PDA

View Full Version : Reformattng issues on the G74SX - Clean Install and ASUS Reformat

ZeroBlade
12-08-2011, 09:13 PM
When I reformatted my G74SX for a clean install with Windows 7 64 bit and installed all of the drivers I would get choppy video playback. Never got to the gaming under that specific reformat since I already knew it was messed up. I want to install the ASUS Splendid Video Enhancement Technology or Power4Gear to see if that would make a difference but it said it would only install on an ASUS computer. I am looking to get the G74SX Driver and Application Disc to see if I could test out those two drivers and see if one of them makes the video work again.

When reformatting under ASUS reformat there seems to be a problem while reformatting that either the nvidia drivers will be missing under 'Programs and Features', the realtek usb card reader installing randomly while using windows, and now it seems that the network driver is having issues so I have to reformat again.

The best and most stable way to get the G74SX running would be with a clean install of Windows 64, the only thing is the choppy video playback which I cannot fix at the moment.

dstrakele
12-08-2011, 09:25 PM
What application(s) are you using to play your videos?

Are you reporting choppy streaming video, choppy playing of local video files, or both?

What version video driver are you using?

What Antivirus, AntiMalware, and Firewall software are you installing to your system?

I seriously doubt that ASUS Splendid Video Enhancement Technnology or Power4Gear will do anything to resolve choppy video performance (in fact, I'd probably be more suspicious of them causing such an issue).

Have you tried using DPC Latency Checker to get DPC Latency as low as possible on your system?

ZeroBlade
12-08-2011, 09:37 PM
It's choppy playback of local video files.

I'm using the same exact application MPC. The same exact Nvidia video driver 290.36. I don't think that's the issue

I'm using no antivirus under both conditions.

I reformat with the ASUS reformat discs and the problem isn't there.

I haven't used DPC Latency Checker. The issue must be something else though.

Ok I think I figured out the issue maybe not installing the Wifi Driver causes the latency? I didn't install the Wifi driver since I don't use it.

BTW for the Realtek on the G74SX your using the stock driver correct? The stock SATA driver correct since there isn't any newer version available?

BrodyBoy
12-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Ok I think I figured out the issue maybe not installing the Wifi Driver causes the latency? I didn't install the Wifi driver since I don't use it.

BTW for the Realtek on the G74SX your using the stock driver correct? The stock SATA driver correct since there isn't any newer version available?
It sounds to me like the drivers in your clean install are incomplete. For example, it sounds like you bypassed the ATK package (that's why P4G wouldn't install.)

There are about 9-11 basic drivers that must be installed after the fresh Windows install.

There are newer versions of most basic drivers (newer than the ones on Asus' product page). You can find links in the Drivers thread.

PS: For troubleshooting purposes and getting a good Windows install with the best chance of clean playback and performance, don't install any of that Asus stuff you mentioned. Or any of the other Asus utilities. If you really want it, only add it later after you have a stable clean install up and running.

PPS: If you really don't use Wi-Fi at all, just disable that Device Manager, rather than add the driver and not use it. WLAN drivers are active and "doing stuff" whether you are actually connected or not.

ZeroBlade
12-08-2011, 10:12 PM
Well I was going to bypass the ATK package so there were less processes that I was using. I don't think that would have anything to do with choppy video playback though. I'm actually reformatting at the moment with a clean install.

BrodyBoy
12-08-2011, 10:17 PM
Well I was going to bypass the ATK package so there were less processes that I was using. I don't think that would have anything to do with choppy video playback though.
The ATK Package includes several important components, including the registry changes that identify your computer to other programs. It's not a lot of processes, and leaving it out is not worth the functionality you lose.

I think you'd be surprised at how many seemingly unrelated drivers can affect video and audio playback. FOr example, the ATK package has components that interface with your network controllers and your touchpad. If you are getting latencies in, say, a WLAN driver because it's bad or didn't install correctly, your touchpad can get glitchy, or video playback can be choppy. This is very common.

I understand wanting to cut back on unnecessary junk, but when you start cutting into the basic drivers/components, functionality and performance suffer. You have a very high-power 8-core porcessor, lots of RAM, etc....your computer can handle the processes. :)

ZeroBlade
12-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Actually didn't know about ATK interfacing with other products. Ok, so for the audio drivers for the G74SX, stock, or the realtek ones on their website?

