PDA

View Full Version : Asus News and support for windows 10

Clintlgm
07-16-2015, 06:10 PM
Notebooks are not mentioned.

http://rog.asus.com/422412015/labels/product-news/asus-announces-whql-certification-for-windows-10/

Jon G
07-17-2015, 10:54 PM
I recently emailed ASUS Support and asked if they recommended upgrading my ASUS ROG G751JY-DH71 from Windows 8.1 64bit to Windows 10 Home 64bit when Microsoft releases the free Windows 10 upgrade. Their reply was " yes, however it is up to you but ASUS recommends following Microsoft advice and updating your G751JY notebook to Windows 10. "

Sh4Sh
07-18-2015, 04:58 PM
Well, I think I'm going to wait and see what people who upgrade will say at the end of july

Clintlgm
07-19-2015, 02:49 PM
Yea I think we'll have a pretty good Idea how thing are going to play out by Jan 2016 they should have the first SP out by then

gmponyo
07-21-2015, 12:56 AM
I think it is best not to upgrade right away. Asus should support it fully with drivers, firmware and bios updates.

Chadd
07-21-2015, 07:44 AM
I'll be updating mine right away.

Clintlgm
07-21-2015, 06:24 PM
Well keep us posted on your experiences

Sargatanas
07-22-2015, 07:24 AM
I'll update mine right away too. Already made a backup of my System ^^

clockworksatan
07-22-2015, 07:48 AM
I think I'll upgrade early too but will jump back to my backup if Windows 10 turns out to be complete guff initially. I'm hoping to be surprised, though.

beststevie
07-22-2015, 09:14 AM
Hi,

I always made good experiences with a new Microsoft OS to wait at least one year or for the first service pack.
Actually I did testing win10 on G751JT. Graphics driver seems to be still Beta Driver, because of crashes of the graphics driver. It restarted from time to time (the witcher 1.06 for e.g.). Sound driver is more Alpha than Beta. It works only with stereo and if I switch it to other speaker settings it has just gone and has to be reinstalled to work again.

And by the way I don't understand why I should restrict my privacy more and more with newer software? The most new features are good to collect more of my data, not to improve the OS itself to run better. If you look through the settings, maybe you will find one setting in the final, which allows a little lamp in the place where sun is not shining? (just as bad joke)

I'm going to wait until the one year update for nothing phase is almost over and then I make my decision.

In general I prefer Dual Boot Systems. Windows for gaming and Linux for the rest.

antoine52200
07-22-2015, 09:47 AM
Asus had time to prepare for windows 10. We should have drivers and bios right away if they worked with microsoft..

I will at least wait a fews days after release to see what g751's owners have to say about asus support in terms of drivers. My asus live update never updated anything exept itself. I always had to search for updates myself..

We'll see how it does when win 10 is out!

BrickWall-School
07-22-2015, 01:06 PM
im a go with win 10... And will give my feedback asap here ...

antoine52200
07-22-2015, 04:31 PM
im a go with win 10... And will give my feedback asap here ...

Thanks man really appreciate it!

benjmyers1
07-22-2015, 06:01 PM
i'm already running windows 10 on my g751, and have been for some time. The windows 8.1 drivers (or windows update drivers on win 10) have been rock solid. There's no reason not to run 10 on it now.

antoine52200
07-22-2015, 08:29 PM
i'm already running windows 10 on my g751, and have been for some time. The windows 8.1 drivers (or windows update drivers on win 10) have been rock solid. There's no reason not to run 10 on it now.

Did you try the g sync modded driver with win 10. Someone asked this a fews post ago and it gave me the doubt..can we have both win 10 and "g-sync".??

benjmyers1
07-23-2015, 01:45 AM
no u cant

antoine52200
07-23-2015, 06:44 AM
no u cant

Well, that's a bummer! Now i don't know what to do.. get win 10 with directx 12 or win 8.1 with g sync!!!

Can't we have both?? come on NVIDIA..

AQUASTEVAE
07-25-2015, 09:58 PM
been running windows 10 since last year, and it runs perfectly fine. excuse the pun, but it is easily ten times better than win 8.1. everything runs very well, except g sync, and we all know the story with that. and for those writing about waiting for the sp1, you don't understand windows 10 at all. there will be no sp1. everything in win 10 is done with constant updates. the days of waiting for sp's is over. win 10 is the most secure os in the world today, bar none. do some homework. i hated win 8, 8.1, but win 10 even blew 7 out of the water a long time ago. waiting only prolongs the suffering.

Clintlgm
07-25-2015, 10:13 PM
Yea I'll let these other adventures work out the kinks and start upgrading after the first SP or what ever they decide to call the SP this time

Clintlgm
07-25-2015, 10:17 PM
Well I guess if your suffering. I'm not I waited for 8.1 and like it just fine quite a better than 7. I expect 10 will be great too. MS needs a successful OS. I also know it will be much better in a few month no mater how they upgrade it.

