PDA

View Full Version : Notebook Shoppers Be Warned: Asus RMA : A Bad Experience

geek15
12-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Back in October of this year I began to notice that my N71-JQ would give me a green screen and then a blue screen of death when playing HD video. I purchased the unit just under a year ago. I looked into the System Event Log and determined the video driver was crashing. I have been able to confirm with someone owning the same model that they are running the same graphics driver version and do not experience the random shutdowns when playing HD video. I figured I would have to send it in for repair since the driver doesn't appear to be the issue and I already had re-installed my operating system (Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit). I called and was given an RMA # and instructions on where I needed to send the unit. After spending $30 my unit arrived in California. After a week or so I received an email indicating that my notebook had been shipped back to me. A few short days later I received the unit and found that the Mother Board had been replaced. I booted the unit up and shortly afterwards recreated my problem. I called and was given another RMA # and a Fedex RMA Code (to get a shipping label). The repair facility received my unit and would wait for parts for quite a while (at least a week) and finally around the 10th or 11th business day at the repair facility I received an email stating my unit was on the way back. Sure enough I get the unit back and found that the Mother Board was replaced again and my issue still existed. I then called and got a 3rd RMA # after speaking with a supervisor. Currently my unit remains at the repair facility as we approach the end of the 10-14 business day turn around time. Let me guess the Mother Board is going to be re-placed again and I will receive the unit back and still have the same problem. Now I have been without a computer for 3 months and yet Asus in unable to repair my unit. It appears that I have become part of the majority of people who seem to get their units back in the same or worst condition then when they sent it in. How long am I going to have to keep playing this game for another 3 months? If the Mother Board has been replaced twice already and I'm still having problems what are the chances that 3 Mother Boards are going to be defective? It appears that there are obvious improvements that Asus can make to better resolve issues with there customers. It would improve the confidence of potential buyers and customers alike. This would in-turn improve the future of the company as this is a very important part of how a company is looked at. Now that there are many companies making notebooks only the best will survive in both product and customer service. Perhaps testing the units before sending them back would be a good idea. I have been told a few times that my unit could be replaced if deemed unrepairable by the repair facility. Well at this point I think it might just be unrepairable. After all what more is there to replace? The Hard Drive, Memory, Processor, WLAN Card, Screen, Keyboard, Touch Pad, Case? If you are thinking about purchasing an Asus Notebook be sure to believe the feedback that other customers have given. If you are also experiencing a bad experience with Asus I encourage that you post about your experience.

geek15
12-12-2011, 09:20 PM
I just contacted support to check the status of my RMA. I was told that they are waiting for parts. This time they are waiting for a hard drive. What would the hard drive have to do with a video issue? Today's the 10th business day they have had my unit for my third RMA.

Update:
12/13: Apparently they are replacing both the Hard Drive and the Mother Board.
12/19: I have received my notebook back from the repair center. This time the Ethernet Adapter does not work and I'm in the process of testing the video.

Mason@ASUS
12-23-2011, 02:16 AM
Sorry to hear about this ordeal. Please update us on the outcome of the video testing. I can help you with an RMA on January 9th. If you don't have the issue with the video anymore then hopefully we can get the Ethernet replaced and you'll be good to go.

chrsplmr
12-23-2011, 04:33 PM
OP: Please stop back to give us the happy ending to this story. It is coming.

Kipper
12-23-2011, 04:45 PM
The OP just wanted to slam ASUS, most likely has this same post all prepared to copy and paste for every forum he finds.

Nothing more than another form of Spam.

He received a response from one ASUS employee who definitely could have help him if he truly did have a legit problem.

chrsplmr
12-24-2011, 01:34 AM
all I know is... it gets resolved.... everytime. Every time.

Grnfinger
12-26-2011, 04:12 PM
I had a similar issue with a Maximus X38 board.. Asus had it forever, sent me 2 faulty boards.
Finally Mason Winner ( yea for Mason) Upgraded me to a Maximus II Formula P45 board.
I honestly wanted my X38 SE board back but happy with the upgrade none the less. Even tho my X38 SE clocked better.

I hear people all over forums bash Asus for RMA, clearly they have never dealt with Gigabyte's RMA policy
I tried to buy a EVGA board, had it loaded in my cart ready to check out... when suddenly a wierd feeling came over me. I felt dirty in need of a shower, the filth was so bad. I quickly realized what I did and cleared my cart and bought a Maximus IV. I have never been more sastified.

chrsplmr
12-26-2011, 04:30 PM
wow...excellent story....except for the shower...ahhahahaaa

I have yet to see an issue once brought to light not be resolved as quickly as humanly possible.
and you said a mouthful when you called out Mason's name....indeed.
You have found what all find..if you simply state your issue..you will find they, he wants
it resolved the same as you....
as kipper points out... its a form of spam..from the comp...they cant beat it...so they lip it..hahahha
and leave their slobber all over the net...come here...find the TRUTH.

