PDA

View Full Version : Windows not detecting old HDD after I put in the new SSD

sanguine_soul
07-11-2015, 05:00 PM
I got a 750GB HDD when I bought Asus G750 Gaming Laptop. That was many months ago. I recently bought a 1TB Samsung EVO SSD. I then took both of my HDD out (yes I have 2 HDD, one is 750GB which boots up and the other is 1TB HDD for extra space), put in the new SSD and use ASUS backtracker to install windows. After this I allowed the system to go through windows update.

I wanted to copy some files over from my original HDD (which has the windows operating system on it and came with the original purchase of this machine). It has had two partitions, C and D. I inserted the HDD into my laptop into the 2nd bay with the new SSD with windows in the 1st bay and turned on the laptop. The laptop behaved a bit strange for some reason, it went into "windows repair" but I cancelled that and restarted the machine. When I did boot from my new SSD and went into windows, the other HDD was simply not there. It seems that windows does not see it. I tried that disk managment software but it can't see my HDD too.

I restarted the machine and entered BIOS. The BIOS does see my HDD. I went into boot options and chose to boot from the old HDD, but for some reason it did not succeed. I then took out my new SSD and only tried to boot with the HDD. It worked. So my HDD is 100% good but when I boot from my new SSD, the old HDD in the 2nd bay is not detected by windows. Why? I think that during disk shifint at some point, I forget to take the battery out. But I am not sure if this can have any such effect.

My second question; I have spent a loong time reinstalling everything into my SSD. Is there a software which can be used to create an "image" of the existing C drive in my SSD so if I want to reset my laptop I can just format the hard disk and reset it to that "image"? What options exist for me?

Darnassus
07-12-2015, 08:00 AM
There's many better ways than mine, but what I'd do is.

Make sure Secure / Fast Boot is enabled in the BIOS

Then right click My Computer > Manage > Disk Management > Right Click the HDD and set it as 'Active' if it's not turned on. ( Or something similar)
Assign it a new drive letter, perhaps rename it, too. Then see if it pops up in My Computer.