PDA

View Full Version : Adding a SSD 64GB Dribe Need Help..

clinthill98
12-12-2011, 05:48 AM
I have the G74SX-AH71 model and im looking to add a SSD drive can i need help on what size i guess 2.5 and how easy is it to install it thanks?

clinthill98
12-12-2011, 05:50 AM
i meant Drive!!

BrodyBoy
12-12-2011, 09:13 AM
A 64Gb SSD should work fine as your OD drive, so long as you're careful to save program data (and even some programs, if they're huge) over on your other drive.

Physical installation of the drive is very easy. You have two options when it comes to putting Windows on it:

You can save an image (a special kind of compresed copy) of your current C: drive, install the new SSD, and then restore the image to the new drive. You'll have the exact same installation that you had before, just on the new drive.
You can install a fresh copy of Windows on the new drive. With this approach, you re-use your Asus product key to continue using the Win7 Home Premium you paid for, but you have a "clean" version of it.....it'll only have the Asus bloatware that you choose to install.

The second approach is a little more work (not much), but it has the advantage of producing a leaner, more stable Windows installation.

clinthill98
12-12-2011, 06:09 PM
A 64Gb SSD should work fine as your OD drive, so long as you're careful to save program data (and even some programs, if they're huge) over on your other drive.

Physical installation of the drive is very easy. You have two options when it comes to putting Windows on it:

You can save an image (a special kind of compresed copy) of your current C: drive, install the new SSD, and then restore the image to the new drive. You'll have the exact same installation that you had before, just on the new drive.
You can install a fresh copy of Windows on the new drive. With this approach, you re-use your Asus product key to continue using the Win7 Home Premium you paid for, but you have a "clean" version of it.....it'll only have the Asus bloatware that you choose to install.

The second approach is a little more work (not much), but it has the advantage of producing a leaner, more stable Windows installation.

yea ive even took time to backup all that bloatware to my portable hd i also think it came with all the other drivers which is nice.. i just glazed over it tho i think thats right though.. ok thats good to here but how about the installion? i just unscrew the back and put in the drive do i need a holder for the drive?

im getting this:
Crucial 64 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT064M4SSD2
SILVERSTONE SDP08 3.5 to 2 X 2.5-Inch Bay Converter

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-64-2-5-Inch-Solid-State-CT064M4SSD2/dp/B004W2JKWG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323712661&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/SILVERSTONE-SDP08-3-5-2-5-Inch-Converter/dp/B002BH3Z8E/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_b

BrodyBoy
12-12-2011, 08:27 PM
but how about the installion? i just unscrew the back and put in the drive do i need a holder for the drive?

Yes, you just open the back panel. You'll see the two hard drive caddies, and generally, the one on the side (not the one in the center, using the ribbon cable connector) is the system drive. That's the one you're replacing.

Unfortunately, you need to remove the other drive to be able to get the system drive out. (Hint: Keep the drives separate, because they look alike and it's easy to get them mixed up!) Remove the current system drive from its caddy and put the new SSD in it. Then put reinstall the caddies as they were before.

clinthill98
12-13-2011, 12:46 AM
on thanks for the info thats interesting guess ill have too look for a 512GB gonna be costly tho lol thanks for info and picture of the back :) some other guy just posted how to disassemble the g74 series on the front page of here too im thankful for that too good timing :P ive been looking for that before i start updating my laptop without knowing how to properly open it and whats what... getting my ROG education here!! lol

BrodyBoy
12-13-2011, 12:49 AM
thats interesting guess ill have too look for a 512GB gonna be costly tho
Not sure what you mean....? I must not have been clear, because you don;t need another drive,

clinthill98
12-13-2011, 02:24 AM
Not sure what you mean....? I must not have been clear, because you don;t need another drive,

i want the fast boot times and still the space.. i think 349GB is well enough but idk yet

BrodyBoy
12-13-2011, 02:57 AM
i want the fast boot times and still the space.. i think 349GB is well enough but idk yet
The "space" is on the secondary drive! ;) There's no real advantage to getting a really big OS drive, and the cost is exorbitant when you're talking about SSDs. The typical setup for many G74 owners is to use a moderately-sized SSD (64Gb to 160Gb) for the OS drive, then one of the 750Gb HDDs as the secondary data drive.

clinthill98
12-13-2011, 04:42 AM
ya so that can work.. i got a 1tb portable hd last year for like 100 dollars pretty cheap so your right that is a good setup thanks for the info! 1tb + 64gb ssd drive

BrodyBoy
12-13-2011, 06:47 AM
ya so that can work.. i got a 1tb portable hd last year for like 100 dollars pretty cheap so your right that is a good setup thanks for the info! 1tb + 64gb ssd drive
LOL...we're still not on the same page! I'm only talking about internal drives. There are two SATA drive bays in the G74SX. If you buy an SSD, you put it in one bay and use it for the operating system. You put the 750Gb hard drive that came with the computer in the other drive bay and use it as the data drive.