PDA

View Full Version : Can Setting higher refresh rates invalidate my warranty or damage the display?

clockworksatan
07-16-2015, 08:13 AM
With all this talk of NVidia G-Sync going around the forum recently, I noticed that a few people have changed their displays above the 60Hz standard so I gave it a go last night and found that I could set it anywhere up to 100Hz, but out of fear lowered it down to 90 and everything looks really smooth and better on the eyes.

However, it got me wondering if setting non-standard refresh rates could either invalidate my warranty or damage the display. Does anyone know if this is the case or am I safe to continue running at 90Hz without any worries?

Edweird
07-16-2015, 10:46 AM
Invalidate your warranty - no.
Damage your display - maybe, in the VERY long run. You'll start noticing strange behaviour long before that happens.
But if it does break in the end, some warranty service centers might give you trouble. :D
Simply having it set to 90Hz will not, however. They have no way of telling a simple software setting being turned on.

I see no point in running it at over 75Hz, personally.

clockworksatan
07-16-2015, 12:35 PM
Cheers for the response, Edweird! I've been fretting over it so think I'll drop it back to 75Hz to be safe - I hate the thought of inadvertently causing damage by running it at too high a refresh rate. In fact, I read something about the refresh rate being best when set to multiples of 24 so I might actually set it to 72 and see how that goes.

joshindaphils
07-16-2015, 01:05 PM
Invalidate your warranty - no.
Damage your display - maybe, in the VERY long run. You'll start noticing strange behaviour long before that happens.
But if it does break in the end, some warranty service centers might give you trouble. :D
Simply having it set to 90Hz will not, however. They have no way of telling a simple software setting being turned on.

I see no point in running it at over 75Hz, personally.

There are some pasterns that cause flickering at 60 and 75Hz that go away at higher refresh rates... though if you don't run across such a patterns it wouldn't be of any bother.

DeltaActual
07-16-2015, 03:30 PM
Running mine @100Hz for a looong time now. Zero problems.

clockworksatan
07-17-2015, 06:57 AM
Running mine @100Hz for a looong time now. Zero problems.

That puts my mind at rest a bit! :D