PDA

View Full Version : G750JW wifi issues.

Aroth
07-11-2015, 11:48 PM
Every thread I could find on this issue was at least a year old (and the solutions provided did not resolve it for me in the first place) so I am opening a new one.

I have a G750JW from Best Buy that I installed Windows 7 x64 on immediately after buying. The laptop is about a year and a half old at this point. I had no problems at all until about 2 months ago when suddenly the wifi started acting up. I would reboot the computer for whatever reason (updates, dead battery, program installation/uninstallation, standard stuff) and when I logged back in I would have no available wifi networks. Repeated reboots does not clear up the problem, disabling/re-enabling the device does nothing. The only way I found to resolve it was to uninstall the device and let Windows re-detect it and reinstall the driver. This is a stop-gap measure though because the very next boot/reboot would once again find me with no available wireless networks.

Previous threads mentioned uninstalling/reinstalling the Client for Microsoft Networks (no luck), reinstalling the driver (only works if i uninstall it first and even then only until the next reboot), installing the updated Broadcom Driver (no luck, will detail in a bit) or out right reverting back to Windows 8 (or 8.1) and installing a third party shell.

Going back to Windows 8 is not an option. I despise the appearance and the fact that nothing is where it should be, beyond what can be fixed with a shell replacement, and I know too many people with wifi connection problems thatt have been traced directly to windows 8 and the way it handles updates from windows (it overrides 1st party drivers with Microsoft ones regularly).

As for drivers, the ONLY one I can find that will even install and provide any connectivity is the "DR_PCE_AC66_6309526_Win7" driver. All other drivers come back with errors about not supporting my operating system. Out of curiosity I compared the "bcmwl63.inf" file from the most recent Broadcom driver on the ASUS support site (version 6.30.223.228) with the one in the PCE AC66 driver package ("bcmwl6.inf", version 6.30.95.26) and the device Hardware ID is present in both files (PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_43B1), and the contents of the PCE AC66 file are included entirely in the Broadcom inf file. The only difference is one says "ASUS" and the other says "BROADCOM".

My understanding of drivers and inf files was that if the hardware id is present in the file and install options are present under the proper heading for your OS, the driver SHOULD install. However attempting to do so with the setup file results in a "not valid for your OS" error and attempting through device manager nets me a "best driver already installed" error, never mind that the new driver is valid according to the inf file AND several revisions newer.

Can anyone shed some light on this or provide a lasting solution?

Edit: Think I figured out why the newer drivers error out. The [Manufacturer] line on the newer .inf only lists NTx86.6.2 and NTamd64.6.2 (Windows 8) where as the older file lists NTx86.6.0, NTx86.6.1, NTamd64.6.0 and NTamd64.6.1 (Vista and Windows 7). Doesnt explain why the install commands are present for everything from Xp through Win8 on both files.