PDA

View Full Version : Bought second hand laptop G73JH BST7 R - arrived blank

Nossatron
06-23-2015, 09:11 AM
Hi guys. Sorry if this has been asked before but i couldn't find much information on this unit in regards to drivers.

He said as a favor to me he would wipe the hdd before the unit arrived. Give me a clean slate and all. This is all fine and dandy but since the unit has arrived iv got various issues.

1 2x treble speakers not working
2 cd drive not working
3 wifi adapter not working
4 1152x 864 not 1080p like stated
5 track pad temperamental and sometimes tracks to the right and randomly left mouse clicks
6 No key backlights
7 Name/serial plate removed from underside of unit.

So basicly i want to know if there is a driver disc that i can download from somewhere? A bit like the one i had for my Rampage black edition IV mobo for my desktop. (before i start throwing my toys out of the cot at this guy for landing me in this mess)

Many thanks
Nossatron

Nossatron
06-23-2015, 09:40 AM
Hi guys

I have located the issue with fault #1

The treble speakers do work and so does the sub. The issue is the pc thinks theyre completly different outputs. Ie in sound options iv got to select either sub or treble. Not both.

Clintlgm
06-24-2015, 02:27 AM
Well you bought a used notebooks. All your drivers can be found at Asus Support Downloads (http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1)Sounds to me like you should get your money back if possible.

xeromist
06-24-2015, 06:30 AM
Removal of the serial number is indication of a stolen machine. I seriously doubt he can even get a hold of the thief anymore, let alone get a refund.

But yeah, the drivers are on the website. Note that the backlight is controlled by the ATK package so make sure to install that.

Nossatron
06-25-2015, 08:46 AM
Ok so don't laugh too much guys... spent the time downloading all applicable drivers... thought first, let's update the bios. That sounds smart. 1x Fat32 USB stick + 1x latest bios update = dead laptop. Well... I ain't going down with out a fight. Eeprom as of 5 minutes ago I knew nothing about. Now I have my soldering iron 1x #1 Philips and a pair of tweaser at the ready. Asus not to happy about it guys. Even old drivers should have an ugly big warning on em.

Nossatron
06-25-2015, 08:47 AM
Oh and on that note, anyone know where to get the eeprom factory flashed? LOL

Nossatron
06-25-2015, 09:06 AM
Diary update #2 we may try a back door Bootable bios from USB stick....

C4RN1
06-25-2015, 04:46 PM
I did the same thing when I upgraded from a G71g to a G53sx, first thing I did was update the bios. After I bricked the laptop I had a terrible RMA experience.

Anyway you can read around but the best help you'll find is over here

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/g74sx-in-circuit-reprogram-of-bios-spi.656498/#post-8436132

Keep in mind this is only for machines that are totally bricked. Partially bricked machines are easier to recover.

Does your laptop turn on or is it dead to the world? It sounds like you updated the bios the correct way, you shouldn't have a total brick.

Worst case scenario you can just replace the bios chip.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIOS-CHIP-for-ASUS-G74SX-G73JW-K52JU-K53SD-K72JR-K73SD-G55VW-G60JX-No-Password-/131186058961?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e8b4c66d1

Good luck with everything, let us know how it goes.

xeromist
06-25-2015, 05:10 PM
FWIW, people have had BIOS bricking when using a flash drive other than FAT32. So make sure to do a fresh format with FAT32 from here on out.

As to where to get it reprogrammed, no clue. Especially in NZ, unless you live near Auckland there probably aren't many techies with eprom programmers. The harder part might be getting a good source to use with the programmer though.

Nossatron
06-25-2015, 09:49 PM
"She dead Jim" not even a wee charging light for the battery. No fans nada. Setting up a work bench tonight, chip has been ordered. What a learning curve haha

Nossatron
06-25-2015, 09:50 PM
FWIW, people have had BIOS bricking when using a flash drive other than FAT32. So make sure to do a fresh format with FAT32 from here on out.

As to where to get it reprogrammed, no clue. Especially in NZ, unless you live near Auckland there probably aren't many techies with eprom programmers. The harder part might be getting a good source to use with the programmer though.

A company in Auckland can for $150. But I might try my chip attack first then I guess salvage for parts and try recoup my costs... maybe I could just ask for a refund??? Haha

C4RN1
06-25-2015, 10:51 PM
Replacing the chip is the easiest solution here. If that fails just buy another motherboard, they aren't that expensive.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xasus+g73j h+motherboar.TRS0.G%7C1%7C0&_nkw=asus+g73jh+motherboard&_sacat=0