So glad you didnt settle for 2nd or 3rd best (what are they now)..no matter...we ROG.c.

Grnfinger
12-26-2011, 05:30 PM
been a loyal Asus customer for many many years. Could not let this thread go without posting.

Mason was fantastic, he spoke with me many times. He took the time to setup a test board and used all my settings to reproduce the issues.
Guys like Mason is what makes Asus support one of the best. They care and actually try to help.
I was offered a choice of 3 boards to upgrade to... who does that??? Usually your told how its going to be.

geek15
01-08-2012, 07:56 PM
Sorry for the late reply I thought I had setup email notifications so if a post was made I would be notified but I wasn't notified. Like I stated before back in December I received my unit back. I called support and was given yet another RMA # to send my unit back in. Prior to sending it back I did some more testing to see if there were any other issues that I was yet to discover. I discovered that the HDMI Audio Output was not working even after updating drivers, the ethernet port not working (no updated driver available), and of course issues with playing HD video. As of yet there is no good ending to this story. My unit is currently at the repair facility.

chrsplmr
01-08-2012, 08:59 PM
Did you PM Mason? and is he handling this issue?
we all know..like a poster above..if you get it into
Mason's hands....its over.
[shouldnt of said that..now he will get slammed]...
We are waiting for the happiness.......

I have always been puzzled why a company would not
test....ship a new unit....then repair..or wholesale RMA's
for refurb's...........i would think this would pay huge
for the company..in cust. word of mouth sales alone....[ask newegg]

no damage control marketing needed....
Yes it works...or you get one that does...

you get one that does this way...just..time..and frustration..and
angry typing...ect............best of luck...keep us..'posted'...no pun intended.c.

geek15
01-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Did you PM Mason? and is he handling this issue?
we all know..like a poster above..if you get it into
Mason's hands....its over.
[shouldnt of said that..now he will get slammed]...
We are waiting for the happiness.......

I have always been puzzled why a company would not
test....ship a new unit....then repair..or wholesale RMA's
for refurb's...........i would think this would pay huge
for the company..in cust. word of mouth sales alone....[ask newegg]

no damage control marketing needed....
Yes it works...or you get one that does...

you get one that does this way...just..time..and frustration..and
angry typing...ect............best of luck...keep us..'posted'...no pun intended.c.

I have PM'ed Mason he then replied to this post. I PM'ed him a little while ago (just after I updated this post) and provided him with my current RMA #. I'm just wondering how this is going to be resolved. It seems that instead of problem being solved more are being created. I sent the unit in the first, second, and third time because I would receive a blue screen of death with playing HD video. Since the issue has snowballed. I get it back the third time and I have problem with video still, the Ethernet adapter won't function at all, and audio out via HDMI is not working. Now it's of on it's fourth journey to California and I haven't had a laptop in 3 months and shortly it will become 4.

DaemonCantor
01-08-2012, 09:15 PM
Sorry to hear your story, I to had a problem with Support and I'm now on my third board but all in all it was Mason@Asus that got me fixed and now I couldn't be happier. I still have part of one issue but I'm not complaining about it because the hardware concerned is working properly I just can't get the Software update to work for it...but the older driver is working fine....as a matter of fact this board is working so much better than the last one that I'm even contemplating getting a second if I can find it to use as a Server setup...I know if you work with Mason@Asus he'll get you all fixed up and like me he'll probably oversee it himself and you will be able to rest knowing it's really going to be fixed. As to them replacing the Hard Drive, yes I can see that happening because if the HD has a bad spot and the driver in question is across that bad spot no matter how many times you reformat or what you do it will still mess up things, so yes I say replace the HD and the MoBo at the same time and fix what ever is causing the problem...E-net controllers, Video Cards, Processors are needed but the foundation is the MoBo and the Drives that hold the OS...Fix the Base and then go from there....

geek15
01-12-2012, 01:51 AM
Anyone have any idea how I can get in touch with Mason? I sent him a PM but he hasn't been online Since January 5th. My notebook is currently at the repair center waiting for a new mother board. I would like to hopefully resolve this before it comes back again. Thanks!

chrsplmr
01-12-2012, 04:19 PM
There has been and continues to be many ongoing changes and upgrading
across oceans with ROG. Not to mention the action in the ever evolving Asus..

Trust me when I tell you this..Mason will get back to you the very second he can.
He is slinging work in both directions and has his shoes off work'n the toes....
...talk about a MultiTask'n Pack of ROGs..... he always does...

