PDA

View Full Version : G750JS - Adding in old HDD to second port

Nooks
06-23-2015, 07:03 PM
A few months ago I switched the old HDD with a new SSD using the ASUS Backtracker to clone the OS to the SSD, and since then everything has been working smoothly. I've started from scratch on this new SSD because there wasn't really anything important on the old hard drive except some Steam games. However, now I want to add in my old HDD which came wiht the laptop to the second hard drive port for extended storage. With the OS and some data already on the old HDD, would I be okay to just add it in as is? Or will that not work because the HDD still has the OS on it? If this is the case, how would I go about adding in the HDD?

Any advice would be appreciated, I'm not really good with computers by any means. :confused:

Thanks!

Maxter
06-24-2015, 07:42 PM
as long as the SSD is on bay 0, you're ok. Also, you can go to BIOS and check where to start windows.

hmscott
06-24-2015, 08:37 PM
A few months ago I switched the old HDD with a new SSD using the ASUS Backtracker to clone the OS to the SSD, and since then everything has been working smoothly. I've started from scratch on this new SSD because there wasn't really anything important on the old hard drive except some Steam games. However, now I want to add in my old HDD which came wiht the laptop to the second hard drive port for extended storage. With the OS and some data already on the old HDD, would I be okay to just add it in as is? Or will that not work because the HDD still has the OS on it? If this is the case, how would I go about adding in the HDD?
Any advice would be appreciated, I'm not really good with computers by any means. :confused:
Thanks!

Nooks, you are correct in that you shouldn't have a bootable OS, especially a clone of the boot drive also installed - but you can do it if you are careful, and you already have been - making sure to only have the new boot drive in for first boot.

But, I don't recommend putting spinning hard drives in a laptop, they put out too much heat. Remove all the unnecessary heat generators from the laptop you can, and run them externally.

Put in a 2nd SSD, they are really cheap now, <$200 for 512GB, not much more for 1TB on sale.

And, put the HDD in an external USB 3.0 case. Notice how hot it gets :)

Preserve the original HDD install for future RMA - I have mine in an external HDD, but I don't plug it in any more. For $200-$300 you can get a 4TB 2.5" WD/Seagate external RAID0 drive - wait for it to go on sale.

Have fun :)