PDA

View Full Version : Asus G751JT-T7012H ssd/hdd upgrade questions

Newblood401
06-21-2015, 12:25 PM
Hello to all of you.

Few days ago i ordered this notebook im loving it so far but sometimes when i do more tasks at ones and they are not even demandin it freezes for few secs and it says 99-100% of disk is being used so i have been thinking if i could upgrade the m2 ssd to some normal 2.5 ssd and the 5400 hdd to some 7200 hdd or something like that but then a question came to my mind. What about the windows and all the programs pre installed. Or if i only bought ssd could it be moved to ssd without damaging the data and stuff? And if i order ssd does it come with a mounting bracket? Or where could i get it?

Thank you all for your answers in advance

spegelius
08-23-2015, 10:13 AM
Well i have G751JT-T7012H and i bought Samsung SM951 M.2 drive. I made a bracket for the drive and it's properly installed, but the laptop wont boot with the drive; hard disk light just flashes quite fast and after ~30 seconds it just shuts down.

I asked Asus support about it and the response was: "We don't support device modifications". ****ers.

joshindaphils
08-23-2015, 11:42 AM
Well i have G751JT-T7012H and i bought Samsung SM951 M.2 drive. I made a bracket for the drive and it's properly installed, but the laptop wont boot with the drive; hard disk light just flashes quite fast and after ~30 seconds it just shuts down.

I asked Asus support about it and the response was: "We don't support device modifications". ****ers.

I believe the SM951 needs at least BIOS 206. Try updating your BIOS to the latest (208) and see if your situation improves.

spegelius
08-23-2015, 12:25 PM
I believe the SM951 needs at least BIOS 206. Try updating your BIOS to the latest (208) and see if your situation improves.

Already tried that, no help. Ordered PCIE 4x M.2 adapter so i'm tossing SM951 to my server for Android builds, if it works there. Not very happy with Asus if the problem turns out to be some kind of sub-product specific incompability (and deliberate one)...

spegelius
09-27-2015, 05:56 PM
Got the PCIE 4x M.2 adapter and SM951 is now happily running on my desktop. So it's the damn laptop that just doesn't work with M.2 drives... boo Asus

spegelius
09-27-2015, 06:14 PM
Got the PCIE 4x M.2 adapter and SM951 is now happily running on my desktop. So it's the damn laptop that just doesn't work with M.2 drives... boo Asus

Oh and i also bought a CD-ROM to SATA hdd caddy in hopes that i could get my second SATA3 SSD to work at full speed. But it seems there's really only one SATA3 port on the whole damn machine. So now i have 3 SATA3 SSDs installed, but only one runs at full speed. I wonder who got the bright idea to make this thing so crippled. I can't imagine there being massive cost savings with such thing... well i feel cheated. I guess next time i'm planning on buying laptop i'll really need to do some investigation, since it seems you really can't expect to have 2008 level features on a 2015 laptop these days.