PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a G74SX-XC1 and need help

M240b
12-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Just purchased it off the web (haven't taken delivery yet), and now having found this site, I'm crapping my pants that I'm going to have horrific issues with the touch pad, with latency issues, etc. etc.

Would you recommend I try to cancel my order or roll the dice that I get a relatively unaffected laptop?

I'm not computer savvy and I don't want to be having to try to figure out how to install and uninstall various drivers, how to mess with the bios or other stuff that is above my head. I just want a laptop that works right out of the box.

Advice please.

BrodyBoy
12-11-2011, 12:08 PM
This is tough, because I really do like this laptop when it's working smoothly. But in my honest opinion, it's not a plug'n'play kind of computer, and I personally would not recommend it to friends who are computer-challenged. I know a lot of people like this....I'm their "tech support," so I know where you're coming from. Not everybody wants to spend time "tuning" a computer, any more than I want to spend time "tuning" a car!

You probably wouldn't have actual hardware issues, but you could well run into the kinds of software problems you've read about here. There are resolvable, but it takes a little time and effort.

If your retailer has a good return policy, why not get it, try it out for a couple weeks or so, and see what you think? If it's sufficiently trouble-free, you might find all the worry's for naught and decide to keep it. :)

JRd1st
12-11-2011, 12:18 PM
Just purchased it off the web (haven't taken delivery yet), and now having found this site, I'm crapping my pants that I'm going to have horrific issues with the touch pad, with latency issues, etc. etc.

Would you recommend I try to cancel my order or roll the dice that I get a relatively unaffected laptop?

I'm not computer savvy and I don't want to be having to try to figure out how to install and uninstall various drivers, how to mess with the bios or other stuff that is above my head. I just want a laptop that works right out of the box.

Advice please.

If adequate support is part of your expectations, I'd lower those expectations and plan on learning to disassemble notebooks to fix small issues. You should also learn how to troubleshoot windows and driver problems.

M240b
12-11-2011, 12:24 PM
My retailer has a replacement only policy.

Like I said, I'm not computer savvy... I can install software and use windows software remover tool to remove it. That's about it.

I don't know how to hunt for drivers to remove them and update them, other than using the search function with the file name. I'd never find them other wise.

I very much do want something that is plug and play... and with a replacement only return policy, I thought it best to just cancel my order.

Thank you for the advice.

It sounded like a sweet laptop, but I'm not looking for anything that is going to cause me to be on the phone with tech support for hours on end and that is going to drive me up the wall.

Thanks again for your honest opinion.

M240b
12-11-2011, 12:26 PM
If adequate support is part of your expectations, I'd lower those expectations and plan on learning to disassemble notebooks to fix small issues. You should also learn how to troubleshoot windows and driver problems.

Never had to worry about any of that when I had a Macbook Pro. :(

Symb
12-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Never had to worry about any of that when I had a Macbook Pro. :(

I was just about to say that if you want plug and play, go mac... :D

ricksaint
12-11-2011, 03:19 PM

Advice please.

In a forum like this one, you're likely to read about problems more than anything else, although the problem units are probably a minority. The fact is that most people who buy our laptops lately have been quite pleased with them OOTB. Here is a sample from a search for " G74sx" from Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_3?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=g74sx&sprefix=g74.
As you can see, they get 4.5 to 5 stars for almost all models.
I, for one, am in love with mine.

380mcn
12-12-2011, 04:46 PM
if you are savy enough to (in an emergency) throw windows 7 dvd and install it AND install the drivers provided on jrd1st signature, than there's nothing to worry about.

i would recommend alienware but they in the past had sound problems (lag) that was only solved 9 months later..

there is no pc 100% error free and yes, the sentellic touchpad of the g74 is crappy..

eskion
12-12-2011, 09:09 PM
If you want something, I don't know, reliable, go sager or msi gaming laptops. If ASUS would buy back my G53JW I would pay to FedEx overnight that paperweight. The damn thing has more downtime than my Pentium D desktop. Now that's just embarrassing isn't it.

fostert
12-13-2011, 12:18 AM
My g74 is the most "quirky" laptop I've ever owned (formerly a Toshiba Satellite, and a Dell D610); by quirky I mean alot of minor strange behaviours which give me the impression that the thing is not the most stable or well thought out design (e.g. turning off touchpad in BIOS kills the keyboard, the numlock misbehaves, the insane amount of uselessware that demands new users to clean the system and start over with an install, etc). Not for the OOTB user; for sure there are better ones for lower maintenance. Gotta say my Dell D610 has never ever had any quirks, and is going strong after 6 solid years of use and travel.

AQUASTEVAE
12-13-2011, 09:07 AM
first take a breath and don't panic. i went through it just two weeks ago. i purchased my g74, wasn't going to receive it for two more weeks and then read all kinds of problems from other posters. but when i got mine, it ran like a top. i had almost no problems. nothing like so many others listed. only a few quirky things. but then i dropped in a new crucial ssd for my os, and did a clean install of win 7 ult. i've had no problems except a few little minor ones. but over all it has been faster, cooler and quieter than any laptop i have ever owned. most of the common people on these boards(other than the guys who try to help everyone) fall into one of two groups in my opinion. either they know absolutely nothing and screw up their machines without really knowing what they did wrong, or they are guys who are extremely picky and ***** about anything that doesn't work perfectly out of the box. so the truth is somewhere well in between. i have been playing with mine for two weeks now, and really putting it through its paces, and it hasn't let me down at all. i love this machine, and shake my head at some of the comments of others concerning this laptop. yeah, the company could do more from a customer service standpoint, but so could any manufacturer of any laptop. asus at least offers a two year GLOBAL warranty, and a full year of accidental warranty for free. that is better than almost anyone i researched. and when you get rid of all the bloatware, and load updated drivers for everything, it runs beautifully.
don't sweat learning about how to do things with it, as there is a lot of help on this board, and it is never a bad thing to know more about your machine. the more you learn the easier it will always be to setup and maintain any machine you will ever have. i hope this helps.

BrodyBoy
12-13-2011, 09:39 AM
The guy already cancelled his order. (post #4)

Keep in mind, there are plenty of computer users who don't want or expect to do clean installs or monkey around with drivers, etc. They don't even know what a driver is, and they don't want to know. And that's fine. There are better computers for that type of owner.