But..that said..
If there is a specific issue..or the support contact.. did you handle this repair
with vip.asus.com? stick with that contact.
please post..so your progress can be followed and assured.

You can always PM the Admin or MarshallR and ask them to direct it accordingly.

Long ago..I PM'd Brian @Asus ... the next morning a PM from Mason appeared.
I have typed here every day since.c.

geek15
01-12-2012, 08:05 PM
I have been speaking with Judy Samuda via telephone in regards to this issue. I got in contact with her yesterday to check in on how things were going. She let me know that the repair facility is currently waiting for a replacement motherboard for my notebook. I pointed out to her yet again that the motherboard has already been replaced 3 times for the video issue. It makes sense to me to replace the motherboard to resolve the Ethernet problem. How ever the motherboard has already been replaced three times in hope of resolving the video issue (BSOD when playing HD Video). I don't understand what replacing the motherboard for a fourth time will do to resolve the video issue. Yes, I understand that the graphics card is on the motherboard but what are the chances your gonna get 4 defective motherboards in a row?

chrsplmr
01-13-2012, 02:11 AM
geek15--
In your thread: Notebook Shoppers Be Warned: Asus RMA : A Bad Experience (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?6867-Notebook-Shoppers-Be-Warned-Asus-RMA-A-Bad-Experience) Dec.11th
(I still take issue..and think it is mistitled--with all due respect--You are warning
ALL shoppers....when such a tiny percentage ever get close to RMA---in fairness..tiny...%
and this is from your first posts......Some suggested you were Asus Basher Spam...Now you are back...but...
Welcome...

That said... in your thread..Mason told you he would be BACK in action and in
touch with you after Jan.9th ((CES Begins--more duties?))..
Imagine...the inbox..
he will get to every one of them..
you are on his scope....its done...relax...

frustrating...agreed...
So out of curiosity..may I ask..Why did you come
in flaming?? Bees.Honey.Vinegar?yes?...ok...
It is so not useful. Glad you came back..
Is your contact--staying in touch..vip.asus.com?
I'd wait for Mason..myself..or a re-direct to
SomeOne like him..hahhaha yea right !!!!..
brother Mason--0000h2b-A-clone..meanwhile....

Back on Topic.................

Linux6Root
01-17-2012, 03:58 PM
geek15--
In your thread: Notebook Shoppers Be Warned: Asus RMA : A Bad Experience (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?6867-Notebook-Shoppers-Be-Warned-Asus-RMA-A-Bad-Experience) Dec.11th
(I still take issue..and think it is mistitled--with all due respect--You are warning
ALL shoppers....when such a tiny percentage ever get close to RMA---in fairness..tiny...%
and this is from your first posts......Some suggested you were Asus Basher Spam...Now you are back...but...

I purchased ASUS hardware due to the marketing of their warranty and their claim to be the #1 most reliable hardware in the world. A claim which is simply not true, given my machine failed in 2 weeks, 4 subsequent attempts and a second new laptop have failed to produce a usable piece of equipment.

Please refer to:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?9648-Why-I-will-never-buy-another-ASUS-product...

Also on a side note to this laptop issue. I've also had issues with my transformer tablet after the screw holding power port in place came lose and allowed the connector to be bent (weeks into owning it).

geek15
01-20-2012, 01:46 AM
As of 1/18/2012 my unit is still at the repair center and is awaiting a replacement motherboard. I tried calling into the call center earlier today and learned that apparently their computer system is down. Throughout this whole experience this is the fourth time I have heard this. Was asked to call back in 1 to 2 hours.

chrsplmr
01-20-2012, 05:49 PM
Sorry to hear this..and thank you for your patience here... geek...enough IS enough..hope
u get hooked up soon...

LinX......and what does ranting do? this is far from the rule...FAR. the title makes it sound
as the NORM...as do you...... the numbers prove you wrong...
now that said...
i advocate a -- it works -- no excuses policy.......until then... getting the equipment..once SURE
it is defective in front of someone that will take care of it--- make note of contacts and ticket numbers
in your post--------watch the feathers fly.c.

geek15
01-20-2012, 08:57 PM
As of 1/20/2012 my unit is still at the repair center awaiting a part. I was told on 1/18/2012 that the unit was currently being serviced. At this time there are no details available as to what part they are currently waiting for.

geek15
01-24-2012, 09:57 PM
As of 1/24/2012 my unit is still at the repair center awaiting a part. This is business day #11 and #12 if you don't count Martin Luther Jr. Day.

