PDA

View Full Version : G72X powers off on its own,Help

TaiChi
12-12-2011, 05:54 AM
My Asus G72 is 2 years old and has no problems untill a few weeks ago.

My Harddrive died, and I replaced it with a Hitachi 5400 500 gig model.
I installed the recovery Dvds to the new Hd, then Had trouble getting windows update to enable this was resolved with Help from Microsoft.

After the new install on the new HD i have had trouble booting without having Disc#1 (dvd) recovery in dvd bay,

still not resolved,'

AND now a new problem:

Laptop will just turn off, this happens plugged in or on battery.
there are no error messages when it reboots,

I have monitered temps and they appear in spec,,
Any Ideas?
Thanks

BrodyBoy
12-12-2011, 06:03 AM
My suggestion for the weird boot thing would be to run Windows Startup Repair. Hit F8 immediately after powering up, and follow the Repair my computer option.

Let's see if you can get the boot issue resolved, then move on to the spontaneous shut-downs.

TaiChi
12-12-2011, 07:22 AM
Thanks, I'll work on that tomorrow and get back with result
Aloha

TaiChi
12-13-2011, 05:46 PM
well ran the repair option after pressing F8.
Reported that it made a repair.
Ram mem test no errors
reran Repair No errors detected.
said if I had recently attached a webcam (no) or Mp3 player(no)
connect vendor

So It will still not boot without DvD #1 recovery disc in bay.
And It still unexpectedly Powers off.. It doesn't attempted a auto reboot
I need to press power button to reboot
???

dstrakele
12-13-2011, 05:56 PM
It sounds like there is a driver missing or corrupted in the installation that it needs to obtain from the DVD. You could confirm if this is the case with a Bootlog: http://sourcedaddy.com/windows-7/how-to-enable-boot-logging.html

However, it may be easier to abandon your attempt to reinstall the pre-installed ASUS Windows 7 OS with included Bloatware and perform a clean Windows 7 install.

JRd1st
12-13-2011, 06:15 PM
However, it may be easier to abandon your attempt to reinstall the pre-installed ASUS Windows 7 OS with included Bloatware and perform a clean Windows 7 install.
+1 My thought exactly!

TaiChi
12-13-2011, 07:17 PM
Thanks I have considered the clean install, I will need to buy a win7 version. I have win7 home of this machine, I can buy Professional correct, And install home with my key under laptop to Home version/ Then use the purchased Pro version for a new install on a new harddive in the future,correct.
But i fear on new clean install is the power failure poblem. Won't it interfere.?
My laptop it the only computer i have with a dvd burner so that seems hard also it may power off creating a ISO..which i have also never tried.

xeromist
12-13-2011, 07:35 PM
You could put Ubuntu on a flash drive and try booting from that(it doesn't have to install anything). This will do two things for you: Allow you to test under another OS to isolate any hardware problems. Hopefully allow you to burn an ISO of Win7 without rebooting.

BrodyBoy
12-13-2011, 08:21 PM
I will need to buy a win7 version. I have win7 home of this machine, I can buy Professional correct, And install home with my key under laptop to Home version/ Then use the purchased Pro version for a new install on a new harddive in the future,correct.
Not exactly sure what you're asking, but you don't need to buy anything for this machine....you already own a license for WIndows 7 Home Premium that you can use on it. You use an installer disk that you make yourself (from a downloaded ISO), and then re-use your existing OEM product key. You can save that copy of Win Pro for some other time.

But i fear on new clean install is the power failure poblem. Won't it interfere.?
My laptop it the only computer i have with a dvd burner so that seems hard also it may power off creating a ISO..which i have also never tried.
Making the ISO or a USB installer only takes a few minutes, so hopefully you could get one make before shutdown. Or use xeromist's ubuntu suggestion. (But downloading the ISO does take a long time, so if you haven't done that and you're concerned your laptop won;t stay powered up that long, you might want to find an accommodating friend to let you do it on their computer.)

Once you are actually doing the install, you're not using your FUBAR Windows installation, so assuming this is all a big software fiasco, it can't rear it's ugly head during your clean install.

