PDA

View Full Version : G73JH - stability problems - help greatly appreciated

quokka
12-11-2011, 07:28 PM
I have a G73JH, which is approx 1.5 years old.
BIOS fully up to date. About 6 months ago I did the vBIOS update to enable installation of ATI generic mobility GPU drivers. (currently running ATI 11.11)
Win7 is fully up to date with critical security patches.
Everything was running well until approx 3 weeks ago, when I started to get the following issues (both from the desktop and when running games):

Error 1: BSOD "Windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer". Upon restart I get the "Windows failed to shut down properly error", but I can boot back in normally like nothing happened.

Error 2: Laptop immediately cuts to a black screen, forcing a hard reboot. No errors reported on bootup. (I suspect this one might have been BF3 related, as I've not seen it happen recently since BF3 was patched).

Error 3: Laptop suddenly shuts down. (immediate, no logoff or proper shutdown procedure). Pressing the power button causes the button to briefly flash, but no boot. Must pull AC lead, remove and then replace battery, in order to get the laptop to power back up.

Error 4: Laptop suddenly reboots, without folllowing normal shutdown procedure. Upon restart I get the "Windows failed to shut down properly error", but I can boot back in normally like nothing happened.

These errors happen seemingly at random, both from the desktop and from within games. Sometimes after 20mins, sometimes after 2hrs.
I've just installed and run HWINFO (after idling at the windows desktop for about 30mins) - and I'm seeing a GPU temp of 78c, which is high. Then again - this temp should not be causing the errors from the desktop. After 20mins playing Skyrim I get a max GPU temp of 109. I guess I'm due a repaste then - but again - this does not explain the errors happening from the desktop (or indeed any error other than a possible thermal shutdown - which I guess could be Error 3 above).

I've run a full cycle of memtest86+ with no errors reported. Also run a long scan using SeaTools HDD diagnostic on both installed HDDs. Again, no errors reported.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm struggling to figure out exactly what the problem is here? :(

EDIT: Event viewer shows a ton of "Kernel-Power" errors, stating the system did not shut down cleanly.

quokka
12-12-2011, 08:31 AM
I may also have found part of the problem. According to HWinfo, my GPU fan speed is not budging from 30%. I've been sitting in windows for 1hr now surfing the web - the GPU temp is curently 81c, and the fan speed has not moved from 30% the entire time. Although there is another sensor in HWinfo called "ASUS G73 EC GPU", which gives an RPM speed, and that one is changing, between 2500 and 5000 rpm.