Mason@ASUS
01-25-2012, 02:18 AM
geek15, sent you a PM asking for more details so we can get this taken care of ASAP

geek15
01-26-2012, 12:04 AM
As of 1/25/2012 my notebook is still at the repair facility and is currently awaiting a replacement motherboard. This is business day #12. Mason is currently in the process of contacting the technicians to see what can be done.

geek15
01-28-2012, 03:56 AM
As of 1/27/2012 my notebook is still at the repair facility and is currently in the repair stage.

dstrakele
01-29-2012, 07:05 AM
I have yet to see an issue once brought to light not be resolved as quickly as humanly possible.

I see @geek15 is now in his 4th month on his 4th RMA for a 4th motherboard replacement to resolve his initial video issue.

I can't see how this is being resolved as quickly as humanly possible.

Look at the numbers - 3 faulty motherboards in a row? Where is the "rock solid" ASUS hardware?

@geek15 has a legitimate beef and his post "Notebook Shoppers Be Warned: Asus RMA: A Bad Experience" is not a flame, but a valid warning.

chrsplmr
01-29-2012, 03:10 PM
dstrakele...always a pleasure....

since this 'video' issue is so wide-spread and it is so
common for all laptops to need 4 motherboards for a video issue...
I can see how this would have been considered not a flame (originally geek-you have been
more than patient and respectful since--we still thank you--)

There is an issue..... i doubt very much that it is 4 in a row faulty motherboards...
do you?
There is a problem in the rma/repair departments...no question..what it is...is a mystery to me..as of yet.
So if it is not 'owner' error .... and it worked when it left the repair shop...( or did it?) q.c.? (quality control)

So yes..no disrespect meant to you dstrakele... i know you have great love for the G..and work as hard
as any to help anyone that asks..............lets look at the numbers.
how many sold ? over 1 million for sake of argument... 20Million motherboards last year.. havent seen a number on laptops.
how many defective?
how many rma?
how many are actually a 'bad RMA experience'?
how many were Never resolved?
how many..since you have been here...have rma'd....that were real rma's.
this is the stuff that starts a RMA stampede like the crossHair V .... mostly unwarranted.
You know the 'actual' issues as well as anybody... is it the motherboards? sony didnt think so.
is it the onboard gpu's....that everyone is having problems with?
keyboard, keypad, backlight, fn(to keyboard issue) and sound................ i have read them all. every one of them.all.
It didnt take that long, really. Now...that all said......

Asus....please.....throw his laptop on the pile..and send him a new one...or really fix this one....lets move on.
from what i understand....Mason is on this... this will not ship again until it clears his desk... those that have
been in a RMA with Mason know what I mean.... that step is done..then he takes 10 more to be sure.

With 10-16% unemployment in the U.S.... why are these people that are responsible not among them.
So... I guess I proved your point dstrakele... didnt mean to... but there it is..
We know the hardware IS 'rock solid'. (Multiple World Records)
We know that when they are returned from RMA many are the same (as above) or damaged..
some....actually are fixed.
Clean house Asus........we beg you. Employ only those that have the taste for ROG that we do.
Those paycheck collectors gotta go. Do your job or explain to your children why they are hungry.
Thanks d++ ................. and geek....sorry bro. MASON !!! Help! please.

The title, sadly for now, is accurate with the addition of 'can be' a bad experience as humbly stated
as humanly possible...hehe.c.

[[ How about a 'work bench' sheet included in the return listing work completed and signed ? ]]

Area 66
01-29-2012, 03:37 PM
The title of the tread is perfect. Let's face it Asus Notebook RMA is a nightmare. As much as I like ROG PC components, I will never purchase an Asus notebook ...... I use only Dxxx or Apple for my notebook, I recommend them to my customers ( they have purchase hundreds of them) we never experience such issue. I have one customer who don't listen to me and purchase an Asus last year, after 15 days the dam thing go RMA. Of course they are not gaming notebook , This tread confirm me what I tough since a long time. Purchase a simple notebook for general usage and build a Powerful PC for gaming and more demanding application.
My 17 years old NEC Laptop is still working flawless since day 1 ..

dstrakele
01-29-2012, 09:00 PM
I've thought some more about this issue. It could be possible that only the 3rd motherboard replacement is faulty. There isn't much to troubleshoot with a faulty LAN port. It could be a driver problem, but when you RMA, you immediately get the ASUS Factory Restore, complete with drivers for all hardware - so that 3rd motherboard was bad.

However, I don't get much confidence in the hardware from @Grnfinger, who is defending ASUS in this thread, yet posts- "I had a similar issue with a Maximus X38 board.. Asus had it forever, sent me 2 faulty boards." He is satisified because ASUS sent him an upgrade. That's fine and good if that is how ASUS wants to resolve problem issues, but I think @geek15 should then have an upgrade in his hands now, rather than still waiting in the 4th month for another repair.

