PDA

View Full Version : Stick with g551jw or move on?

toxic_ca
06-22-2015, 07:14 PM
So I bought a asus rog g551jw-CA or whichever the number is from newegg.ca. It came defective. It turned on once and after it set up,
I was greeted with a black screen. I sat there for 20 minutes before I decided to turn it off via holding the power button. Once It turned
and I tried to turn it back on, it wouldn't. When I pushed the power button, the LED indicators would light up but nothing would happen
so I ended up returning it to newegg. At first I wanted a replacement, but Neweggs return policy is 2 weeks to process for laptops and I
don't want to take the chance of waiting 2 weeks to get my replacement only for it to be broken again and then I have to wait another 2 weeks
for another one.

Anyways, there is a computer store down the road with the same model that I'm looking for. When the refund comes in, should I look to
pick up another g551jw, or look for another brand. What are the chances of something breaking again? How many people have the
g551jw and have had any issues with it. Honestly, this is the first time an expensive electronic item has broken on me and now I'm kind
of nervous about buying another one :\. So any advice?

Sorry about the way the thread looks, the endless scrolling messed me up

joshindaphils
06-22-2015, 07:50 PM
I wouldn't worry about it at all. Defects happen, it is the luck of the draw.

In this day and age of Six Sigma everything is engineered to last for the warranty period and defects / replacements needed inside of the warranty period fall within a bathtub curb, think of a graph that looks like this \___/ basically if you experience a failure it is the most likely to occur at the very beginning of your warranty period or after the warranty expires.

You just had the bad luck of getting a unit that passed QA only to fail soon after purchase. You likely will not experience this again with this model. Count yourself lucky you haven't purchased bad hardware before, expect it to happen again at some point in your hopefully long life :)

Receiving a DOA unit or needing an early warranty replacement is not indicative of the quality of the make or model, it happens with every make and model.

toxic_ca
06-22-2015, 08:52 PM
Well thats re-issuring. Guess I'll try again tomorrow

Prostar Computer
06-22-2015, 11:03 PM
I wouldn't worry about it at all. Defects happen, it is the luck of the draw.
Very true. If the laptop suits what you want it for, I say give it another try. Going with another brand and/or model doesn't guarantee you won't have another issue. That's what return policies and warranties are for, after all.