Ok I guess I can use the updated Realtek drivers.

dstrakele
12-08-2011, 11:16 PM
The ATK Package includes several important components, including the registry changes that identify your computer to other programs. It's not a lot of processes, and leaving it out is not worth the functionality you lose.

I think you'd be surprised at how many seemingly unrelated drivers can affect video and audio playback. FOr example, the ATK package has components that interface with your network controllers and your touchpad. If you are getting latencies in, say, a WLAN driver because it's bad or didn't install correctly, your touchpad can get glitchy, or video playback can be choppy. This is very common.

I understand wanting to cut back on unnecessary junk, but when you start cutting into the basic drivers/components, functionality and performance suffer. You have a very high-power 8-core porcessor, lots of RAM, etc....your computer can handle the processes. :)

That's a very educational post, Brody! I'd give you a +1, but the forum software won't let me. I guess it's angry at you for grousing about the new layout. :>{)>

ZeroBlade
12-09-2011, 12:14 AM
ok after installing everything I still have the choppy video playback. So I'm going to try the Asus Spendid Video Enchancement Technology.

BrodyBoy
12-09-2011, 12:16 AM
Actually didn't know about ATK interfacing with other products. Ok, so for the audio drivers for the G74SX, stock, or the realtek ones on their website?

Ok I guess I can use the updated Realtek drivers.
I use the HD audio driver directly from Realtek. (Sorry, I can't seem to add a link.....must be a kink in the new forum design.)

BrodyBoy
12-09-2011, 12:17 AM
That's a very educational post, Brody! I'd give you a +1, but the forum software won't let me. I guess it's angry at you for grousing about the new layout. :>{)>
Ha! Big Brother is unhappy!

Thanks!

BrodyBoy
12-09-2011, 12:18 AM
ok after installing everything I still have the choppy video playback. So I'm going to try the Asus Spendid Video Enchancement Technology.
Before adding unnecessary add-ons, can you tell us what "everything" includes?

ZeroBlade
12-09-2011, 12:30 AM
Atk Package 1.00014, Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader, Inf Update Utility 9.2.0.1030, Intel RST 10.8.0.1003, USB Fresco 3.5.40, Stock Realtek ASUS LAN driver, Intel WIFI 14.2.0.10, Intel Wimax Connection Utlity 6.5, 2.66 audio drivers

I installed the ASUS Spendid Video Enhancement Technology and the Power4Gear and set to high performance and those two utilities weren't the problem.

BrodyBoy
12-09-2011, 12:39 AM
No touchpad or Nvidia driver? (BTW, I would try 285.62....I never have problems with that one in a clean install.) I wasn't suggesting those extra programs are the problem....I was just saying that, for troubleshooting purposes, more software adds more variables....especially additional video software when you're trying to diagnose video issues.

Just curious about a couple things.....which G74 model do you have? And do you actually use a WiMax connection?

ZeroBlade
12-09-2011, 12:49 AM
I did install the Nvidia Driver 290.36, didn't put that in my last post. I disable my touchpad. I'm using the G74SX-BBK8. I don't use Wimax but installed it anyways because of what I was reading at the DPS latency site.

Yeah reason why I added that additional software was because I was having the issue with everything already installed.

I notice on the ASUS reformat there is one quick choppy moment at boot, then it doesn't happen again. On the clean Windows 7 reformat I get choppy web browsing to and choppy maximizing and minimizing of windows......so somethings different but I don't know what.

JRd1st
12-09-2011, 12:55 AM
The choppiness is usually caused by other processes going on. Have you tried to disable your antivirus?

Do you like Splendid? I tried it for about a second before I did my clean install.

ZeroBlade
12-09-2011, 12:58 AM
Didn't have antivirus installed and I even tried using the BlackViper Windows 7 Service Configurations. So there is some setting or something installed that on the ASUS install that's not on the Windows 7 Clean Install.

Splendid didn't really do too much on the Windows 7 reformat. Could be making a difference somehow on the ASUS reformat.

