PDA

View Full Version : G74S - Squeaky space bar xD

Stringy31
12-09-2011, 05:13 AM
Every other day I seem to run into a new issue with this laptop, now its the spacebar that is loudly chirping away nearly everytime I use it... can't stand it. Along with the top row of keys being extremely touchy feely and the touchpad breaking once a day I don't know why Asus would make a laptop and force me to buy a keyboard and a mouse ... :(

dstrakele
12-09-2011, 05:18 AM
How long have you had your G74SX? If you just purchased it, I'd recommend contacting the retailer and seeing if they will exchange your laptop for a new unit.

BrodyBoy
12-09-2011, 07:52 AM
How long have you had your G74SX? If you just purchased it, I'd recommend contacting the retailer and seeing if they will exchange your laptop for a new unit.
+1 Good advice.

380mcn
12-09-2011, 11:52 PM
mine is the same!
3 days ago it started to squeak! looks like a mouse!

until the key is broken i'm not replacing. i need to work with this pc.. ..probably within 2 months i will RMA it.

Stringy31
12-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Retailer is not an option... is there a way to take off the keys with out breaking it?

JRd1st
12-10-2011, 10:22 AM
I haven't heard of anyone successfully doing that without damage. You should rma the notebook or buy another kb. They sell them in the asus estore, I think.

Stringy31
12-10-2011, 10:53 AM

Is it going to be a nightmare to RMA? I'm not sure how to exactly go about this, do I attempt to go through the retailer or contact asus... their site isn't very helpful.

BrodyBoy
12-10-2011, 11:20 AM

Is it going to be a nightmare to RMA? I'm not sure how to exactly go about this, do I attempt to go through the retailer or contact asus... their site isn't very helpful.
I think there's a service center in Indiana....that's pretty close, no? As for how to RMA....it's easy to find that info- it's the only sticky now! ;)

What exactly does the key do? I've disassembled the G74 quite a few times now, so I could quickly pull the keyboard and see if anything pops out at me (no pun intended). Maybe it'll be obvious what causes the problem and, better yet, a way to fix it. I can let you know if it seems like a DIY sort of thing.

JRd1st
12-10-2011, 11:57 AM
I think there's a service center in Indiana....that's pretty close, no? As for how to RMA....it's easy to find that info- it's the only sticky now! ;)

What exactly does the key do? I've disassembled the G74 quite a few times now, so I could quickly pull the keyboard and see if anything pops out at me (no pun intended). Maybe it'll be obvious what causes the problem and, better yet, a way to fix it. I can let you know if it seems like a DIY sort of thing.

My info is that the Indiana Service Center is below the pits. Do a forum search to verify this.

BrodyBoy
12-10-2011, 12:07 PM
My info is that the Indiana Service Center is below the pits. Do a forum search to verify this.
Oh really? Thanks for the heads up. When RMAing, do owners get to choose where it goes?

JRd1st
12-10-2011, 12:20 PM
I dunno. I also heard that the one in Milpitas CA was good. I suppose if you pay for the shipping it doesn't matter to Asus, but I'm not sure.