TaiChi
12-13-2011, 09:33 PM
okay I will try to do on alt comp
Sorry about the ? on buying a copy of windows.
I would like to buy a oem sys builder version,, to have around, im thinking of building a comp soon. so My ? is
If i buy a win7 professional version, a step about the oem and use this purchased version to do a clean install on my laptop Will the key on my laptop be ok to activate the Home version on laptop. so that in the future I can use the win7 on a new sys with its included Key?
Thanks to all..
Think ill try the ubuntu Idea to see if the power stays on thats a Good idea..I can tell u the asus version quick start powers off too, isnt that a linux op?

BrodyBoy
12-13-2011, 09:39 PM
so My ? is
If i buy a win7 professional version, a step about the oem and use this purchased version to do a clean install on my laptop Will the key on my laptop be ok to activate the Home version on laptop. so that in the future I can use the win7 on a new sys with its inclided Key?
Thanks to all..
No, the OEM key on your laptop will ONLY work with Windows Home Premium. If you install that Windows Pro edition, it will only accept the Product Key on the Windows Pro box.

An important note about OEM system builder versions of Windows:

Once you install and activate an OEM copy of Windows on a computer, it is forever "wedded" to that particular machine. You can't move it in the future to another computer. This is an important difference between the OEM and Retail/Upgrade versions. Retail versions can be moved....you can think of it as a license attached to you, the buyer. But OEM versions can't be moved...they are considered to be attached to a particular OEM machine. (This is why they aren't really meant for end-users to buy and use.)

TaiChi
12-13-2011, 11:54 PM
Okay thanks for that, I thought that you could use any version of Win7 But the key would limit it to the oem version that the key was made for ie: win 7 home premiem.

Ok next i made a ubuntu iso and followed direction here on apps ect thread,
'Placing it in usb slot and powering up..it doesnt load ubuntu it still finds windows?
let me explain more. most times i need the Dvd disc 1 in dvd bay to load to(boot) windows,,there is expections it will boot 1 or 2 times AFTER a boot with disc in, I can remove disc and for at least 2 times it will boot ok,

So I tried to boot with usb iso,,no go, dead no power
'I boot with dvd to windows,,ok boots ,,,,reboot remove disc insert usb thumb drive with ISO,,IT boots to windows,,uggh
I pressed f2 removable media is 1st boot order, looks at trash can,, somethings going in ,lol
THANKS

BrodyBoy
12-13-2011, 11:59 PM
Exactly what happens when you try to boot to Windows without the DVD in the optical drive? What happens, or what message do you get?

In the BIOS boot order, BTW, your hard drive (the one with Windows on it) should be #1.

I pressed f2 removable media is 1st boot order, looks at trash can,, somethings going in ,lol
I'm sorry...I don't understand this. What trash can?

xeromist
12-14-2011, 12:06 AM
A point of order: there are discs that exist and they can be made which will allow you to install any version based on key. Not all are this way of course. Nonetheless I would just get the version you want if I were you.

BrodyBoy
12-14-2011, 12:12 AM
A point of order: there are discs that exist and they can be made which will allow you to install any version based on key. Not all are this way of course. Nonetheless I would just get the version you want if I were you.
That doesn't change the fact that you must install your OEM edition in order to re-use the OEM key. But he was wondering about using a purchased version of Win Pro as an installer.

xeromist
12-14-2011, 12:17 AM
Yeah, he'd have to get the Win Pro version, strip the version information, and burn it to a new disc. Hence me saying he should get the right version to begin with because it wouldn't be any easier. I was just pointing out where he may have been confused by something else he had heard.