The problem could be that the original issue (BSOD on playing HD video) is mis-diagnosed, that it is not a hardware problem related to the the display adapter, but perhaps a hardware problem related to some other component. It could possibly even be a software problem, where 2 conflicting drivers on the system are causing the BSOD.

Perhaps more troubleshooting needs to be done on @geek15's system. In fact, I recommend to @geek15 that he immediately test his system upon return WITHOUT INSTALLING ANY SOFTWARE. If the BSOD on playing HD video persists, open a thread in the G Series Notebook Forum and let's do some troubleshooting.

It is VERY possible for a bad HDD, with a corrupt file system, to cause a BSOD when you view HD videos. It can also result from bad RAM, or a bad power supply. The issue need not be confined to the display adapter.

BSOD's also often result from 2 conflicting drivers, particularly from applications that install kernel mode drivers, such as Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, and Remote Access softwware. That is why I recommend attempting to reproduce the issue without installing ANY new software.

I can imagine, that in order to cut costs, ASUS needs to get the RMA systems out as quickly as possible, probably with a minimal repair staff. I imagine the RMA techs don't have time to diagnose a problem, but also don't have time to test their repairs either.

I want to sing the praises of ASUS as much as anyone, but stories like this make that impossible.

geek15
01-31-2012, 08:41 PM
I've thought some more about this issue. It could be possible that only the 3rd motherboard replacement is faulty. There isn't much to troubleshoot with a faulty LAN port. It could be a driver problem, but when you RMA, you immediately get the ASUS Factory Restore, complete with drivers for all hardware - so that 3rd motherboard was bad.

However, I don't get much confidence in the hardware from @Grnfinger, who is defending ASUS in this thread, yet posts- "I had a similar issue with a Maximus X38 board.. Asus had it forever, sent me 2 faulty boards." He is satisified because ASUS sent him an upgrade. That's fine and good if that is how ASUS wants to resolve problem issues, but I think @geek15 should then have an upgrade in his hands now, rather than still waiting in the 4th month for another repair.

The problem could be that the original issue (BSOD on playing HD video) is mis-diagnosed, that it is not a hardware problem related to the the display adapter, but perhaps a hardware problem related to some other component. It could possibly even be a software problem, where 2 conflicting drivers on the system are causing the BSOD.

Perhaps more troubleshooting needs to be done on @geek15's system. In fact, I recommend to @geek15 that he immediately test his system upon return WITHOUT INSTALLING ANY SOFTWARE. If the BSOD on playing HD video persists, open a thread in the G Series Notebook Forum and let's do some troubleshooting.

It is VERY possible for a bad HDD, with a corrupt file system, to cause a BSOD when you view HD videos. It can also result from bad RAM, or a bad power supply. The issue need not be confined to the display adapter.

BSOD's also often result from 2 conflicting drivers, particularly from applications that install kernel mode drivers, such as Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, and Remote Access softwware. That is why I recommend attempting to reproduce the issue without installing ANY new software.

I can imagine, that in order to cut costs, ASUS needs to get the RMA systems out as quickly as possible, probably with a minimal repair staff. I imagine the RMA techs don't have time to diagnose a problem, but also don't have time to test their repairs either.

I want to sing the praises of ASUS as much as anyone, but stories like this make that impossible.

Testing I think I've already done more than my fair share. Even the drivers originally installed can produced this problem along with newer versions. I searched through my Event Logs and determined the error code that caused the BSOD which I've researched that seems to lead to a hardware based problem.

geek15
01-31-2012, 08:47 PM
As of 1/31/2012 this is business day 16 or 17 if you do not count the Martin Luther King Jr. day Holiday. I'm still being told the repair facility is still waiting for a replacement motherboard and that my case has been escalated in attempt to find out what is going on. How long can something like this drag on for? We have been in month 4 for just about 2 weeks and will be entering month 5 in a few short weeks.

chrsplmr
01-31-2012, 09:48 PM
Geek..its been a week, they are waiting for a MB..
No one can change the last 5 months.........

Mason is on this Now.... it will end well...let it.

Everything in between this is such a waste
on the OP's precious time AND brand equity.

Customer satisfaction, if not instant should still satisfy,
And is worth far more than any marketing dollar spent.

Satisfied customers are repeat customers and
the best sales reps...they are free and have passion for the product.

.. nothing good happened here except that Mason is on it.... for the OP. (patience++)
The rest is badROG... no joy....what a waste.

geek15
02-01-2012, 12:44 AM
Geek..its been a week, they are waiting for a MB..
No one can change the last 5 months.........

Mason is on this Now.... it will end well...let it.

Everything in between this is such a waste
on the OP's precious time AND brand equity.

Customer satisfaction, if not instant should still satisfy,
And is worth far more than any marketing dollar spent.

