PDA

View Full Version : g750jx - when i shake it, something rattles inside.

GoAsusGo!
07-09-2015, 10:12 PM
i have a g750jx.

i noticed when i shake it slightly that something inside is rattling.

the noise is coming from the upper right side, approximately where the graphics card fan is located maybe?

any ideas what it could be??

Darnassus
07-10-2015, 06:54 AM
Yeah, I know.. it's a little worrisome, however it's possibly the fan itself. I've dismantled the unit and found that the fans are attached by plastic-like hinges so they can open like a door and allow you to clean the heat sink on the inside. I BELIEVE it's the fans.. but then again I am not precisely sure. It could be the screen / wireless cord underneath the soundbar (the block coming out at the back behind the screen).

Otherwise, I cannot truly be certain. I don't have the guts to jostle the unit about when it's dismantled with the keyboard off to find the issue.

You're not special or different, it's a design flaw and you've nothing to worry about.. we all have it.

installer
07-10-2015, 10:14 PM
You're not special or different, it's a design flaw and you've nothing to worry about.. we all have it.

Are you saying all G750's rattle or just G750JX's?

My G750JW certainly doesn't rattle at all :)

GoAsusGo!
07-10-2015, 11:25 PM
it doesnt sound like just a cord or wire is loose. it sounds like the right fan is loose.. but i dont see how that could be.. i took apart the unit in may, and the fan is secured by 3 screws. even if one screw came loose still the fan wouldnt shake.. what are the odds all three screws came loose? plus if any screws were loose inside the laptop, i would hear them as i shake the laptop. plus i had no screws left over when i put back together the laptop.

this is so f*** annoying, i might just open it up again. i just hesitate because removing the keyboard is so hard, im likely to snap one of the plastic corner bits off.

Darnassus
07-12-2015, 08:27 AM
Are you saying all G750's rattle or just G750JX's?

My G750JW certainly doesn't rattle at all :)

Just the JX's I believe. ;d

Darnassus
07-12-2015, 08:28 AM
it doesnt sound like just a cord or wire is loose. it sounds like the right fan is loose.. but i dont see how that could be.. i took apart the unit in may, and the fan is secured by 3 screws. even if one screw came loose still the fan wouldnt shake.. what are the odds all three screws came loose? plus if any screws were loose inside the laptop, i would hear them as i shake the laptop. plus i had no screws left over when i put back together the laptop.

this is so f*** annoying, i might just open it up again. i just hesitate because removing the keyboard is so hard, im likely to snap one of the plastic corner bits off.

Did some thinking. It's the Heat Sink Fins. I'm sure I've confirmed it as I have the 'rattle' on both sides of the unit. Left and right corners.

Nothing holds the Heat Sinks down, they just sit there inside the chassis.

Next repaste I'll pad them, see what happens. ;d

GoAsusGo!
07-12-2015, 08:08 PM
sweet, if your gonna open up your laptop just remove the keyboard then shake the laptop until you locate what is making the rattling noise.
then report back!! :-D take a video or something too.

i wouldnt pad the heat sinks, air is supposed to circulate all around them to cool them.
if you pad them, your comp might over heat,
thatd be terrible.

Edweird
07-13-2015, 01:54 PM
I'm not well versed in the G750 but I wouldn't put it far past the CMOS battery enclosure having come loose. On the G751, it's a bit of plastic wrapped around the battery with the contacts and cable sticking out. After a while, the tape that holds it down can come loose and it rattles around inside.

But iirc, the G750 has an actual hardpoint on the mobo for the battery so it wouldn't be that, it's probably not connected by cable like it is on the G751.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/25/42d0850eee314a619a35dfd12d5b4f8c.jpg

GoAsusGo!
07-13-2015, 09:15 PM
the rattling is from someting alot bigger, imho.

but thank you !

im gonna take next sat off work to open it up,
i should be taking bets on what it is.

Darnassus
07-17-2015, 06:35 AM
sweet, if your gonna open up your laptop just remove the keyboard then shake the laptop until you locate what is making the rattling noise.
then report back!! :-D take a video or something too.

i wouldnt pad the heat sinks, air is supposed to circulate all around them to cool them.
if you pad them, your comp might over heat,
thatd be terrible.

No I'd pad the upper side and underside. Not cover the entire exhaust, dummy! >xc

GoAsusGo!
07-17-2015, 05:02 PM
No I'd pad the upper side and underside. Not cover the entire exhaust, dummy! >xc

i wasnt talking about covering the exhaust. if you put padding around the heatsink, leaving the exhaust open still, it will be like giving the heatsink a sweater to wear. you know what im saying? you dont want the heatsink to be insulated. imho

Darnassus
07-17-2015, 06:14 PM
i wasnt talking about covering the exhaust. if you put padding around the heatsink, leaving the exhaust open still, it will be like giving the heatsink a sweater to wear. you know what im saying? you dont want the heatsink to be insulated. imho

That does not make sense to me sadly. I'd prefer no air to go around the heatsink, I'd prefer it to go THROUGH the heatsink. If I've got a massive hole below my sink, I'm definitely going to plug it to make sure the flow goes through the fins. ':x

Besides, the padding wouldn't be like a big, thick and wide thing of something. I'd be a thin strip about 6cm long and 7mm wide.

Maybe not even a strip, maybe just two spots of rubber.