PDA

View Full Version : G74 bootup lag after POST

Rufus
12-09-2011, 09:50 AM
Heyall,

New G74 yada yada yada.

Pretty fast ONCE it has booted up.

After using the asus restore service, my shiny powerhouse waits about 1 to 2 minutes before initiating the "starting windows" splash. After the ASUS POST screen, I get a black-on-black-with-black-highlights screen with white flashing cursor in upper left corner for absolutely ages before the sullen cow begrudgingly starts windows.

I think the bios says boot priority is hdd partition 0, then dvd. What have I done to my machine ? [sobs]

I will check again but the option hdd partition 1 doesn't appear in the boot priority list, only in the bbs priority list....

If I'm making any sense it is a miracle, because personally I'm lost....

In the words of Leeloo [5th elmnt[, Help....Please.....(shameless 'beaten seal' pout)

cheers

BrodyBoy
12-09-2011, 09:58 AM
You did a factory restore (from the HDD hidden partition), and now it starts slowly like this?

JRd1st
12-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Make sure all of your windows updates are installed.

Slow startups happen after windows does updates, but just for a startup or 2.

Also, check that your pagefile is properly configured.

And check your system event logs and your device manager.

BrodyBoy
12-09-2011, 10:52 AM
He seems to have disappeared without response. Oh well......

@rufus: Some closing thought before I sign off.

When boot-up is r-e-a-l-l-y slow like that, it's often because there are one or more missing drivers that Windows is looking for. (They could also be corrupted and Windows spends some time trying to load them.)

How long did the factory restore process take? It normally takes about 45min to run to completion, and there should be NO user input at all once it starts. Many of the intermediate screens look like it's done (especially in the last 15min or so), but it's not...and I'm thinking that perhaps you interrupted it and the installation is incomplete. Hence missing drivers or components and those slow boot times.

I'd suggest doing another factory restore. This time, walk away after it starts and don't come back for about an hour! Seriously. :)

Rufus
12-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Hay all,

Thankyou for the reponses

@Brodyboy : yup - I have 'reset' from hidden partition a couple of times now.

@JRd1st : The 'lag' happened after installation of windows updates - the reason for the most recent 'reset'.

Erm - I guess I didn't explain it clearly - the 'dead time' is after the ASUS brand appears on the screen, immediately after pressing the power on button.

The ASUS white logo disappears and the I get a black screen with a large flashing white cursor in the top right corner of the screen.

After around a minute or more, I get the windows starting animation and windows loads quite quickly to give me the 'sign in' screen, password etc.

Windows loads as normal (that is to say fast !) but it is the 'dead time' before windows starts to load which makes me think that the Prob is with the BIOS setup - I must have asked the computer to look for the boot partition in the wrong place at first in the boot order configuration.

What is the factory boot priority ? and why can I not see the HDD partition 1 in the list of boot priorities ?

I'm no exert, but are you sure the black screen/cursor is windows looking for drivers ?

Thanks for the help guys - Maye one day I WILL get to give Skyr1m a go in full HD....

Rufus

ps - thanks to you JRd1st for the driver links - for once, updating my machine has been a soothing, fulfilling exerience !

Rufus
12-09-2011, 03:13 PM
@Brodyboy - The factory 'reset' happens, as you say, all by itself.......I don't think I will delete the partition - it's nice and easy.

I have 'reset' the bloody thing several times, updated this and that and everything worked pretty good (except the veeeery slow 'p')

Last thing I remember doing is changing the boot priority in the bios setup. I've tried alternating the boot priority between HDD partitions but this doesn't seem to shorten the 'dead time' before windows starts to load.

cheers for your help

dstrakele
12-09-2011, 03:25 PM
You could try enabling Windows 7 boot logging: http://windows7themes.net/enable-boot-logging-in-windows-7.html to troubleshoot this problem. There is also a link in this page on examining the Event Logs to troubleshoot slow boot issues.