Satisfied customers are repeat customers and
the best sales reps...they are free and have passion for the product.

.. nothing good happened here except that Mason is on it.... for the OP. (patience++)
The rest is badROG... no joy....what a waste.
It's only been a week? I think not. Mason told me a week ago today that they were waiting for a MB. At that time he told me they had been waiting for a MB for over a week. If my math is correct that means that it has been over 2 weeks.

chrsplmr
02-01-2012, 01:33 AM
sorry.. i stand corrected.. but this helps how ?

At what point does this become pointless flapping ??
Mason is on it........relax. Lost time is.....lost.

geek15
02-05-2012, 02:10 PM
Update: On 2/1/2012 my notebook was shipped back to me after being a the repair facility for 17 business days. I received it back on 2/3/2012 and began my testing. After a little while I began to see this greenish tint to HD video that I was playing. Then it happened again I get a green screen and then a BSOD. This is on a clean fresh re-install of windows with recovery CD's that I created. I then checked AMD's website and learned that an update for the driver has been released. I download the new driver and proceed to install it. During the install my computer locks up and I get this weird constant beep kinda like noise over the speakers and shortly after a BSOD. Audio over HDMI is now working and the Ethernet port but the original issue has not been resolved.

dstrakele
02-11-2012, 05:30 AM
I'm sorry to hear your recent RMA failed to resolve your video issue. It makes me suspect the problem does not lie in the motherboard. If you are willing (and I can perfectly understand if you are not), I'd like to try and define the problem better by further diagnosing the BSOD and test other possible causes, perhaps by focusing more on what HASN'T been replaced on your laptop.

1) Did you test your laptop by playing HD video exactly as it came from the repair facility without installing any software?

2) What is the Bugcheck Code and 4 parameters from the BSOD's that occurred? These may be obtained from the details of the BugCheck event in the Windows System Event Log or by installing a utility called BlueScreenView from Nirsoft.

3) Were the recovery DVD's created by Ai Recovery? Are you running the ASUS Factory OS or a clean Windows 7 installation?

4) Take a look at this thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?10581-G73JH-A1-problem-UVD-causes-hardware-freezing!-catalyst-issue! is a similar case where playing a YouTube video on a G73JH causes a lockup. There does appear to be a downclock issue with AMD GPU's when playing videos.

5) What are the exact steps to reproduce your GSOD and BSOD issue?

6) It may be worth a shot to disable hardware acceleration in Flash. See http://backroom.bostonproductions.com/?p=262

geek15
02-15-2012, 09:37 PM
1) Yes and the same thing has happened.
2) I'm not sure right now my unit is at the repair facility.
3) Yes, ASUS Factory OS
4) I have been able to confirm what exactly the problem is. I have also determined that waking from sleep mode seem to be the only time when this issue seems to occur now.
5) Visit http://www.youtube.com Play a video and while it's playing it may be worth going into sleep mode. Then return and there you have it you will start to see a green tint to videos and eventually will get a green screen. Then driver crashes then BSOD.
6) I have tried disabling Hardware Acceleration with varying results.

I'm sorry to hear your recent RMA failed to resolve your video issue. It makes me suspect the problem does not lie in the motherboard. If you are willing (and I can perfectly understand if you are not), I'd like to try and define the problem better by further diagnosing the BSOD and test other possible causes, perhaps by focusing more on what HASN'T been replaced on your laptop.

1) Did you test your laptop by playing HD video exactly as it came from the repair facility without installing any software?

2) What is the Bugcheck Code and 4 parameters from the BSOD's that occurred? These may be obtained from the details of the BugCheck event in the Windows System Event Log or by installing a utility called BlueScreenView from Nirsoft.

3) Were the recovery DVD's created by Ai Recovery? Are you running the ASUS Factory OS or a clean Windows 7 installation?

4) Take a look at this thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?10581-G73JH-A1-problem-UVD-causes-hardware-freezing!-catalyst-issue! is a similar case where playing a YouTube video on a G73JH causes a lockup. There does appear to be a downclock issue with AMD GPU's when playing videos.

5) What are the exact steps to reproduce your GSOD and BSOD issue?

6) It may be worth a shot to disable hardware acceleration in Flash. See http://backroom.bostonproductions.com/?p=262

geek15
02-15-2012, 09:39 PM
Update 2/15/2012 My notebook is current at the repair facility for it's Fifth RMA. At this time I'm told it is in the wait stage. This is business day number 4 so things seem to be moving.

dstrakele
02-16-2012, 05:24 AM
4) I have been able to confirm what exactly the problem is. I have also determined that waking from sleep mode seem to be the only time when this issue seems to occur now.
5) Visit http://www.youtube.com Play a video and while it's playing it may be worth going into sleep mode. Then return and there you have it you will start to see a green tint to videos and eventually will get a green screen. Then driver crashes then BSOD.
6) I have tried disabling Hardware Acceleration with varying results.

