PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy G751 motherboard

Gizmo180
07-12-2015, 01:31 AM
If you have a motherboard from G751 JY, JT or JM I would like to know if you would sell it. I need a replacement for mine.

joshindaphils
07-12-2015, 10:53 PM
For whatever reason you need a replacement, it should be under warranty. If you are lucky you are in a region (at least the US) that has accidental damage coverage... if so there is no reason you would need the motherboard. We are talking about the most singular expensive component here, in essence the entire computer, I wish you great amounts of luck finding one that makes a new purchase not a reasonable option.

I would fully examining utilizing any warranty coverage before seeking out the MB.

Gizmo180
07-12-2015, 11:11 PM
I was told on the phone by asus that accidental damage wasn't covered by one person and another that it was. So I'm looking for another motherboard because it will cost about 600 to repair out of warranty. For that price I can put a JT board in and have the 970m.

Edweird
07-13-2015, 07:18 AM
I'd just take it to the nearest warranty service center. I'm not sure that you can replace it with a board other than the default JM one - if I recall correctly, the JM series have smaller coolers, which won't work if you have to drive a 970m.

joshindaphils
07-13-2015, 01:33 PM
Did you register for the accidental damage coverage? If one person is telling you yes, then peruse that... that is potentially tossing a lot of money out the window.

I am curious though where you are finding a JT board for $600 or that you are just assuming that you can. Also echoing some of Edweird's concerns (not sure what model you have) changing up the mobo could be a little more involved than you are anticipating. Most certainly the heat pipe assembly is unique per model due to the chips being laid out differently, there may be other chassis differences as well...

Again I am highly skeptical this would be a worth while endeavor, but would be happy to shown to be wrong. It still seams to me your best bet is for warranty service and pushing for accidental damage coverage as hard as you can.

I don't see any MBs listed, but you might want to reach out to these guys: http://www.asusparts.eu/en they seam to have a good line on Asus parts.

One of the reasons I am skeptical in regards to you finding a MB out in the wild is that a) every unit is still under warranty. b) a significant portion of these are covered under accidental damage c) if somehow both A and B didn't help me but there was some type of catastrophic damage to my laptop that made it unusable, but the MB was still good.... however that would happen or what that would look like, it would be set up as a desktop, though I'm sure some users would not / could not do this. There would be the additional concern that you would have no clue that you are buying a good MB as well, how would they be testing it? Etc.

Edweird
07-13-2015, 01:46 PM
Well, I had a BIOS flash fail and they didn't even bother figuring it out - they just popped the mobo out and put another one in (there's your $800-$1000 there, it's a JY) and sent it back within 2 days. So there's no reason you shouldn't push for getting it fixed.

(Plus, this scored me the M.2 socket.)