PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Windows 8.1 to another computer

Torpedo499
07-08-2015, 09:19 PM
Hello,

I was thinking about building my own desktop and selling my G750JW.
Would it be possible to transfer Windows 8.1 to the other computer so I don't have to buy another copy?

Thanks

Maxter
07-08-2015, 10:36 PM
Not legally... At this point, you should install Win10 beta (on a second partition) and use it until July 29. Microsoft said that anyone that has Windows 10 beta installed will have a free copy of it when it's released.

xeromist
07-08-2015, 11:27 PM
Not legally... At this point, you should install Win10 beta (on a second partition) and use it until July 29. Microsoft said that anyone that has Windows 10 beta installed will have a free copy of it when it's released.

Microsoft has said several things regarding the beta. I wouldn't count on getting a free copy if you don't have a license or an MSDN account.

In answer to the OP's question: Your copy of 8.1 is OEM and tied to the laptop it was sold with. Unless you buy a *retail* copy Windows is not transferable.

The good news is that if you are building a PC you an buy an OEM copy which will be a bit cheaper but it also won't be transferable, so keep that in mind if you plan on building a new PC frequently.

Praz
07-08-2015, 11:35 PM
Hello

Win10 retail will be free for Insider users only if the user remains with the Insider program. The downside to this is all updates that are pushed out prerelease have to be accepted. If not Win10 will revert to an unactivated state.

Maxter
07-09-2015, 06:04 AM
got it. thanks!