BrodyBoy
12-09-2011, 07:32 PM
Last thing I remember doing is changing the boot priority in the bios setup. I've tried alternating the boot priority between HDD partitions but this doesn't seem to shorten the 'dead time' before windows starts to load.

cheers for your help
It's very unlikely that extra steps in the boot priority would cause such a delay. Your computer would never boot to Windows if your actual boot drive isn't in the list, and even if something (like another hard drive) has been placed before it, the computer goes quickly through the list until it finds a bootable option. (You can't select a boot partition in the BIOS....only a physical disk.)

To double-check though, here's what you do:

Open Disk Management (in Windows)
Locate your system partition (C), and note which physical disk it's located on (Disk 1 or DIsk 2)
Reboot, and hit F2 to enter BIOS setup
Navigate right to the Boot tab, and down to Hard Drive BBS Priorities, hit Enter
In the Boot Option submenu, select Boot Option #1 and hit Enter
In the pop-up dialogue, select P0 or P1, corresponding to the physical disk where you found your system partition in WIndows Disk Management, hit Enter
Hit Esc to go back to the main Boot page
Ensure that Boot Option #1, under the Boot Option Priorities section, is the the P-disc you just chose
Hit F9 to load optimized defaults, save, & exit.

What is the factory boot priority ? and why can I not see the HDD partition 1 in the list of boot priorities ?

I'm no exert, but are you sure the black screen/cursor is windows looking for drivers ?
You must look at your own setup to determine the correct boot priority, and not assume that what others see is a "factory boot priority." While it's usually P0, I know of at least one G74 where it was P1. This is why you should look into DIsk Management to confirm exactly how your hard drives are set up. (BTW, the BIOS boot priorities only list physical disks, not partitions.)

Am I sure Windows is looking for drivers? No, I can't be sure what's going on, but that's a very common reason for this problem. It is, most likely, part of the Windows boot, though...not BIOS activity. (The Windows logo you see during boot up is just a step in Windows' boot process, not the beginning of it. Windows has already been loading before you ever see that.)

Rufus
12-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Hey Brodyboy and dstrakele,

cheers for the comments and bios walkthrough. @Brodyboy, I take your point about windows starting before logos.

I'll take your collective advice and get back when I know more.....

Thanks again : ]

Rufus

JRd1st
12-10-2011, 01:41 PM
Also, be sure you don't leave any cd/dvd's in the drive. They cause slow boot sometimes.

Rufus
12-11-2011, 07:24 PM
Hiya.

Yet another 'reset' using the hidden partition. - I allowed all the windows updates (essential and recommended) and then started to uninstall the bloatware.

After uninstalling the Asus cloud back-up program, the asusvibe game thingy and all the oberon media (except oberon game park console - hadn't got to it yet) I got the same hang after the POST screen and windows logo.

Previously, I did not get the black screen / white cursor hang - I had allowed all the updates as suggested by JRd1st and Brodyboy (thanks dudes).

I also noted that when the either the cloud back-up service or asus vibe had been uninstalled, explorer crashed - no start button, no quicklaunch bar, no icons, no folders etc. just the desktop background. I had to hard shut down (hold down the power button for 5 secs)

Has anybody uninstalled Asus cloud back-up and Asus vibe ? did you get any strange problems ?

Thanks for the comments...

RUFUS

ps. some a#@ewipe is advertising canada clothing......

JRd1st
12-11-2011, 08:13 PM
Are you using a cleaner that clears your pagefile during boot?

BrodyBoy
12-11-2011, 09:10 PM
Has anybody uninstalled Asus cloud back-up and Asus vibe ? did you get any strange problems ?

Thanks for the comments...

RUFUS
Yeah, definitely. Did you also uninstall the Asus WebStorage thing? I believe it's associated with Asus Cloud, and they both integrate with Windows Explorer (and probably other things as well). One of the issues with all that crapware is that it's intertwined like that....you uninstall one and then another one looks for it.

