PDA

View Full Version : Installing a SSD to my G53SW-XN1 help

kthphotos
12-14-2011, 01:39 AM
Hey guys i am new here,

i want to know how do i install a ssd onto the laptop with win 7. Will the computer know to install all the laptop drivers and such? also will my asus software work like the asus laptop buttons?

Also how do i get windows 7 since the laptop did not come with it.

rockandroller
12-14-2011, 06:24 AM
There are no drivers, per se. If you are installing it as a second ( data) drive, just plug it in, and all will work as if it were any normal HD.

if you want to BOOT from your new SSD, you need to prepare a win7 install DVD ( or USB stick) - and do a fresh, clean install to the SSD.

I STRONGLY ADVISE you remove the original hard drive first...

I've installed my SSD both ways, works great as long as you leave UEFI disabled in the BIOS.

If you don't have the install media, you can download it and burn to disk ( or bootable USB, if yer up to making one) - and then just enter the serial number from the bottom of your machine. Links to the (legal) ISO download are posted here ( http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1150-G73-74-53-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference ...)

BrodyBoy
12-14-2011, 08:37 AM
Hey guys i am new here,

i want to know how do i install a ssd onto the laptop with win 7. Will the computer know to install all the laptop drivers and such? also will my asus software work like the asus laptop buttons?

Also how do i get windows 7 since the laptop did not come with it.
You have two options:

OPTION 1. Transfer your Windows installation to the new SSD. This involves saving a system image, physically installing the SSD, then restoring the system image to the new drive. After that, you can reformat your hard drive and use it as your secondary data drive. With this approach, your software setup will be the same, except now you're operating system is running from the new SSD.

OPTION 2: Do a clean Windows installation. This involves physically installing the SSD, then installing Windows 7 on it, followed by all the essential drivers and your own programs. Again, you could reformat the hard drive to use it as your secondary drive. With this approach, your whole Windows setup will be new, as if you're setting it up and customizing for the first time.

The second option results in a cleaner, more stable installation, but it's also a little more involved. Either method is entirely doable if you're patient and willing to take it step by step.

clarkkent06
12-14-2011, 02:01 PM
I did option 2 of brodyboy's post, worked out awesome.

I also used this video as reference, give it a watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev8y8xlCdHE

kthphotos
12-14-2011, 03:02 PM
The Legal windows 7 iso doesn't work.

BrodyBoy
12-14-2011, 07:22 PM
The Legal windows 7 iso doesn't work.
Can you elaborate?

kthphotos
12-14-2011, 08:55 PM
The link to the Legal WIndows 7 DVD / ISO file does not work when i click it.

WhirledNews
12-14-2011, 09:30 PM
This thread will help you:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s

Similar thread as yours:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5361-Installing-SSD-with-Windows-HP-64-on-an-ASUS-G74SX-XN1

kthphotos
12-17-2011, 07:34 PM
hey guys i tried installing it but it tells me that i cannot install windows onto it why is that? i enabled it in my old OS. it says something like i gotta do with a controller on BIOS. please help i already deleted my old OS.

BrodyBoy
12-17-2011, 07:40 PM
hey guys i tried installing it but it tells me that i cannot install windows onto it why is that? i enabled it in my old OS. it says something like i gotta do with a controller on BIOS. please help i already deleted my old OS.
You enabled "what" in your old OS? You're having a problem with Windows Setup....is that right? Can you clarify exactly when it's failing and what the error is?

kthphotos
12-17-2011, 07:45 PM
i enabled the ssd in my old os. When i tried to select the disk to install the windows 7 i highlight it and it says (windows cannot be installed into this drive) i clicked details and it says i have to enable some controller thingy and it said the drive may not be compatible with my computer components.

kthphotos
12-17-2011, 07:48 PM
i get a error code (0x80070057)

BrodyBoy
12-17-2011, 07:49 PM
The problem is a controller (likely SATA) that isn't properly configured. But the actual error message is kinda important here.... ;)

Go into the BIOS and enable AHCI. It's on the "Advanced" page under "SATA configuration." Don't change anything else in there.

BrodyBoy
12-17-2011, 07:51 PM
now its even worst i restarted the computer the ssd wont even show up now.
In Setup? There's currently no operating system installed, right?

kthphotos
12-17-2011, 07:55 PM
i get a error code (0x80070057)
yeah it's on ahci

BrodyBoy
12-17-2011, 08:08 PM
To focus things a bit, it would be helpful to stat from some sort of "base" rather than playing 20 questions. How about starting here:

Check that your SSD firmware is up-to-date. Update it if necessary.
Remove all other peripherals.....mice, USB drives, etc., and preferably, detach your 2nd HHD if you have one.
Go into the BIOS. Save and exit with optimized defaults.
Boot from the Windows Installer disk and start Windows Setup.
If Setup fails, please report exactly when it fails, what it does, and the whole error message, if there is one.

kthphotos
12-17-2011, 09:26 PM
*unintentional post*

kthphotos
12-17-2011, 10:22 PM

This is what i got when i looked at the Details of that link, i would get this when i force install it 0x80070057.
MY SSD is a ADATA 120GB S510 btw.

BrodyBoy
12-17-2011, 10:31 PM
Has that SSD worked at all in your machine? (Before the clean install, for example?) Just want to make sure the drive is known to work and not defective.

Also, where are you installing Windows from....a DVD installer disk?

kthphotos
12-17-2011, 10:46 PM
Yeah i'm using the Windows Install disk that was in the provided link in the first page. The drive works fine i've ran it in diskmanagement in 2 other laptops. i've even taken out the other hard drive and i still get the same error code 0x80070057.

