us reasonable and consistent status updates in regards to solving these issues. It is not too much to ask, we did our part and purchased the product. Please do yours and support it properly. This set of issues has been complained about for at least 4 months, and was recognized as a major issue by Gary at least 2-3 months ago.

thats just how my touchpad behaves to.. and still do after i got it back from asus-service here in sweden..

midihooker
10-14-2011, 03:35 AM
I thought the glue/foil thing made the pointer jump around. But you said you have freezes. That's why I thought about the wifi latency. It's just something to try.

it jumps AND freezes.. just like the thread starter.. but is ok for long times..it was ok for 2days.. and then suddenly did a blue screen on me, then when i started it again the trackpad was fukked up again.. for 5 minutes or something.. yes i will check your links tommorow.. dont knoe what wificard i got.. got to check that to.. i will call asus service tommorow and see if i can get my monney back thoe.. im no good with all of this, im a music producer and good with that software.. not this. just wanted performance.

midihooker
10-14-2011, 07:05 AM
i tryid to shut off everything but stuff in the "system devices" folder. but i get no change..still 3-4000 u. cant this be something else then drivers??

midihooker
10-14-2011, 08:21 AM
hmmm.!!! but while the computer is performing a task..like loading a webpage..indexin, searching etc.. it goes down to green!! why is that??

midihooker
10-14-2011, 09:35 AM
Do you have the Atheros wifi card? If you do, download and install this driver - ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/WLAN/WLAN_Atheros_Win7_64_Z921432.zip

ok.. how do i check what wifi card i got??

grungeboy2
10-14-2011, 10:40 AM
check in device manager in the control panel. should say what card it is.

grungeboy2
10-14-2011, 10:43 AM
g51jx probably won't have the same problems. my g51vx has a excellent touchpad.

midihooker
10-14-2011, 11:03 AM
aha..Atheros AR9285 . thanks! still..strange..now i have tryid to shut off all of them exept them in system and computer/mouse. ive been on this all night..16hours,,need to sleep now..

midihooker
10-14-2011, 11:05 AM
g51jx probably won't have the same problems. my g51vx has a excellent touchpad.

my tocupad is exelent for hours.. then all of sudden.. it goes bananas..for a while then fine again. it makes me crazy.

JRd1st
10-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Almost all the problems in this forum are caused by old drivers. You should update all your drivers THEN you can determine if you have bad hardware.

If I had thought my laptop REALLY operated as crappy as it did out-of-the-box, I would have asked for a refund right away. But I reinstalled windows and installed NEW drivers NOT from the Asus site and fixed every problem and my laptop is pretty awesome now.

Sad to say, but Asus laptops are fixer-uppers when you buy them.

grungeboy2
10-14-2011, 01:30 PM
they didn't used to be. but then again, i don't think asus has been making laptops for a long time. they're still learnin'

that said, mine has had a vent mod (3-inch hole saw to the faux vent/subwoofer on the bottom), the keyboard has been modded (blue and white), i overclock the crap out of it, i use a chillmat to keep it cool, and i am probably going to buy a momentus drive and a apple cpu for it.

these things are alot like old motorcycles. you buy them for a starting point, then you build it how you want. same as with a alienware, but i save the cash and get the enjoyment of doing it myself.

man i can only imagine the conversation that might've happened with trying to get a computer manufacturer to take a 3-inch hole saw to the bottom panel.

"you want us to do what to it?!"

JRd1st
10-14-2011, 01:48 PM
You're right. GREAT hardware and , with a very few exceptions, AWFUL support starting with the drivers that come installed on the notebook.