If you don't want to do a clean install, I think the next best thing is to be brutal is eliminating bloatware. Asus starts with about 50 programs installed.....I'd get that down to less that 15:

dstrakele
12-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Here a good guide to the ASUS Bloatware to help you determine what to uninstall: http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/380681-asus-utility-bloatware-guide.html

However, the list in the image in Brody's previous post is probably even better. He has a stable system with that configuration. You ALWAYS have the option to re-install any Bloatware apps you end up missing...

BrodyBoy
12-11-2011, 09:23 PM
Here a good guide to the ASUS Bloatware to help you determine what to uninstall: http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/380681-asus-utility-bloatware-guide.html
I think that should be considered more of a guide to what the stuff is or does.

As for what to uninstall, there's a much shorter guide: ALL ASUS software, except the ATK Package, is optional.*

* Some folks don't even install that, but I think it can be considered essential in that you lose some keyboard functionality without it.

Rufus
12-12-2011, 09:45 AM
Hey-yuh...

Yes, lots of luverly bloat ware.....glad to see that others a p'd off too.....Why oh why would a gamer-oriented laptop go for the "never mind the quality, feel the width" mentality ? just odd.

@JRd1st - I might do.....I use CCleaner....I just looked at the things is cleans, I didn't see a specific reference to a pagefile.....but y'never know....could you tell me under which heading I might be innadvertantly purging my pagefile ? - Although, the hang time (black screen, flashing white cursor, no HDD light) also happened before I had installed CCleaner.....

What's this clean install thing ? I like the sound of that.....I shall trawl the forum.

Did anyone get this 'hang' after the post screen once they had uninstalled their web-cloudland 'drenn' ? (Farscape reference anyone ?)

I'm asking as I have this strange suspicion that when I flashed the BIOS, I had the option of playing with the timeout settings or something.....(which I can't find any more).....and this hang time could be entirely my fault......(or I might be dreaming...)

TY for the help.

Everyone has avatars of their hound dawgs.....dang I gotta get me one !

BrodyBoy
12-12-2011, 10:31 AM
What's this clean install thing ? I like the sound of that.....I shall trawl the forum.
The only way to fly, IMO. You essentially re-install Windows and the essential drivers your machine needs. You leave out all the crapware that does little but weigh down your OS and create conflicts that are near-impossible to diagnose.

I suppose there's still a chance that a hardware defect in your notebook is causing these issues, but I'd say there's about a 99.5% chance it's software.....I think clean install would resolve it. I really do.

Everyone has avatars of their hound dawgs.....dang I gotta get me one !

I know! My beagle is jealous!!

JRd1st
12-12-2011, 02:11 PM
The only way to fly, IMO. You essentially re-install Windows and the essential drivers your machine needs. You leave out all the crapware that does little but weigh down your OS and create conflicts that are near-impossible to diagnose.

I suppose there's still a chance that a hardware defect in your notebook is causing these issues, but I'd say there's about a 99.5% chance it's software.....I think clean install would resolve it. I really do.

I know! My beagle is jealous!!

A clean install is essential to someone that wants an almost troublefree OS on an Ay-soos pc.

@Brody, you have a beagle too...

BrodyBoy
12-12-2011, 08:44 PM
@Brody, you have a beagle too...
Yup! He's my buddy....goes everywhere with me! :)

fostert
12-13-2011, 03:55 AM
Agreed, a clean install is a necessity on this PC: as it came from the factory my Windows 7HP install was loaded with uselessware: after uninstalling much of it Windows actually broke itself after only a couple of weeks (it would boot and hang on the pretty skyblue startup screen, never starting explorer). The registry gets so polluted that a clean install is the best preventative maintenance step for this notebook that there is.

AQUASTEVAE
12-13-2011, 08:08 AM
yeah, while i had almost no problems from the factory, after doing a clean reinstall my system is even faster and with very few problems. everything does what it is supposed to do, and the system is very fast. the only thing i have had happen since, is when i set a couple of the mouse properties, they tend to go back to the previous settings. i don't know why they are doing that. but other than that, i have been trouble free.

