PDA

View Full Version : Question about the G74's incredibly poor Sentelic touchpad

Carlos_F
12-11-2011, 07:57 PM
Since I got my G74 I've had few issues that weren't fixed by googling, but I couldn't find anything solid on the following: the touchpad (sentelic model) is really crappy. After some time of use, it bugs out and whenever I move my fingers on the pad it sends the cursor flying across the screen, or misinterprets the movements as gestures.

I updated all the drivers for the touchpad to those specified by Asus. It hasn't helped the problem.

I'm really surprised that Asus can ship a computer with an incredibly incompetent piece of hardware like this - I really hope it's just a software issue. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

dstrakele
12-11-2011, 08:37 PM
Unfortunately, erratic cursor movement when using the touchpad normally is a hardware issue (cursor movement DURING TYPING can be fixed by touchpad configuration).

The erratic cursor movement during normal touchpad use is due from poor grounding from faulty manufacturing techniques in touchpad installation. If your retailer will exchange your system for a new unit, take advantage of it. If this is not possible, you can RMA the laptop to have a new touchpad installed properly, or you can attempt to remove the tape and adhesive from the back of the touchpad yourself. Be aware that the last option is not successful in all cases.

See the last half of this thread (particularly the posts by BrodyBoy) for more information: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?883-Troubleshooting-ASUS-G73-Touchpad-Problems&p=36925&viewfull=1#post36925

Carlos_F
12-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the help! Unfortunately, I bought the laptop very slightly used, so exchanging with my retailer is not an option. Do you, or does anyone else, know if there is a set warranty on the G74 that I could use to get this problem fixed? Alternatively, could someone give me an estimate on how much a repair like this would cost if I sent it to ASUS?

BrodyBoy
12-11-2011, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the help! Unfortunately, I bought the laptop very slightly used, so exchanging with my retailer is not an option. Do you, or does anyone else, know if there is a set warranty on the G74 that I could use to get this problem fixed? Alternatively, could someone give me an estimate on how much a repair like this would cost if I sent it to ASUS?
So the seller didn't give you the warranty?

If that's the case, I think the shipping and labor cost would probably be much more than the cost of the touchpad. Are you comfortable going in there and working on it yourself? If so, ordering a new touchpad and replacing it yourself would probably be the cheapest and safest bet. But if you're not interested in doing that, I'd send it to Asus for replacement and make sure that their work and any replacement parts they use are guaranteed.

Bottom line, though.....this IS a hardware issue and you can't fix it with software. Unfortunately, that's likely the reason the original buyer sold it to you....he/she probably didn't have a return option.

Carlos_F
12-11-2011, 11:38 PM
Ah, okay. Thanks Brody. I'll look into replacing the touchpad myself, since that doesn't seem too bad.

Thanks for the help guys!