You have no idea how bad the ATheros wifi driver that comes installed is. Yet Asus doesn't add the update that fixes the latency to the downloads for the laptops that need it. Its on their FTP but no one got the message that users NEED to install this. God forbid that AsusUpdate should actually have something worthwhile to do.

grungeboy2
10-14-2011, 01:54 PM
yeah, the first thing to do on buying any asus, is pretty much go hunt up the good, up-to-date drivers.

www.realtek.com
www.nvidia.com
www.whateveryou'rehavingproblemswith.com

BrodyBoy
10-16-2011, 08:22 AM
my tocupad is exelent for hours.. then all of sudden.. it goes bananas..for a while then fine again. it makes me crazy.
If this has been a persistent issue with your touchpad (i.e., you've tried various drivers, etc., and the erratic behavior always comes back), it's very likely due to materials and adhesives that are contacting the back of the touchpad. (See my post (http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?3076-G74SX-Keyboard-Issues-ATK-1.0.00010-BIOS-202-Available-%28SOLVED%29&p=35732&viewfull=1#post35732) on another thread.) This is a hardware issue, so the only real solution is to remove all that stuff.

midihooker
10-16-2011, 04:52 PM
If this has been a persistent issue with your touchpad (i.e., you've tried various drivers, etc., and the erratic behavior always comes back), it's very likely due to materials and adhesives that are contacting the back of the touchpad. (See my post (http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?3076-G74SX-Keyboard-Issues-ATK-1.0.00010-BIOS-202-Available-%28SOLVED%29&p=35732&viewfull=1#post35732) on another thread.) This is a hardware issue, so the only real solution is to remove all that stuff.

ye i have read all posts about this but im not a very technichal guy.. im afraid i will brake something.. i hoped the asus repair guys would do this when it was on repair..i wrote a letter to them with links to this thread.. but of course they only updated some drivers and off it went... i would gladly pay someone to do this for me.. i once opend a laptop (macbook..i just swifted to PC) and thoe i was reallly carefull i broke it..

BrodyBoy
10-16-2011, 08:38 PM
ye i have read all posts about this but im not a very technichal guy.. im afraid i will brake something.. i hoped the asus repair guys would do this when it was on repair..i wrote a letter to them with links to this thread.. but of course they only updated some drivers and off it went... i would gladly pay someone to do this for me.. i once opend a laptop (macbook..i just swifted to PC) and thoe i was reallly carefull i broke it..

I'm sorry I'm not close enough that I could do it for you. But it's really not that tough. If I were to write up some very detailed instructions for you (with pictures), would that help your confidence? Note that the disassembly instructions you've probably already seen for the G74 are more extensive than what you need to fix this....they include steps that assume you'll be removing the motherboard, etc. For this repair, you only need to get the top cover off. Honestly, with a small Phillips screwdriver, a flashlight, some patience, and a little alcohol or cleaning solvent, you can do this. :)

JRd1st
10-16-2011, 08:59 PM
Those "detailed instructions" would be a great thing to have around here. I've looked at the disassembly guide and I don't really see the touchpad or the offending, unexpectedly capacitive materials.

BrodyBoy
10-16-2011, 10:27 PM
I can certainly do that...for the G74. I just realized I may have misspoken to midihooker, as it appears I might have confused him with a G74 owner who also posted about this recently. (midihooker's signature says G73.) I've read enough about the G73, its disassembly, and the touchpad repair that I think I know it pretty well, but I haven't worked on one of those myself, so I can't post my own photos. You've probably seen the pictures already of the G73's Synaptics touchpad and the unnecessary pieces of tape stuck around the edges.

As for the G74, it has a bunch of junk "stuck" on it as well. Virtually everything you can see here on the back of the touchpad has an adhesive that directly contacts the Sentelic touchpad:

3304 (Click to enlarge)

Even the two ribbon cables have a sticky film that adheres to the TP, presumably to help ensure that they lay flat. So there's the self-adhesive foam cover, the black tape over the copper contact, the two ribbon cables, and that piece of yellow tape thrown in for good measure.

Here's my own little theory about how this might happen: Asus specs the hardware for their laptops and sends that to various factories that assemble them. Maybe there are factories that just routinely install touchpads the same way they always have, slapping tape and whatnot across the back. But the newer capacitive TPs can be sensitive to these substances and should not be installed that way. Note this photo of an unmodded N71 touchpad...there is no backing, tape, or cables adhered to it:

And though I don't have a photo of it handy, the touchpad on my N73 is also completely clean on the back. In nearly a year's use, I've never seen that weird, erratic behavior that popped up immediately on both G74s. Different factories, perhaps? Different installation techniques?