I think your expectations of the sleep/hibernate process exceed the reality of the technology based on the reproduction scenario you provided. Not all applications play well with sleep/hibernate and Adobe Flash is not known to be the most robust software. I think it is unrealistic to expect a problem-free recovery from sleep or hibernate if the YouTube video is playing when this type of shutdown is initiated.

IMO, recovery from sleep/hibernate can be problematic even when the system is in a relatively quiescent state. I try to avoid using either unless it is absolutely necessary and make sure I save my work before I do use them.

IMO, this is not a hardware issue. The reproduction steps appear to be an effective way of corrupting video memory.

geek15
02-16-2012, 09:49 PM
Maybe I should have mentioned that it is easier to replicate after going
into sleep mode. How ever I can also replicate the issue without going into sleep mode. It appears to me that the issue is not hardware based but id base don the Driver's provided by AMD. However when I download the latest version of Catalyst Control Center and run an Express install when it attempts to update the driver for the graphics card I have also received a BSOD.

I think your expectations of the sleep/hibernate process exceed the reality of the technology based on the reproduction scenario you provided. Not all applications play well with sleep/hibernate and Adobe Flash is not known to be the most robust software. I think it is unrealistic to expect a problem-free recovery from sleep or hibernate if the YouTube video is playing when this type of shutdown is initiated.

IMO, recovery from sleep/hibernate can be problematic even when the system is in a relatively quiescent state. I try to avoid using either unless it is absolutely necessary and make sure I save my work before I do use them.

IMO, this is not a hardware issue. The reproduction steps appear to be an effective way of corrupting video memory.

dstrakele
02-17-2012, 02:32 AM
From what I've seen, video driver installation on Windows 7 systems can be problematic, particularly in the case of installing the most recent drivers. BSOD's, lockups, TDR errors, and video corruption issues are not uncommon with new video drivers.

It can be useful to visit the AMD Forums where such driver issues and their resoltutions are discussed. If problems arise with the latest version of a video driver, it is sometimes necessary to backrev to an earlier version to obtain stability.

Sometimes it involves a complete uninstall of the current driver as well as using utilities such as Driver Sweeper, ATI Crap Cleaner, and CCleaner to remove driver remnants that may cause problems with a new driver installation. I've also seen it helpful to install drivers after booting into Windows Safe Mode to disable other running drivers (particularly Antivirus) that may interfere with your video driver installation.

Here is an article from AMD discussing installation of the Catalyst Software Suite on Windows 7: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GraphicsDriverInstallationInstructionforMicrosoftW indows7.aspx

I think it would also be useful to further troubleshoot the BSOD you received.

geek15
03-01-2012, 02:02 AM
Interestingly the problem seems to occur regardless of the driver version you use. You can use the latest version from AMD or the version installed by the factory. Currently my unit is on it's 5th RMA and the technicians have decided to return it to me as they "Have not been able to duplicate the problem". I don't find it to be that difficult to replicate but for one reason or another I guess it is.

chrsplmr
03-07-2012, 12:51 AM
Let us know as soon as you get it and test it if you can replicate the issue..or if it has one,please.c.

dstrakele
03-08-2012, 06:57 AM
Interestingly the problem seems to occur regardless of the driver version you use. You can use the latest version from AMD or the version installed by the factory. Currently my unit is on it's 5th RMA and the technicians have decided to return it to me as they "Have not been able to duplicate the problem". I don't find it to be that difficult to replicate but for one reason or another I guess it is.

Sometimes there are external factors that affect laptop performance. These can prevent issues from being reproduced at another location.

In http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?10581-G73JH-A1-problem-UVD-causes-hardware-freezing!-catalyst-issue!, a user reported a system lockup issue. The cause was traced to a bad power supply where a space heater on the same circuit as the laptop created power surges in the line that ultimately led to the lockups on the laptop.

geek15
04-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Oddly I did consider things like that to be the problem. However I'm not sure if I mentioned this already or not a relative of mine purchased the unit and is having the same problem. I use my unit at a variety of different locations and this happens. Then if the power supply were to be the problem then I would think this wouldn't happen on battery power like it does. However it seems a couple of days ago AMD updated the driver (3/28/2012). Doubt this version will solve my problem but will try. I really wonder if I will ever find a resolution. I've opened a case with the Better Business Bureau and Asus it seems has chosen not to respond to it as today is the last day they have to respond. For a company that brags about there products they really should stand by their products.

chrsplmr
04-07-2012, 12:50 PM
5 rma's and are you saying -- it does the same thing ? You have had it back for over a month now ..
why is this the first we have re-heard this ??
I understand this unit was on 'the desk' and they tried everything to reproduce the issue ..
replaced ... well ... everything .... is this not correct ?

you have us scratching our heads geek ... you can clearly see that everyone, including Asus ..
wants Your laptop to bring you joy .... 5rma's .... we are truly sorry geek.
What do you see as a fair solution ?

