PDA

View Full Version : looking to extend the AC adapter cable for a G751JY

Summoning
07-10-2015, 10:16 PM
Hi,

I'd like to extend the cable coming out of the AC adapter and going into the laptop.

The adapter is a

Delta Electronics ADP-230EB T

and has the following output values:

19.5 V
11.8 A
230 W

There are a few pics of it here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161695379588

The laptop is a G751JY.

The extension lead would need to be 3.6 metres.

Based on the above figures and provided that I have the correct connectors, do you guys think this is doable and what sort of cable would you suggest I use?

Thanks in advance.

xeromist
07-10-2015, 10:36 PM
Is there no way you can use an extension cord? Technically you could probably make a cable with parts from an electronics shop but when you increase the length of a wire and add connectors you increase resistance. Extending a small gauge wire might cause problems.

If you go ahead with this make sure the wire you use is at least as heavy as the one coming out of the brick and make sure to touch the wiring at various points between the laptop and the brick under full load to make sure it isn't warming up.

Summoning
07-11-2015, 11:51 AM
Is there no way you can use an extension cord? Technically you could probably make a cable with parts from an electronics shop but when you increase the length of a wire and add connectors you increase resistance. Extending a small gauge wire might cause problems.

If you go ahead with this make sure the wire you use is at least as heavy as the one coming out of the brick and make sure to touch the wiring at various points between the laptop and the brick under full load to make sure it isn't warming up.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Do you reckon it's a 2 or a 3 core cable I need?

xeromist
07-11-2015, 05:15 PM
Oh, you mean because the wall socket plug has a ground? From the brick to the laptop it's just hot and neutral: two wires.

Summoning
07-11-2015, 07:51 PM
Oh, you mean because the wall socket plug has a ground? From the brick to the laptop it's just hot and neutral: two wires.

I'm asking because the DC plug & socket I obtained for the job (fully compatible with the laptop, I mean both fit perfectly) could work either way: with a 2 or a 3 wire cable. So I'm not sure what cable to get.

xeromist
07-13-2015, 05:39 AM
I don't believe there is a reason you'd need three but this is uncharted territory for me so don't blame me if it sets on fire. Barrel connectors typically have a hot pin and a neutral barrel which is only two connections at the connection point. I suppose it's possible that some double up wiring to carry more current but a larger gauge of wire would accomplish the same thing.

But again, I'm not an electrician so I recommend you research this fully before you do anything.

Edweird
07-13-2015, 07:45 AM
As I understand it, the input from the wall socket uses the 3-barrel connector with hot, neutral and ground pins and the output connection to the laptop is a 2-wire setup with just the hot and neutral.

Are you sure you can't just get a longer input cable rather than having to extend the output one? Sounds like you're trying to hide the adapter behind a wall or something along those lines.

Summoning
07-19-2015, 08:28 AM
I want to keep it on the floor and leave it in the corner as I keep kicking it off the bed.

OneMoar
07-19-2015, 03:15 PM
use a extension cord kid ...