BrodyBoy
12-17-2011, 11:20 PM
Okay, so you have already reset the BIOS to optimized defaults? Double-check that SATA configuration is in AHCI mode, and turn UEFI off.

Then when you try Windows Setup again, and get to the partition table, see if you can delete that existing partition on the SSD. If you can, the table should then show "Disk 1 Unallocated Space." Try to choose that as the target destination.

BrodyBoy
12-17-2011, 11:45 PM
The next step, if that fails, is to "clean" the SSD....but let's cross that bridge when we come to it. ;)

kthphotos
12-18-2011, 12:09 AM
okay i tried and alt. method from another forum and it worked but is there something wrong with the cd? i've been stuck on "installing features" for like the past 15 min. i am using the same "legal copy windows 7" disk from the link on the first page i'm just stuck here but i hear the cd spinning no dvd light though. My laptop light is still on. doesn't seem to have much activity going on.

BrodyBoy
12-18-2011, 12:25 AM
You mean it got stuck right after "Expanding Windows" files? And hasn't moved on to "Installing Updates?"

It should have jumped really fast through that step.....so it sounds like a stalled installation to me. You can wait a bit longer, if you like, but if you decide to give up, you'll need to shut it down and start over.

kthphotos
12-18-2011, 12:29 AM
yeah i tried it twice already.

edit: am i having the worst luck or what i've been turning on and off the laptop so much that it just freezes when i get to "starting windows" it won't even go to the setup.

this has been the worst day ever trying to install this ssd.

BrodyBoy
12-18-2011, 12:51 AM
Sorry to hear of all the trouble. Willing to give it one more try? Starting from scratch with a clean SSD?

kthphotos
12-18-2011, 03:50 AM
If the 3rd light on the right glows does that mean it is loading anything?

this has been extremly ****in' annoying i've been doing this for the whole damn day. I've only moved one step closer, and windows 7 decides to hang when i try to install. sigh

BrodyBoy
12-18-2011, 05:20 AM
I asked hours ago if you wanted to try another approach, and got no response. Let me know if you want to try the clean disk attempt I mentioned earlier.

kthphotos
12-18-2011, 05:55 AM
clean disk? please explain.

BrodyBoy
12-18-2011, 09:28 AM
clean disk? please explain.
This time, you'll wipe EVERYTHING off the drive, including any MBR/boot sector data that might be tripping up Windows Setup. It's basically just an added step early in the Setup routine.

Power up and immediately hit ESC to access the boot menu
Select the optical drive and press Enter. Windows Setup should start to load.
When it gets to the language selection screen, press Shift + F10 to open a command window.
(In the following instructions, type the commands as written, without quotation marks)
Type "diskpart" and press Enter to open the Windows Diskpart utility.
Type "list disk" and press Enter.
You'll see your installed hard drives, each assigned a disk number.
Identify your SSD in the list and note its disk number.
Type "select disk x" (where x = your SSD disk number) and press Enter.
Type "clean" and press Enter.
This takes a little while, then you finally get the message "Disk x was successfully cleaned."
Type "exit" to close diskpart.
Type "exit" again to close the command window and return to Windows Setup.

Proceed with Windows Setup. When you get to the partition table, your whole SSD should be unallocated space. Select it as the target location for the new installation, and continue.

This assumes that your SSD firmware is up-to-date. (I looked on the website and there was an update about a month ago....so do that BEFORE installing Windows, if you haven't already).

If Setup still fails with (1) optimized BIOS defaults, (2) updated SSD firmware, and (3) a completely clean target drive, I'd burn a new Installer disk (on the off-off-off chance that the DVD media is defective).

kthphotos
12-18-2011, 04:51 PM
i already did the diskpart method it is probably i did not update my adata ssd. It was strange i downloaded the firmware updater but it did not recognize my ssd.

BrodyBoy
12-18-2011, 08:03 PM
i already did the diskpart method it is probably i did not update my adata ssd. It was strange i downloaded the firmware updater but it did not recognize my ssd.
So all this time, the SSD had not been updated.....? And it's not even recognized by its own manufacturer software?

This whole Win installation discussion was kind of pointless....you never mentioned that you were trying to install to a drive with a known problem......

kthphotos
12-18-2011, 09:17 PM
what does that even mean? are you saying that the drive i have has a problem if so why didn't you just tell me in the beginning instead of wasting my time reaching out for help on this forum?

BrodyBoy
12-18-2011, 09:38 PM
what does that even mean? are you saying that the drive i have has a problem if so why didn't you just tell me in the beginning instead of wasting my time reaching out for help on this forum?

Seriously?

I said early on that your "baseline" for troubleshooting needed to include an updated drive. (See Post #16 (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?7075-Installing-a-SSD-to-my-G53SW-XN1-help&p=52715&viewfull=1#post52715)) You never responded that it wasn't, or that you had tried and failed. So I assumed it was updated.

I asked early on whether the drive had any issues. You said it was "fine" (see Post #20 (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?7075-Installing-a-SSD-to-my-G53SW-XN1-help&p=52753&viewfull=1#post52753)) and never mentioned that you had tried and not been able to update it....or that the Adata updater didn't even recognize it....i.e., that it's not actually fine at all.

Now, finally....you post:

If you had provided that information earlier when I was specifically asking about the drive...."at the beginning," as you put it.....I would have told you that you needed to deal with the drive issue BEFORE even attempting to install Windows.

I made a good-faith effort to help you. You failed to provide pertinent, accurate information even when asked. And now you insult my time and effort......

Who wasted whose time? Good luck resolving your SSD issue.