PDA

View Full Version : G751 WIN 8.1 - Different sound problem

lazzo
07-02-2015, 04:04 PM
G751JY Windows 8.1 freshly installed (followed all the needed instructions found here).
Everything works fine until the point where I install Sound drivers for my laptop (newest from the website ofc.).
What happens then I don't know but the sound isn't working anymore at all, I can hear some part of the song here and there for a second, half a second or so.

I tried the newest drivers on the asus website for my model and the ones I got with the CD.
This laptop has 2 front speakers and 1 subwoofer.
Diagnose:

I installed fresh win8.1 with formated HDD to be sure that all the previous versions of drivers were uninstalled.
I installed all the drivers except the sound drivers (bios is the newest).
Now I am using windows drivers and when I play an .mp3 file I can hear all the sound coming from the woofer.
I can turn the volume up or down from 0-100% and everything works.
Windows detects speakers as two devices one is for the front speakers and the other device is for the woofer.

This is the STRANGE PART:
Then if I go to sound properties and change the "DEFAULT PLAYBACK DEVICE" to other speaker (Which is for the two front speakers), I don't hear anything until I lower the volume like bellow 50-60% I can hear the mp3 file playing. Its pretty silent. And if at any point I change volume to higher than 50-60% the sound stops. I can see the sound wave moving (which is indicating that some sounds should be reproducing) but I can't hear anything. Then after I change again to bellow 50-60% after a second or two I can hear the sound.

I tried reinstalling windows multiple times, I tried Windows 10 and the same problem persisted. I tried newest drivers which are according to this forum fixing this problem. I called Asus service and they told me to bring the device if I think its a hardware issue and to update BIOS.
Well how can I know if its a hardware issue? Does it seem like one?

Prostar Computer
07-02-2015, 09:28 PM
If the Windows native driver works just fine, then no: it does not seem like a hardware malfunction. You can take them up on the offer all the same to have them test everything for you, for what it's worth to you.

When you install Windows, do you install the chipset driver before installing any other driver?

lazzo
07-03-2015, 09:25 AM
I am not sure but I will try that.
Well the problem is that windows native driver doesn't work for speakers other than woofer. I can't set their volume higher than 30%-40% or so.
I installed some older drivers from Asus website and managed to get the sound working, but only till 49% volume, if I go beyond that the sound stops.

IF I play a song from lets say youtube(] or windows media player) and set the volume to 30% in it, and set master volume to 40% I can hear the song playing. And its playing until I increase volume in windows media player (or youtube whichever), then the sound stops.

Basicly its like if no matter what I do speakers know the sound volume and won't play anything pass it.
Also how do I disable AudioWizard? Is it only setting sound to "OFF" in it?

Sanctrum
07-03-2015, 10:13 AM
Do you have the same strange behavior when using the headphones?

Have you tried the total power down by pressing the power key for more then 10 seconds?

lazzo
07-03-2015, 11:17 AM
I tried it nothing changed.
When using headphones everything works normally.

It is like if speakers have some nonvisible line and when the volume crosses that line the sounds stops.
For instance if I play something from youtube and if its normal or loud recording I can hear it only if my master volume is at 40%, if I play something on youtube which is not that loud or which is very silent then I can crank the master volume to 70% and I will be able to hear the sound coming until I go over the 70%.

Gps3dx
07-03-2015, 02:46 PM
The simple way to make sure 3rd party driver&software is disabled to successfully test the HW - is to boot into safe mode.
Then, windows should work with the basic drivers MS supplied, and it should give you 2.0 channels output ( without realtec driver the sub will not work, in my opinion ). BUT, windows contains, even with the basic drivers, some disrupting "enhancement" features "loudness eq" that may lower the volume level.

Another way to make certain that your HW is ok/not ok, is to boot a live-cd of any linux dist, like ubuntu.
again, it should give you only 2.0 channel, internally or through the 3.5mm port ( you've got 3 total, try them all )

P.S - have you try to run the external audio system on other machine to check if the problem isn't with your g751 ?

lazzo
07-05-2015, 05:42 PM
I tried speakers and headphones trough the 3.5mm port and it works normally.
Then I tried safemode, the sound is playing till 30% of mastervolume trough the speakers if I go above that sound can't be heard.
I found some videos of my favorite show on youtube, some of them had bad recording which are silent, I can crank master volume to 100% and I will hear the sound normally but if I switch to other video or if some error/update/facebook message produces sound I won't be able to hear it and the speakers will stop working.

Basicly looks like there is a hardware limit and whenever the signal is higher than that limit the speakers wont work.

lazzo
07-22-2015, 07:03 PM
After my laptop was sent to be serviced they have said that they are replacing the motherboard and the speakers so I guess it wasnt a software bug.

clockworksatan
07-23-2015, 08:08 AM
I recently done a clean install of Windows 8.1 and followed this (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?58411-Guide-The-G751-new-user-thread-(Clean-install)) guide to install the drivers in the correct order. I know it's a pain in the backside to start from scratch yet again, but it might be worth a shot. Everything worked perfect for me on my first attempt. :p