PDA

View Full Version : 5.1 audio with a toslink adapter

dpad007
12-14-2011, 09:07 AM
Yeah i own this g74sx,i was thinking about this since i got it,so i never could get a yes or no answer,i wanted to use the laptop with my home theater but my receiver its old and it doesn't have a hdmi in/out,but it does have an optical one so i ended up getting a toslink adapter just to see what would happen.i plugged the toslink in the headphone jack right away i noticed that the optical light didn't turn on red(when this is plugged into the xbox 360 it does light up red)went to windows sound/realtek digital output properties/supported formats/encoded formats/both dts & dolby did play in their own 5.1 channels,before this i tried this with a rca adater1/8 to male rca audio but only could get left,center,right,both rear speakers sounded at the same time no separation as with the optical cable it did separate every channel,so i don't know if i'm hearing true 5.1 audio or something else.

BrodyBoy
12-14-2011, 08:08 PM
That's a very long sentence! I'm sorry, but I can't tease out the question....is there one?

380mcn
12-14-2011, 08:23 PM
let me see if i understood, lol:

1. you don't have a receiver with the HDMI interface
2. you bought a toslink adapter
3. you don't know why the optical connector is not functioning so you used the spdif interface of the adapter in order to connect to the receiver BUT you don't know if what you're listening is true 5.1 or a stereo front mix in the front and back speaker.. am i correct?

a) in order to have the optical functioning with the adapter installed, open playback devices and you should have optical out, or something like as the default speakers.
b) make sure the same speakers are listed on the device manager

BrodyBoy
12-14-2011, 08:28 PM
But the G74SX doesn't have a dedicated optical out, so wouldn't all of this be associated with the mini-toslnk out?

We shouldn't have to work this hard to figure out somebody else's question! lol! :o|

JRd1st
12-14-2011, 08:43 PM
We shouldn't have to work this hard to figure out somebody else's question! lol! :o|

Lol, then let Asus people do it.

dpad007
12-14-2011, 10:18 PM
Ok here's a shorter question then. Does anyone know if G74sx has S/PDIF out on it's 3.5mm port?

dstrakele
12-14-2011, 10:21 PM
If it does, that'd be news to me. I've never seen S/PDIF OUT advertised as a feature for any G74SX system, anywhere.

380mcn
12-14-2011, 10:33 PM
If it does, that'd be news to me. I've never seen S/PDIF OUT advertised as a feature for any G74SX system, anywhere.

neither do i. if it is a requirement one should have bought the AW or the MSI..

lvfmc
04-18-2012, 08:04 PM
G74SX does have a mini toslink, in the oudio output jack, it works. But, I don't know how to set it to play as 5.1. I just can do 2 speakers...=]