In my humble opinion the BBB ... should be banned. If you were a business here and
heard the pitch ... or ever wandered in to represent them as a 'sales' rep you would
also think they are in the business of extortion ... and they are useless. Teeth of an Ameba.
Which has nothing to do with you or your issue ... BBB - I worked for them for 2 hours once.
Long enough to see the pitch. Told'm keep it my 2 hours .. it was worth the lesson.

QC operates above projections consistently. A few, as has been discussed to nausium,
slip through .... yours is an exceptional case.
Trust me .. we know your anquish ... just not to the tune of 5rma's, 4 calling birds, 3 no answers..
2 vid cards .... and anoth---therrrrr RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR MMMM Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.... which sucks.
So--- What ? Do you see as a fair solution ?

geek15
04-09-2012, 01:12 AM
I would be thrilled to see my unit replaced with a similar unit with a different graphics card. It appears that Asus replaces unit with units of other models when they have extenuating circumstances. As far as I'm concerned this is an extenuating circumstances.

geek15
04-20-2012, 12:25 AM
Today after contacting my local Call For Action group I was contacted by an Asus Customer Care Specialist. I was offered a replacement G74SX-XC1 Notebook for my N71JQ-XT1 Notebook. After evaluating the hardware in the G74SX-XCI with the hardware in my N71JQ-XT1 I decided to accept the offer. I was setup with an RMA and shipped my unit in today. Hopefully this will be the solution to my past 6 months of problems.

chrsplmr
04-20-2012, 01:18 AM
Fantastic. Please keep us 'Posted'.

geek15
04-27-2012, 12:38 AM
My replacement G74SX-XC1 shipped today and should get to me on Tuesday May 1st, 2012. I will update this post as soon as anything new happens.

chrsplmr
04-27-2012, 01:49 AM
From a N71-JQ ?......... wow. The time sucks .. but the result. OutStanding.
I hope all is perfect for you .. and the time is quickly meaningless.

Your continued demeanor and patient focus is commendable. thnx.c.

geek15
05-02-2012, 11:25 PM
Yesterday May 1st, 2012 I received my G74SX-XC1 as a replacement for my N71JQ-XT1. At this point I'm very happy with the unit. I have already installed a spare SSD that I had bought into the first drive bay and placed the HD in the second drive bay. I guess the second drive bay is recommend for storage? and the first for the boot device which is now my 60GB SSD. It seems to be working great. I guess I'm now a part of the ROG community now that I own a ROG model. The great thing is I was told by an Asus Rep. that installing a second hard drive doesn't void your warranty. Are there are other parts that you upgrade / change without voiding the warranty? Also is there anything I should be aware of with this unit?

chrsplmr
05-03-2012, 11:35 AM
chrsplmr doing backflips of gleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.... awesome geek .. you are a man of stone my friend.

There is Extensive information on this and all the ROG G's in the G Section.
There are many great threads there and I would pay particular attention
to threads where BrodyBoy, dstrakele and PILGRIM, to name a few, are
responding.
They play the G's like concert piano's and all as you know are always willing
to offer a little guiding light.

and Finally, without any further to do .. Welcome to ROG - Now that Ur ROG'n too.c.

PILGRIM
05-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Yesterday May 1st, 2012 I received my G74SX-XC1 as a replacement for my N71JQ-XT1. At this point I'm very happy with the unit. I have already installed a spare SSD that I had bought into the first drive bay and placed the HD in the second drive bay. I guess the second drive bay is recommend for storage? and the first for the boot device which is now my 60GB SSD. It seems to be working great. I guess I'm now a part of the ROG community now that I own a ROG model. The great thing is I was told by an Asus Rep. that installing a second hard drive doesn't void your warranty. Are there are other parts that you upgrade / change without voiding the warranty? Also is there anything I should be aware of with this unit?

Wow!!! Nothing's better than a happy ending!:D

This turn of events- favoring you in the end, is truly heartwarming..
Kudos to your patience and faith that somehow, something good will come out.
Cheers to chrsplmr and the gang who had accompanied you through it.
And to ASUS, ahh.. sweet redemption..

The non-warranty voiding upgrades are HDD/SSD, RAM, and WiFi Card.
Be expecting you on the G-series Forum, fellow ROG citizen. Holla!