Again, that's just a theory I pulled outta my arse ;). And I don't understand why these materials on the back are disruptive in some cases and not in others. But it really doesn't matter. What's become clear, through a lot of G73 owners' frustration and trial & error, is that removing these offending materials solves the problem. This continues to be the case with the G74 as well.

BrodyBoy
10-16-2011, 10:37 PM
BTW, here's that same G74 touchpad, all cleaned up:

JRd1st
10-16-2011, 10:43 PM
Thanks BrodyBoy!

What I don't understand is why they won't STOP putting this crap over the tp's! It's been a known problem for a long time. I guess it takes more than a few million complaints to crack the Great Wall of Asus. Lol

I barely ever use the tp, so as long as the driver shuts it off when my mouse is plugged in, I'm happy.

BrodyBoy
10-16-2011, 10:47 PM
I know...isn't it weird that they didn't learn from all the G73 complaints???

midihooker
10-16-2011, 11:00 PM
BTW, here's that same G74 touchpad, all cleaned up:

so..is it ok now?? please tell us if it comes back..

BrodyBoy
10-16-2011, 11:07 PM
So far so good!

I'll certainly update that if anything changes. I have no vested interest in being "right" about this.....just in finding a real, lasting solution to this obnoxious problem. :)

For frame of reference, the touchpad would behave erratically several times a days before. Occasionally, it could go several hours, or even a whole day, without misbehaving, but not usually. And about once a day, it would be so severe as to just freeze up and become completely non-functional. It's been completely trouble-free since the "clean-up."

midihooker
10-17-2011, 01:40 AM
So far so good!

I'll certainly update that if anything changes. I have no vested interest in being "right" about this.....just in finding a real, lasting solution to this obnoxious problem. :)

For frame of reference, the touchpad would behave erratically several times a days before. Occasionally, it could go several hours, or even a whole day, without misbehaving, but not usually. And about once a day, it would be so severe as to just freeze up and become completely non-functional. It's been completely trouble-free since the "clean-up."

exactly how my behaves..

JRd1st
10-17-2011, 01:47 AM
exactly how my behaves..

But you had to disable your geforce drivers to make your touchpad work...

rswfire
11-19-2011, 08:19 PM

I have similar issues with the G74 series. I've done everything possible to resolve it from updating the BIOS and the drivers (the most current of which cannot even be found on the ASUS website.) It's only been through the support of users here that I've been able to do all of that. The largest problem with the G74 series is a constant keyboard issue whereby it does not register keystrokes (even when using the standard Microsoft keyboard driver). It doesn't matter if it's a letter or the space bar; they all suffer. Further, if you hold down a key (such as CTRL), it does not behave as expected. It often "forgets" that the key is pressed and you have to start all over again.

I quoted the original OP in this post because I couldn't agree more with everything stated. I've already had this unit replaced once -- both stock machines suffered from the same issue. As a programmer for more than half of my life, I expect the machine's most rudimentary aspects (input/output) to function correctly! This is the most absurd and asinine issue I've ever experienced with a computer. I've scheduled this machine to be returned to Amazon for a refund and I have since ordered an Alienware M18x. Yes, it costs more, but I guess you really do get what you pay for. ASUS, you have lost my business for good. (And I might add, I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes a class action lawsuit in the future. Acer is facing one right now over a truly absurd claim but they've already settled. You'll be next if you don't get your act together.)

DrunkenYoda
02-11-2014, 03:32 AM
im having problems with the g750 jx the touch pad starts o freak out for no reason can some 1 plz help with this this is very annoying. the mouse pad just starts flying all over the screen and starts to do random functions like clicking randomly and some other things not sure if the drivers fault or mouse pad is defective :(