BrodyBoy
12-13-2011, 08:13 AM
the only thing i have had happen since, is when i set a couple of the mouse properties, they tend to go back to the previous settings.
Which settings?

(Oh...and did you get the new Intel card yet?)

Rufus
12-13-2011, 12:03 PM
TY dstrakele,

I finally took your advice.....

Several drivers win7 tries to load several drivers......to no avail.

Isn't it odd that win7 loads \NDProxy.sys and then tries to load it again several times ?

It also can't load

\Drivers\vga.sys

and

\Drivers\srv.sys

I believe that \avgntflt.sys is something to do with avira antivirus.....but I'm no pro bro...

Could anyone shine a light on this ?

Cheers to all

Rufus

BrodyBoy
12-13-2011, 12:41 PM
@Rufus,

That system is a mess.....it looks like a lot of drivers are corrupted or missing, and the slow boots are Windows trying to find them and self-repair. Even if you get the boot time down to something reasonable, I wouldn't trust that everything is actually fixed and optimized. If you really want the Asus installation, I'd recommend a factory restore. If you're willing to add a little extra effort and give up on Asus junk, I'd recommend a clean install.

But at the very least....save your data and do a factory restore.

380mcn
12-13-2011, 01:21 PM
I also suggest CLEAN INSTALL!

dstrakele
12-13-2011, 05:28 PM
I found this page similar to your issue: http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/7824-delay-boot.html
It has some recommendations you can try before you attempt a new installation. However, when all is said and done, sometimes the clean installation is the best solution. As Brody has said, "You need to have a good foundation!"

I don't find it unusual that srv.sys fails to load if you have the Server Service disabled, common to secure personal laptops when you want to eliminate sharing resources over the network.

The multiple failed attempts to load NDProxy.sys seems more of a problem. Does it exist on your system in the path referenced? Do you have disabled devices in Device Manager that you want to use, but indicate they are disabled because a driver could not be loaded?

Rufus
12-13-2011, 06:38 PM
@Rufus,

That system is a mess.....it looks like a lot of drivers are corrupted or missing................If you're willing to add a little extra effort and give up on Asus junk, I'd recommend a clean install.

Hoooo man.....:(

@dstrakele yup - NDProxy.sys is where it says it is. Not suprising as it was loaded at the first attempt.

No devices appear to be 'down' in device manager. There are only two network adaters - wifi and realtek PCIe family controller.....

I googled NDroxy.sys and got several different answers too.....hard disks in series raid....network adapters......I tried updating the Atheros wifi adapter drivers to most recent, but all that happened was that the boot up became even slower and the 'function-F2' wifi hotkey stopped working.

I uninstalled, restarted and re-installed an older Atheros driver but the hot key still didn't work....so I uninstalled the ATK package, restarted and reinstalled the most recent ATK package. still nowt. I uninstalled it, restarted and reinstalled an older atk package. Still nada.......I'm not tech enough to find out what's going down in windows town......

After around 10 factory 'resets', lord knows how many driver uninstall\restart\install attempts, this is where I am :

f*@k this. Is this really what two months' wages gets me ? I will attempt the hallowed clean install

---:eek: distant sound of angels sighing:eek:---

I can't seem to find a whole load of "how to's" regarding this.....is it really as easy as burning the .iso (from BrodyBoy's driver's post --TY dude-- and installing the drivers from the asus cd ?

I ask 'cause I had an msi laptop which came with vista. installing XP was SUCH a hassle !

......sorry to bang on.....

thanks for the help guys.

-Rufus-

BrodyBoy
12-13-2011, 07:43 PM
I can't seem to find a whole load of "how to's" regarding this.....is it really as easy as burning the .iso (from BrodyBoy's driver's post --TY dude-- and installing the drivers from the asus cd ?

I ask 'cause I had an msi laptop which came with vista. installing XP was SUCH a hassle !

......sorry to bang on.....

thanks for the help guys.

-Rufus-
It's not quite that simple...I'll send you a PM.

Rufus
12-13-2011, 07:51 PM
you guys rock