PDA

View Full Version : G74SX Bootup Issue

Animoski12
12-09-2011, 01:07 AM
I've had two G74SX-KBB8's already from a BestBuy, the first one got exchanged within 2 days due to a broken pixel, and this one seems to be running perfect except for about 3 things -

1) I notice this PC beeps a lot more often then the other laptop (as well as every other PC i've had, it doesn't seem to be much of an issue)

2) On older games - such as Call of Duty 2 and C&C Renegade, the performance couldn't be better but there always seems to be a 50ms freeze / frame delay that occurs about once a minute... Considering they're probably single core apps, is that the case? Anything to fix it?

3) Just recently, (yesterday - had this laptop for a week now), when I reboot or resume Win7, for about a full second or so, there is a big green screen right before the whole "Resuming Windows" animation shows up... Haven't seen this on the other laptop either.. Is this a problem/issue I should try to get fixed?

I'm looking to reformat seeing it as ASUS has straight up bloated the laptop with bloatware and I could see how it might affect overall performance in old games..

Any suggestions? - Thanks

JRd1st
12-09-2011, 01:27 AM
The beep is an error sound? If so, you need to find out why.

Do you have an Atheros wifi card? See this - http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5126-Any-Kind-of-Lag-and-Atheros-WiFi-Card

I get a red screen, sometimes but I'm not worried about it. Lol

BrodyBoy
12-09-2011, 01:45 AM
The beep is an error sound? If so, you need to find out why.

Do you have an Atheros wifi card? See this - http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5126-Any-Kind-of-Lag-and-Atheros-WiFi-Card

I get a red screen, sometimes but I'm not worried about it. Lol
+1

The beeps could just be a lot of Windows sounds, if those are all turned on. But if they're errors, best to figure out why. I think those BB models often have Intel WLAN cards, so probably a good to check on the card and update whatever driver is needed.

I don't even look at the screen during boot, let alone care what's on it! lol :)

Animoski12
12-09-2011, 01:53 AM
I doubt the sounds occur due to errors.. It seems to occur everytime I'm downloading something or looking at the drives of the laptop, and i'm guessing the beep comes out of the DVD player when it "refreshes" or something.

I have a Intel WiFi card and it seems to be working fine, especially for gaming, no difference compared to ethernet.

How hard would it be to reformat completely and install only the necessary drivers? Such as nVidia drivers, etc? Is there a list somewhere for them?

BrodyBoy
12-09-2011, 01:59 AM
How hard would it be to reformat completely and install only the necessary drivers? Such as nVidia drivers, etc? Is there a list somewhere for them?
Not hard at all. :) Highly recommended way to get a clean, stable machine.

Doan
12-09-2011, 02:53 AM
2) On older games - such as Call of Duty 2 and C&C Renegade, the performance couldn't be better but there always seems to be a 50ms freeze / frame delay that occurs about once a minute... Considering they're probably single core apps, is that the case? Anything to fix it?I just finished CoD2, and had a similar issue. It wasn't every minute, but once or twice an hour I'd get a fraction-of-a-second pause. Recommended CPU is 2.8 GHz, so maybe it is a single-core issue?

Animoski12
12-09-2011, 03:19 AM
I just finished CoD2, and had a similar issue. It wasn't every minute, but once or twice an hour I'd get a fraction-of-a-second pause. Recommended CPU is 2.8 GHz, so maybe it is a single-core issue?

Don't know why I wrote once every minute, what I meant is once every 20-30 minutes or so. It's definetly more common then once an hour for sure.

I have the i7 2670QM which is rated at 2.2Ghz and I know it boosts up to 3.0Ghz as necessary.. I think that the single core that's running the game gets throttled back for no reason (BIOS issue?) Atleast I know it's not only me.. I think the CPU is definetly the culprit, considering the 560M is way more powerful then what CoD2 needs to run

Doan
12-09-2011, 06:09 AM
Ah, I have that other one, not the 2670QM. You could check the throttlestop post, and see if that fixes the issue. I'm not sure if that problem affects older games, though.

Animoski12
12-09-2011, 01:38 PM
You most likely have the 2630, which is the same CPU but downclocked.. smh
Already tried the throttlestop post =\