Raffafari
07-29-2015, 01:13 AM
I did a Windows 8.1 clean install today thinking i might stick to 8.1 for a while until I see what others have to say of the Upgrade to Windows 10.
Though for example, if I do get to upgrade should I leave aside installing the 8.1 drivers?
( installed just the Windows updates so far )
As I'm guessing when upgrading they get deleted or this upgrade won't be like a clean install and still keep most stuff and I will have to remove them myself to replace with the Windows 10 drivers ? :confused:

Basemath
07-29-2015, 06:01 AM
I'll update mine right away too. Already made a backup of my System ^^
You see, that's one peculiar thing about Win10. I'm pretty sure I read some where that once you upgrade to Win10 you cannot restore your machine back to its factory settings. I'm not sure if that means the backup you made for your system will be as good as useless. If I had to guess, Win10 will provide you the tools to restore your system to its state POST-Win10 upgrade. You just won't be able to ever restore to factory settings, i.e. Windows 8.1...etc

DeltaActual
07-29-2015, 06:26 AM
You see, that's one peculiar thing about Win10. I'm pretty sure I read some where that once you upgrade to Win10 you cannot restore your machine back to its factory settings. I'm not sure if that means the backup you made for your system will be as good as useless. If I had to guess, Win10 will provide you the tools to restore your system to its state POST-Win10 upgrade. You just won't be able to ever restore to factory settings, i.e. Windows 8.1...etc

Nonsense. Use Asus Backtracker.

Space Paste
07-29-2015, 09:35 AM
Nonsense. Use Asus Backtracker.

+1

Seriously, if you care to restore everything exactly as it came out of the box, take advantage of it. As long as you have a working Backtracker backup on a USB drive upgrading to Windows 10 won't stop you from restoring your laptop to a factory configuration. It just won't let you use the recovery partition on your OS drive, but you'll get that back anyway after restoring.

That being said, I verified a working Backtracker backup of my own so I have nothing to lose in this upgrade except precious time of configuring everything from square one if something were to go haywire. Count me in as another guinea pig; I'll share my results here later.

aeolisio
07-29-2015, 10:58 AM
Just finished the windows 10 install on my 9th g751 in the last 4 hours all are running flawlessly. No driver issues with any version.

serbicu
07-29-2015, 01:09 PM
I can not run API DirectX 12 with the driver installed from windows upgrade?

In GPUZ is shows Directx11.2 and with dxdiag 11.3

We don't have directx 12?

Do you guys have directx 12?

aeolisio
07-29-2015, 01:50 PM
dx12 is still insider access only go into windows update, advanced options, insider builds, get started then after you load the newest insider build it will have dx12. Your not missing anything theres nothing built to use it yet. No one knows if it will release later today or a month from now microsoft hasnt released word.

Carnoustie
07-29-2015, 02:03 PM
GPUZ needs updated,it also shows win 8.1 is running when it should be win 10.
DX12 is part of win 10,run dxdiag for system info.

serbicu
07-29-2015, 02:22 PM
GPUZ needs updated,it also shows win 8.1 is running when it should be win 10.
DX12 is part of win 10,run dxdiag for system info.

With dxdiag only Directxversion 11.3

You can use 3dmark api overhead test for dx 12

A friend of mine with amd did this test in win 10 and it works

I will check the newest insider buid

Carnoustie
07-29-2015, 02:36 PM
I installed win 10,ran dxdiag and it shows DX12,GPZU is not going to show DX12 if it thinks you are running win 8.1

Xehanort
07-29-2015, 02:38 PM
I don't know why, but my G751JY can't start the upgrade. Everytime I go to Windows Update, it says that the update to Windows 10 Home was unsuccessful. Anyone running into this issue?

aeolisio
07-29-2015, 02:41 PM
use the tool here
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

serbicu
07-29-2015, 03:19 PM
I installed win 10,ran dxdiag and it shows DX12,GPZU is not going to show DX12 if it thinks you are running win 8.1

Did you upgrade to win 10 today like me, or you installed from zero?

aeolisio
07-29-2015, 03:52 PM
I have done both lets move windows 10 installs to a seperate thread i have made a walkthrough
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?72650-How-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-upgrade-and-clean-install-simple-guide

DeltaActual
07-29-2015, 05:13 PM
I don't know why, but my G751JY can't start the upgrade. Everytime I go to Windows Update, it says that the update to Windows 10 Home was unsuccessful. Anyone running into this issue?
same here

aeolisio
07-29-2015, 05:20 PM
same here
like i told him use the tool here
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10
or see this thread
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?72650-How-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-upgrade-and-clean-install-simple-guide

Basemath
07-29-2015, 06:05 PM
+1

Seriously, if you care to restore everything exactly as it came out of the box, take advantage of it. As long as you have a working Backtracker backup on a USB drive upgrading to Windows 10 won't stop you from restoring your laptop to a factory configuration. It just won't let you use the recovery partition on your OS drive, but you'll get that back anyway after restoring.