BrodyBoy
12-09-2011, 01:01 AM
Maybe that Nvidia driver? Have you tried the latest WHQL "official" release? (http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-285.62-whql-driver.html) I've probably done about a dozen clean installs with that one without any problems. (I'm kind of wary about beta and hot-off-the-press video drivers....it's such a basic, low-level function that any little problem with a new driver can cause lots of headaches. I let others do the beta testing! ;))

ZeroBlade
12-09-2011, 01:06 AM
I used driver sweeper then installed the 290.36 driver on the ASUS reformat and encountered no such problems. So it couldn't be the beta Nvidia driver that is causing the issue.

BrodyBoy
12-09-2011, 01:38 AM
What do mean by Asus reformat?

(Sorry, I've gotten confused by what installation you're working with.....does that mean the clean install you just did?)

ZeroBlade
12-09-2011, 01:41 AM
Asus reformat is the 3 ASUS G74SX reformat discs, the Windows 7 clean install reformat is the Windows 7 iso.

dstrakele
12-09-2011, 01:48 AM
Is the choppiness related to playing videos in your Browser? If so, what Browser are you using? Can you give us detailed steps on how to reproduce this issue?

BrodyBoy
12-09-2011, 01:48 AM
Okay....that's a factory restore. (Not to be picky, but "format" in this context is kind of confusing.)

So you did that, installed a newer Nvidia driver, and all was fine. Then you did a clean Windows installation, installed that same Nvidia driver, and nothing but glitchy playback?

ZeroBlade
12-09-2011, 01:52 AM
Using Internet Explorer 9 64-bit. I'm not playing the videos in my browser although it would probably glitch. When I'm browsing a webpage a glitch will happen and the screen will cut at a random part of the screen, same as it does in a video. Yes the glitch happens under a clean Windows install.

dstrakele
12-09-2011, 03:42 AM
If you are getting these glitches with a clean Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit install and the NVIDIA 290.36 beta driver, I'd suspect a faulty GPU from your description. I recently did a clean Windows install on my G74SX-A1 with 290.36 and have encountered no issues browsing or streaming videos with IE 9.0 64-bit or playing local videos in Media Player. Still, I'd recommend loading up DPC Latency Checker on your system to confirm the hardware issue.

I'd also check the System and Application Event Logs for Errors and Warnings that might lead to further troubleshooting.

If you just recently purchased this laptop, I'd recommend contacting the retailer to see if they would exchange your system for a new unit. If that is not possible, I would RMA the system for warranty repair and provide steps to reproduce the issue(s) in excruciating detail.

ZeroBlade
12-10-2011, 06:13 AM
I changed the Windows Theme to Aero and the choppy playback went away. When the theme is on basic that's when the problem occurs.

I checked the System and Application Event Logs with no errors.

DPC Latency Checker showed that there was no issue.

BrodyBoy
12-10-2011, 06:17 AM
I changed the Windows Theme to Aero and the choppy playback went away. When the theme is on basic that's when the problem occurs.

I checked the System and Application Event Logs with no errors.

DPC Latency Checker showed that there was no issue.

Interesting. Had you intentionally disabled Aero? Whenever I do installs with Win 7, it's enabled by default and I never mess with it....it's never given me any trouble so I had no reason to.

dstrakele
12-10-2011, 06:19 AM

That's interesting information. The Aero themes require more resources. I'd of thought that would make the issue worse. I wonder if it's some sort of power configuration issue?

dstrakele
12-10-2011, 06:22 AM
Interesting. Had you intentionally disabled Aero? Whenever I do installs with Win 7, it's enabled by default and I never mess with it....it's never given me any trouble so I had no reason to.

I remember another thread where the user had a some sort of video issue and the system would get kicked out of Aero.

BrodyBoy
12-10-2011, 06:36 AM
I remember another thread where the user had a some sort of video issue and the system would get kicked out of Aero.
I remember one where just getting kicked ouf Aero was the problem, and that one turned out to be a power management thing,

ZeroBlade
12-10-2011, 06:44 AM
I've got it on High Performance. Power4Gear didn't help in a previous install. The only other connection to the surge protector is a cable modem. Maybe a problem inside the computer? Are you guys running AC only or with battery inside too?

BrodyBoy
12-10-2011, 06:50 AM
I've got it on High Performance. Power4Gear didn't help in a previous install. The only other connection to the surge protector is a cable modem. Maybe a problem inside the computer?
When I said power management, I meant within Windows. (Sorry I wasn't clear about that.) Controlling the power usage of all the various components has become incredibly complex and sophisticated. I guess it makes sense to try and make computers (laptops, especially) as efficient as possible, but it also means that power management issues can pop up in lots of areas that seem totally unrelated.

