PDA

View Full Version : Reinstalling Windows 8.1 and G751JT questions

Raffafari
06-24-2015, 12:01 AM
Hello
To get right to the subject I want to reinstall Windows 8.1 on G751JT following this guide: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?59224-Install-Guide-for-Windows-8-1-on-G751-freeDOS-(no-windows-out-of-the-box)
And I was wondering if there have been any changes since it got posted that need any newer stuff like drivers or other install methods or if there is anything useful you can tell me so I won't get into any problems as I want to get gaming as soon as it installs.

Any advice and info regarding this is welcome and regarding the g-sync issue do i just download the drivers from Nvidia directly or do I have to make some changes after?

Thanks for reading :)

Clintlgm
06-24-2015, 02:18 AM
Yes get your ISO Here (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media)This will have all the latest update etc.
Asus Support Download (http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1) Here you will get the latest drivers for your notebook.
Download all your drivers and have them ready. on the install turn off update. If you want to only use a local account leave your notebook off the internet that will force Windows 8 to install with a local account instead of using a Microsoft account. Once installed install your chipset driver, then IRST and then IME, after those three you can load the Video drivers ATK package Audio drivers WiFi and Lan Bluetooth.
With all that installed you can turn on windows updates and update windows. Install your AV and IS Malware etc what ever you use. After that test everything out make sure all is working good if that's the case install your software and restore your data.

Raffafari
06-24-2015, 02:22 AM
Yes get your ISO Here (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media)This will have all the latest update etc.
Asus Support Download (http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1) Here you will get the latest drivers for your notebook.
Download all your drivers and have them ready. on the install turn off update. If you want to only use a local account leave your notebook off the internet that will force Windows 8 to install with a local account instead of using a Microsoft account. Once installed install your chipset driver, then IRST and then IME, after those three you can load the Video drivers ATK package Audio drivers WiFi and Lan Bluetooth.
With all that installed you can turn on windows updates and update windows. Install your AV and IS Malware etc what ever you use. After that test everything out make sure all is working good if that's the case install your software and restore your data.

Thank you for replying! I will start setting stuff up.
Regarding AV I saw many threads where it is mentioned Avast messes around with the laptop, should I get that or just stick to Windows Defender and Malwarebytes in your opinion ?

Clintlgm
06-24-2015, 03:52 PM
I use NIS and Malware Bytes Pro. I have never had an issue they play good together and 7, 8.1 have no issues. I don't trust myself to not run Norton. There have been issues with all other AV IS type programs. Free is not Free. I don't mind paying for my security. Over the years I have had issues with all these other AV IS programs. I can't speak to how they are now. You can get an idea of the issues by joining there support forums.

Gps3dx
06-24-2015, 10:54 PM
@Clintlgm - I hope you as me believe in facts, aka data...
Please look here for this comprehensive AV+firewall software compression (http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge-64/results.php) - and you'll be amazed how inferior Norton's NIS is !
Plus, you'll be amazed to here that a free product like Comodo's CIS is excel at protecting PCs....

My advise - Comodo CIS (free)+ Malwarebytes for best protection possible

Clintlgm
06-25-2015, 12:14 AM
Well I haven't researched it. Been with Norton for many years all through the System hog days. I just haven't looked around since Norton has protected me all these year with out ever getting infected, even through my Warez days. Over the years I have tried the others always the paid versions I never saw any improvement over Norton so I just keep on using and recommending it. I have seem many failures with other people and these want to be programs and sure these people probably would have been infected with Norton too since most likely they clicked on that open it anyway box. Just my humble opinion 25 something years experience or so.

beststevie
06-25-2015, 01:48 PM
Thank you for replying! I will start setting stuff up.
Regarding AV I saw many threads where it is mentioned Avast messes around with the laptop, should I get that or just stick to Windows Defender and Malwarebytes in your opinion ?

I got also problems with Avast at the beginning. But as I kicked off the original Bloatware installation and installed like described
above, Avast is running fine. As antivir programs are quiet difficult to uninstall, do a fullbackup before installing and then just try it.

Best regards"

steve

Raffafari
07-07-2015, 07:39 AM
I got also problems with Avast at the beginning. But as I kicked off the original Bloatware installation and installed like described
above, Avast is running fine. As antivir programs are quiet difficult to uninstall, do a fullbackup before installing and then just try it.

Best regards"

steve

Thank you to everyone for replying, I still did not install any antivirus and went for keeping Windows Defender updated and downloaded Malwarebytes. If I were to go for an AV I'd go for a free one and so far Avast was my choice but still a bit doubting as I heard it's kind of intrusive on privacy and regarding the Asus apps I did not install any like the GameCenter to mess with it.

And there has been like 100's of posts regarding G-sync but yet I have no idea from reading a few what is it in the end, will the old G751JT models work with it or just those new released ones?

Edweird
07-07-2015, 08:22 AM
This is not entirely cleared up yet. Most likely, there will be no support. However, some support representatives have said that there will be in various context, so ... maybe? (I'm talking official support, of course.)

I can also say that Avast has worked fine for me but I accidentally left it off for about 1.5 months and after a deep scan found nothing of note, so... I don't really have a large sample size as proof of it working right.

clockworksatan
07-07-2015, 10:37 AM
As a testament to how easy it is to reinstall Windows on the G751, I had to do it list night. Warning, sob story ahead...

So I only just got my G751 on Saturday and it was running fine. Everything seemed to be working properly until it randomly started freezing and rebooting - checking the event viewer was simply giving me the following message: "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly"

I'd also been having problems with Windows backup not wanting to save an image to my (correctly formatted) USB drive, so I used Asus Backtracker to create a system recovery disk. Now that the system was freezing, recovery seemed like a good idea, so I popped the USB in and set the restore in motion.

...Except it didn't work. It erased all of my drives then displayed a message saying that it could not find the recovery media. So here I was, stuck with a new laptop that wasn't even booting into Windows and couldn't restore because the recovery partition had been wiped. Great! I wasn't that familiar with Windows 8 either and was panicking because I didn't have a product key.

But I'd read that the product key is now hardwired into the BIOS so set off attempting to cleanly install Windows 8, and it turned out to be a breeze. I followed the guide on here to install the drivers in the correct order and it took no time at all to get back up and running. Hopefully you have a similar experience with your clean install. :D

Clintlgm
07-07-2015, 07:22 PM
Yep well maybe its fords and Chevrolets, I just was there in the beginning and Norton was there for us, has gone through several renditions and seem to be better than ever since 2009