TaiChi
12-14-2011, 12:27 AM
Yes Mr X your correct
and once again sorry..
Trash can..I was frustrated..toss this laptop in there..A Joke(sort of)
If i try to boot with NO disc in drive.. I see the asus splash screen. And Immediately it powers off..No error

TaiChi
12-14-2011, 09:35 PM
Well. I am still at this, I ran a Dvd Movie, and ran it twice, TaiChi MAster, Jet Li, might as well learn something (lol).
It never powered off,,,I then open windows and started a search,,, clicked my mouse Pad,BOOM power off,

I also found that the computer will boot with a blank dvd in drive, although not fool proof, This morning it booted, but said it couldnt find desktop. It did have everything else listed above start button,?
Also my Ubuntu flash isnt booting ( i made this. I need to bring to work and see if I made in wrong,
Thanks again

dstrakele
12-14-2011, 10:08 PM
I also found that the computer will boot with a blank dvd in drive, although not fool proof, This morning it booted, but said it couldnt find desktop. It did have everything else listed above start button,?
Also my Ubuntu flash isnt booting ( i made this. I need to bring to work and see if I made in wrong...

I'm thinking you may need to reseat the HDD in your laptop. A poor connection (or the drive itself may be faulty) may be why it sometimes boots and sometimes does not. Sometimes it finds the Desktop on the HDD, some times it needs to find it on the Recovery DVD, if it can't find it on either (because you have a blank DVD in the drive or the ODD is empty) it just powers off after the splash screen.

It may also explain why your system is randomly shutting down after it boots successfully.

Another possibility is one or more memory chips in your laptop is bad. It may be worthwhile to run memtest86 to confirm your memory is sound.

I suspect there was a problem and the Ubuntu ISO image is not correctly burned to your flash drive or something went awry in the process to make the flash drive bootable.

xeromist
12-14-2011, 10:49 PM
Yeah, I'm going with hard drive as well. It was just replaced and he can watch a movie (not using the HDD) just fine until he pulls up the file system (using it). Too many coincidences to start anywhere else.

TaiChi
12-15-2011, 12:06 AM
Yes the power off started with the new HD.
I have reseated it twice.
I am missing one screw on the top caddy were i secure in to base and 1 screw on the side caddy. This seems secure enough?

xeromist
12-15-2011, 12:38 AM
Yes, that would be secure enough. You should check to see if there is a firmware update for the HDD but I'm guessing you should exchange or RMA it.

dstrakele
12-15-2011, 01:01 AM
It's the fact that the boot intermittently succeeds that indicates running CHKDSK C: /F /R /B to repair the OS partition may not be the answer. I'd still run it anyway.

I'd also still perform the memtest86 memory test to eliminate that as a possible cause.

TaiChi
12-15-2011, 02:42 AM
Yes I did run check disc,,
seemed okay
And I ran the mem test within the F8 menu.I know thats a short test(No errors). Ill try memtest if it will run that long..
TX
As far as RMA do you mean the laptop,(okay reread your post U refer 2 the HD) ,I got the hd at office max. A hitachi, not a seagate like the OEM.That should not make a difference ,,?

dstrakele
12-15-2011, 03:02 AM
As long as the HDD is recognized by the BIOS, it should not make a difference. I'd recommend contacting OfficeMax to see if they will replace your Hitachi HDD with a new unit.

TaiChi
12-15-2011, 06:15 AM
okay I'll call Office Max tomorrow and see.:)

Small update.yes other computers will boot with the ubuntu pendrive, funny mine doesnt see it.
also tonight i left it on (no power offs} and it downloaded service pack 1 and rebooted a few times during the unpacking and install process, succesful install of service pack 1....will keep u posted.

I just cant understand why It needs ANY dvd in drive to boot,,recovery disc, blank dvd, or even a dvd movie, without something in the drive it just powers off after Asus splash

TaiChi
12-15-2011, 08:49 AM
okay Google is our friend..theres quite a lot of posts about booting with any DVD in drive..its late I'll need to work on this tomorrow.
I am using Ubuntu ATM yeah!!
Went into BIOS and found a option that listed my Hard drives I had 2 listed the Hitachi and the USB pen drive,I made the pen #1 and here I am...Ill need time to see if it powers off

BrodyBoy
12-15-2011, 10:43 AM
TaiChi:

I just went back and re-read the thread. I hadn't seen the part earlier when you said even a blank DVD worked as your boot "prop." That's very interesting and makes me think that this could be related to SATA enumeration errors. At every boot, the BIOS polls the SATA ports for installed devices, and healthy devices should respond the same way every time.