Yeah, I always leave the battery installed, and run on A/C about 95% of the time. I run on my own modified version of the High Performance profile.

Are you using P4G now?

ZeroBlade
12-10-2011, 06:53 AM
No I'm not using P4G now I didn't install it. It didn't make a difference when I had it installed. Ok I'm going to do a whole new reformat with battery in.

dstrakele
12-10-2011, 06:57 AM
Does changing the Power Profile from "High Performance" to "Entertainment", to "Quiet Office" have any effect on your issue?

Have you tried the NVIDA 285.62 driver? I'm running the 290.36 beta and it DOES have a webcam video corruption issue with Skype (see http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5517-Latest-NVIDIA-drivers-Official-Beta-and-Modded&p=48868&viewfull=1#post48868).

For the sake of troubleshooting, you should install a different video driver if you haven't already. In fact, if you didn't also try the stock 280 driver, you haven't made a serious attempt at troubleshooting your video issue.

BrodyBoy
12-10-2011, 06:57 AM
You're going to re-install again? I thought you just got it working it right! ;)

ZeroBlade
12-10-2011, 07:05 AM
Oh if it's not the battery then I'll try changing the power plan. I will also try using a different video driver too.

Dstrakele are you running battery and ac at the same time?

I'm used to reformatting. If AC only was causing issues then might as well reformat to eliminate any future ones. BTW I was only at the driver installation process after the reformat anyways. I'm going to save the video and audio driver install until after I install SP1 and Windows Updates.

dstrakele
12-10-2011, 07:13 AM
I am plugged in with the battery installed (I have never removed it after I first installed it) most of the time. Though I have run on battery only and not encountered any choppy video with the stock ASUS OS and NVIDEA 280 driver in High Performance and Entertainment modes.

I also have a clean Windows 7 install with the NVIDEA 290.36 driver that I run both plugged in and on battery using the default Windows "Balanced" Power Profile. I have not installed Power4Gear on this instance, only the ATK Package. While I do not have any choppy video issues either streaming or playing local files, the 290 beta does split the webcam screen in Skype and will occasionally drop the VGA connection to my external monitor.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials as my Antivirus software on both OS instances. I also use IE9 64-bit as the Browser on both and have configured it to "use software rendering instead of GPU rendering" in the "Advanced" tab of Internet Options.

BrodyBoy
12-10-2011, 07:14 AM
I'm used to reformatting. If AC only was causing issues then might as well reformat to eliminate any future ones. BTW I was only at the driver installation process after the reformat anyways. I'm going to save the video and audio driver install until after I install SP1 and Windows Updates.
The newer installers already have SP1 already integrated. That would save you some time when doing re-installs.

ZeroBlade
12-10-2011, 07:23 AM
dtrakele do you run on Windows 7 basic theme?

Some of the applications that I would use would crash with the integrated Windows 7 SP1. When I use the normal Windows 7 installation then install SP1 they don't crash.

dstrakele
12-10-2011, 07:40 AM
dtrakele do you run on Windows 7 basic theme?

Some of the applications that I would use would crash with the integrated Windows 7 SP1. When I use the normal Windows 7 installation then install SP1 they don't crash.

I use the default Aero theme on my clean Windows 7 integrated SP1 instance. On my stock ASUS OS instance, I also use an Aero theme, but Personalized it with a slide show of photos for the Desktop Background.

What applications crash when you run them on Windows 7 with integrated SP1? Are these applications also installed whenever you've experienced choppy video? Do they leave any errors in the Application or System Event Logs?

ZeroBlade
12-10-2011, 07:54 AM
You wouldn't mind trying out Windows 7 basic theme to replicate the issue would you to see if you get choppy video or get a cut in the picture on a website such as fileforum.betanews.com . Trying to remember what crashed maybe it was IE.

ZeroBlade
12-10-2011, 08:39 AM
Ok same thing happens even while on battery and AC only. Could be that Windows 7 basic performs weird on the G74SX? Or it could be a problem with just my machine. Wouldn't know unless anyone else tried it.

