PDA

View Full Version : G74 Screen Darkness (non)Uniformity

Doan
12-12-2011, 02:54 PM
I made a black png in mspaint, 1920x1080, and viewed as a slideshow (to get the fullscreen image) in Windows Photo Viewer, and the black is far from uniform throughout the screen; certain sections are noticeably lighter. Screen at full brightness, in a very dark room to easily identify the differences.

Is this the same for everyone? I'm noticing it during all dark fullscreens now, especially Skyrim's intro and the black screens while restarting the system. My $175 (as of 3 years ago) LCD monitor looks much better while viewing a black fullscreen in a dark room. When not fullscreen, it's hardly noticible, but when it is fullscreen it looks bad.

dstrakele
12-12-2011, 04:04 PM
I attempted to reproduce your issue and don't see the lack of uniformity. It's not as dark as on my VIZIO TV external monitor (that's not a surprise) at full brightness, but looks uniform on both.

What display (Hardware Ids or manufacturer) do you have?

Doan
12-12-2011, 04:30 PM
hwid CMO1726

dstrakele
12-12-2011, 04:34 PM
That's what I've got. Does it show up in a screenshot or photo you could post?

Doan
12-12-2011, 04:44 PM
Doesn't show up on screenshots. I'll try a pic later today.

dstrakele
12-12-2011, 08:54 PM
Doesn't show up on screenshots. I'll try a pic later today.

Yeah - I don't know what I was thinkin'! The screenshot is just the perfectly black digital image. It'll have to be a photo to show what you're actually seeing on the display. I'm wondering if it is a loose or faulty video cable? However, under that scenario, I'd expect some other colors to show up.

Perhaps something is pressing against the back of the display in certain areas? Does the appearance change if you move the display from one corner (i.e. put a small amount of torque on it)?

Doan
12-13-2011, 01:24 PM
I tried a picture, but it's too reflective, even in the dark, to be able to identify the issues I'm talking about.

The display temporarily lightens if I squeeze the bezel, if that's what you meant.

Are the edges of your display the same darkness as the rest of the screen? Mine are noticeably lighter. Not extreme, but far from uniform. An easier method of checking would be to preview the Blank screensaver in a dark room.

dstrakele
12-14-2011, 01:45 AM
That's how I attempted to reproduce your issue - Black image, full screen, brightness all the way up, dark room. I cannot convince myself I see any edge lighting even after staring at the screen for a long time. If it does exist, it is very subtle.

Another user recently posted that there was a slight gap between the display and the bezel on the edges and light from the backlight LED's was leaking through. It was visible looking at the display from one side. Could that be the cause of your issue? I tried to find that thread, but was unsuccessful.

Doan
12-14-2011, 03:32 AM
In a dark room, I can see light between the bezel and the display if I'm at an extreme angle, but I don't think that's causing the issue I'm seeing. If you can't see a light edge in a dark room, then I'm convinced I've got a bad display. Bleh.. and I'm sure they won't send it to me and let me install it while it's under warranty :/

Doan
01-19-2012, 07:52 PM
I RMA'ed my G74 today, adding an issue about the keyboard randomly not registering keystrokes. I think that's an issue on all G74's: if the key isn't firmly pressed, then it won't make the physical connection needed to recognize the pressed key. So I'm not sure how hopeful I should be about that. From comments in this thread, and lack of familiar complaints, I'm optimistic that a screen-replacement will solve the darks issue, though.

Edit: 11 days later, screen replaced. No issues.