If the new HDD is defective, as others have suggested, maybe it's not always responding as expected. This could, in turn, mess up your Boot Options Priorities such that your actual boot drive (the Hitachi) isn't even in the list sometimes. Therefore....no boot.

I suspect you could probably boot every time if you always F2'd into the BIOS and reset Boot Option #1 to the Hitachi HDD. (Unless there are times when the disk is truly never recognized at all.) But of course, that's no more acceptable a solution than having to put a DVD in the tray.

Sounds like there's no previous evidence to suggest a faulty BIOS, so that leaves the drive. Rather than try to figure out why it's not working, I'd return it for replacement, then re-run the factory restore. To ensure a trouble-free factory restore onto this fresh disk, leave the second hard drive out or disconnected until you're done. (If there is a 2nd drive.)

TaiChi
12-15-2011, 06:15 PM
okay ,,thats what I'll do next.
If i do return The ?Defective?) hd..any suggested precautious about data on it. there isnt much maybe email passwords. I can change those.
Anyway, THANK you To All!!

xeromist
12-15-2011, 06:49 PM
Well, if you're comfortable with ubuntu then you should be able to format the drive which would remove the data from all but the most determined people.

TaiChi
12-15-2011, 07:43 PM
Well, if you're comfortable with ubuntu then you should be able to format the drive which would remove the data from all but the most determined people.
lol masked man
I called office max. at first they said I'd need to contact manufacturer...but then said if i had the box and ALL,they'd exchange it!
I also have a ticket with Microsoft, I'll talk with them first.. I will keep updating,and Hopefully be able to post a resolution.

BrodyBoy
12-15-2011, 07:52 PM
I also have a ticket with Microsoft, I'll talk with them first.. I will keep updating,and Hopefully be able to post a resolution.
For this same problem? I wouldn't bother trying more software fixes....exchange the drive and see how the new one works.

TaiChi
12-16-2011, 09:58 PM
yeah,talked with MS this morning,recommend replace HD,,then if problems send to vendor..a possible bus problem

TaiChi
12-17-2011, 03:08 AM
Just got the new HD, maybe I didnt install properly last go around,
Do I need to format the new drive before restoring with the rescue discs..I thought the rescue Dvd did it automatically.?
I wii be restoring to whole Harddrive also not 2 partitions is that best?
tx
also I did store a image of the last drive I'm replacing to a external Hd,,would it be best to restore from that or the rescue discs?
okay got it figured out

BrodyBoy
12-17-2011, 04:53 AM
Just got the new HD, maybe I didnt install properly last go around,
Do I need to format the new drive before restoring with the rescue discs..I thought the rescue Dvd did it automatically.?
I believe it should do it automatically.

I wii be restoring to whole Harddrive also not 2 partitions is that best?
tx
also I did store a image of the last drive I'm replacing to a external Hd,,would it be best to restore from that or the rescue discs?
There's no "best" here.....it's all a matter of personal preference. If you want to start from scratch with that out-of-the-box-brand-new-computer smell (;)), do a factory restore onto the new HDD. If you would rather pick up where you left off with your previous installation, restore the system image that you saved.

Similarly, it's just a matter of personal preference whether you want multiple partitions on the new drive or whether you want Windows to use all the space. Personally, I like to break up broad storage categories into their own partitions (Music, Backup, etc.), but lots of other people prefer to just organize with folders. (Your choice now isn't permanent, since you can always change it later in Disk Management.)

TaiChi
12-17-2011, 08:46 AM
Well 1st I would like to SAY, "big thanks"!
I hope this will be my 2nd to the last post on this issue.
The new HD is booting fine, no disc needed in drive. so i guess BAD HD OUT OF THE BOX.
I will install my game, and run for a few days. Hoping it won't power off, so far so Good!
Once again. Thank You!

BrodyBoy
12-17-2011, 08:57 AM
Glad to hear it's working! :)

TaiChi
12-19-2011, 12:45 AM
okay, running 2 straight days with no issues: The Hard drive was Bad straight out of the box.
Solution replaced with Another New Drive
Would/can a moderator edit thread title(?)