Cock Rouge
01-17-2012, 07:54 PM
Hello Folks

I am new to this. I am a former owner of a G74Sx. I am thinking of getting one again. I am going to use it for gaming and serious calculation. For calculation software to work I need it to be free from any hardware that need special code. Is the hardware standard PC plus standard drivers for the various hardware on board, NVIDIA GTX56m 3GB, network, etc. What drivers should be installed when getting rid of ASUS software through a clean windows install?

Cock Rouge

fuzon1337
01-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Hello Folks

I am new to this. I am a former owner of a G74Sx. I am thinking of getting one again. I am going to use it for gaming and serious calculation. For calculation software to work I need it to be free from any hardware that need special code. Is the hardware standard PC plus standard drivers for the various hardware on board, NVIDIA GTX56m 3GB, network, etc. What drivers should be installed when getting rid of ASUS software through a clean windows install?

Hi and welcome to the ROG community :)

Take a look at my thread New notebook, Look here! (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?9082-New-notebook-Look-here!).
Perhaps my thread will answear some of your questions :)

BrodyBoy
01-17-2012, 09:22 PM
What drivers should be installed when getting rid of ASUS software through a clean windows install?

Cock Rouge

This is the basic driver set:

Chipset driver
Intel RST
Intel MEI
Fresco USB 3.0
nVidia Graphics
Realtek LAN
Realtek cardreader
WLAN (Atheros or Intel, depending on your machine)
Asus ATK Package
Touchpoad (not absolutely essential, since the generic MS drivers is quite functional)
Bluetooth (if present and needed)
Realtek audio (not absolutely essential, depending on your usage)

AQUASTEVAE
01-17-2012, 09:24 PM
in reading this thread through, zeroblade, it seems like you would get sound advice from brody and a few others, and then you would do something different or more than what you were advised to do. when you do a clean install, you DO NOT USE ANYTHING FROM ASUS. once you have completed the clean install, then you want to add the chipset drivers first, then the video drivers THAT ARE NOT BETA, but the lastest drivers that have been used for a while without problems. i have been using 285.79 since i got my machine and did a clean install, with no problems at all. then you need to add the atk package, as it has many important functions in keeping the entire system stable. then add all the other i/o drivers. you don't load any of these drivers from the asus drivers disk, or the asus site, you get them from the drivers thread on this board, put together by jr. if you do all of these things, exactly as they have been described to you, and don't do anything else, or add anything else, you should have a steady running machine without any problems. then you should backup your system. once you have backed up your system, then start loading other programs that you think you might want, so if you run into problems, you can just restore your system back to it's good state, and try other setups until you achieve what you ultimately want.

BrodyBoy
01-17-2012, 09:31 PM
Just as an added suggestion, Stevae, I have found that the ATK drivers are more reliable when I install them after the other drivers. I think it's because the program interacts with several other drivers in the system (touchpad, WLAN, etc.), so the installer looks for those drivers during installation. It's better if they are already there.

Consequently, I now install it last in all my clean installs.

PS: What's with the colors? You gettin' flashy??? ;)

Cock Rouge
01-17-2012, 11:30 PM
Dear Sir's

fuzon1337 you pointed me to a chance to get information on how to turn Mr. Goats bull **** off and get down to the OS. I need help here.

chrsplmr Your suggestion gave me a hint at something I have wanted to do for a long time. How do I turn windows own bloater programs off? What programs are you referring to? I really want a raw OS.

AQUASTEVAE & BrodyBoy Am I correct in installing chipset then graphic drivers. After that I can do what ever order just as long as the ATK Packet comes last?

Any body know if the on board camera on the G74SX can be used without the little light goes on?

You guys are better than ASUS own! Their answers made me turn A G74SX in.

BrodyBoy
01-17-2012, 11:40 PM
How do I turn windows own bloater programs off? What programs are you referring to? I really want a raw OS.
Open Control Panel -> Uninstall a Program. Over on the left side of the window, you'll see an option "Turn Windows features on or off." Many people don't think to do this, but it's always one of the first things I do after a clean install. It's not that the Windows features are inherently bad.....I'm sure they work just fine....but if you don't use them, why have them running all the time? ;)

Here's a look at the features panel. I don't happen to use the MS Games, Internet Explorer, Media features, fax, the Tablet and XPS components, and a few others, so I've disabled them. But each owner can easily pick and choose what they want.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/prog_photos/MISC/WindowsFeatures.png

AQUASTEVAE & BrodyBoy Am I correct in installing chipset then graphic drivers. After that I can do what ever order just as long as the ATK Packet comes last?
I think the first few matter....
1. Chipset
2. RST
3. MEI
4. Graphics driver
5. All the ofther stuff, in no particular order
6. ATK Package

Any body know if the on board camera on the G74SX can be used without the little light goes on?
Hmm? Not sure what you mean.

Cock Rouge
01-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Guys I am just delighted.

BrodyBoy ConGratts on ROG recognizing you. ASUS should pay you and others like you for being just good. I agree with you Windows software can be doing just what you think they are but why all the time?

Hmm? Not sure what you mean.

Well my specialty used to be automated support systems for any PC. I therefore have an eye out for related things. I ran into an article about a court case on integrity. FBI apparently tried to use a persons PC cam and mic with remote activation though something like a backdoor. The person in question is a person like you and me, unpunished normal guy. FBI wanted to have a court ruling over the legality in their approach.
I do not know if the news about NSA having a backdoor into corporate computers here in Europe reached The U.S but it was a big scandal here. I do not know what the result of the court ruling was.
Microsoft was a collaborator in this. Maybe ASUS is too. It seams to me as a few of you have dismantled your laptops perhaps someone knows how the camera is wired? The mic? It goes without saying that it could be used by the OS in any number of ways. I am just curious thats all.

BrodyBoy
01-18-2012, 06:58 PM
Okay...interesting. I hadn't heard about any of that stuff with the webcams! Creepy.... I never use them, so I have mine disabled in Device Manager. (Actually, now that I think of it, I think I may have disconnected its cable to the M/B in the G74, so that WIndows wouldn't even find the device.) And my N73 has a little cover that slides over it....that's always closed.

AQUASTEVAE
01-19-2012, 02:11 AM
Just as an added suggestion, Stevae, I have found that the ATK drivers are more reliable when I install them after the other drivers. I think it's because the program interacts with several other drivers in the system (touchpad, WLAN, etc.), so the installer looks for those drivers during installation. It's better if they are already there.

Consequently, I now install it last in all my clean installs.

PS: What's with the colors? You gettin' flashy??? ;)

thanks for the information on the atk drivers. i'll keep it in mind from now on. yeah, i did get a little flashy there, but don't tell anyone...

Cock Rouge
01-27-2012, 06:31 PM
Hi Folks

I went out and bought a G74SX because of your forum, thanks. I really like the hardware but a clean, BrodyBoy style, install went not perfect but god enough. When I work I usually boot my favorite OS, linux. What I can see things does work there so in time ASUS will catch up. I wish ASUS would give me or better still the community data to make this laptop perfect for linux. Take usb3 combined with ext2 file system as an example, works like a charm when hobby coders from the linux community are in charge. When paid code workers from Microsoft are in charge, well we all know that story and file systems are clearly not their strong suit. But windows comes with tools for game programmers so for gaming we are still stuck with people that think making money on pretense and promises are fine. It will be an issue as long as the hobby coders are left out from the loop just because they are loving you the user and want to give you technology just because you are you. I challenge ASUS to be the one company that will let the linux community in. ASUS You will not regret it.
With this said I like to be helped with two obstacles. One is the question of usb3 under windows. Can you use a program that reads and writes ext2 over that port? I have my usb3 drive in ext2. It have been working once. Why not twice?
Second, I have a warning in device manager. It says some communication device is not installed. Why does device manager not tell me what chip is in question. How do I find out what chips are on board in windows?
Lastly what programs from ASUS is better than what windows provide?

BrodyBoy
01-27-2012, 06:38 PM
With this said I like to be helped with two obstacles. One is the question of usb3 under windows. Can you use a program that reads and writes ext2 over that port? I have my usb3 drive in ext2. It have been working once. Why not twice?
Second, I have a warning in device manager. It says some communication device is not installed. Why does device manager not tell me what chip is in question. How do I find out what chips are on board in windows?
Lastly what programs from ASUS is better than what windows provide?
I'm not sure what you mean about the ext2 thing.

You're seeing that device in Device Manager because the Intel MEI (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/MEI/IMEI_Intel_Compal_Win7_64_Z7041197.zip) isn't installed yet. You can install it directly by downloading it (from the link I just gave you), or if you go into Windows Update, where it's probably available under "Optional" updates.