That being said, I verified a working Backtracker backup of my own so I have nothing to lose in this upgrade except precious time of configuring everything from square one if something were to go haywire. Count me in as another guinea pig; I'll share my results here later.
Yup. I know Backtracker. Windows has the exact same function already built into the system. So I've had my flash drive ready in case anything happened. What worried me was some bit I read about not being able to restore to factory settings with Win10. But I suppose you're right it just won't let us use the recovery partition cuz that space is being freed up. And yes do tell plz how it goes for you if you decide to test the process anyway.

AQUASTEVAE
07-29-2015, 08:26 PM
man, i really don't mean to be offensive to anyone, but there are some seriously ridiculous mindsets on this board. first, for those updating today to win 10, why would you have waited until everyone in the world is going to be upgrading? ...and then wonder, or complain about why you are having problems? i have been on windows ten since last year, and it works perfectly; a thousand times better than win 8.1, which is horrible. but you have to expect, and m$ has been saying for months now, that for those wanting to wait to upgrade on or after the 29th, it could take days, weeks or even months to get it rolled out to you. the insiders get everything first, as they have said for a long time now. then the reservers, then the rest of the gen public. so if it says you can't upgrade right now, it's because 29 other country's around the world are flooding their servers. it's just common sense.

one more note here, for those of you who are saying that they will wait to see what it looks like when m$ rolls out the first sp1, you are wasting your time. there will be NO sp1, or 2 or 3. m$ has said that instead it will send out several updates a week, and keep win 10 up to date all of the time. it is called a service now. so waiting, just prolongs your time with an inferior os. i hope this helps.

DeltaActual
07-29-2015, 08:54 PM
like i told him use the tool here
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10
or see this thread

well...here is what I'm getting
http://i60.tinypic.com/t5fujl.jpg
why the hell it came up sideways is beyond me....

AQUASTEVAE
07-30-2015, 03:49 AM
i actually have two partitions running win 10 pro, and they are both completely up to date, and running excellent.

vlatko27
07-30-2015, 04:36 AM
I did an upgrade yesterday and all went smooth. Today I've got my new SSD coming so I will be doing a clean install. Should I just leave the drivers the OS installs(chipset, wifi, etc.) and what about Asus specific? The asus page shows only software for 8.1 for my G771, should I install those?

aeolisio
07-30-2015, 04:40 AM
Personally i always let windows update install every driver possible then ill go to the hardware manufacturer download pages and look for new drivers there to fix anything missing drivers in device manager. My last stop if i cant find the driver anywhere else is the Asus drivers page but they are usually old and outdated drivers. I dont think you need anything from the asus page other than bloatware and the ATK drivers everything else can be found on intel or other sites.

AQUASTEVAE
07-30-2015, 06:54 AM
8.1 drivers work well on win 10. or you can just let wu do all the work. either way it should all go well. which ssd?

vlatko27
07-30-2015, 04:59 PM
8.1 drivers work well on win 10. or you can just let wu do all the work. either way it should all go well. which ssd?

I just did a clean UEFI install using an USB for Win 10.1 and my G771JW is recognized as a desktop computer. WU messed something up. Running Intel Driver Update Utility says no devices supported.

Clintlgm
07-30-2015, 07:43 PM
Yep you were supposed to do the upgrade/update first then if you still want to do clean install you can with no activation issues. For now I would reinstall the latest Chipset drivers available on Asus Support Downloads (http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1) that might help. Also look Asus should have some new drivers for windows 10 up by now!

Lots of 10 help on this forum http://www.tenforums.com/forum.php

Draetor24
07-30-2015, 08:46 PM
Personally i always let windows update install every driver possible then ill go to the hardware manufacturer download pages and look for new drivers there to fix anything missing drivers in device manager. My last stop if i cant find the driver anywhere else is the Asus drivers page but they are usually old and outdated drivers. I dont think you need anything from the asus page other than bloatware and the ATK drivers everything else can be found on intel or other sites.

Asus drivers are out of date on specific laptop/computer model driver pages, but you can find new driver releases by doing the following:

Instead of searching for your model (ie. G751), you need to search for the specific driver utility you want. I usually have a page open for my model's driver page to determine exactly what I need, and then I open a new search page under Asus Download/Support page to search for things like - ATK, Wireless, LAN, Sound, IMEI, Intel RST, Chipset.

Once under those categories, it has drivers for a wide range of devices, but if you know your hardware and general driver version history, you can see which one you need and download the latest driver for your laptop. It's a bit sketchy if you are not sure what you are looking for, but once you know, you can get latest drivers for all Asus products.

Also, it's a good idea to use USB drives for all your backups, like Asus Backtracker etc. I have a USB for my Backtracker backup, and another for Windows 8.1 clean install, and soon for my Windows 10 clean install. It's like keeping copies of older Windows versions as backup/trophies on a USB instead of CD/DVD now. I swear by the Rufus utility for making bootable USB drives using Windows ISOs too.

Raffafari
07-30-2015, 10:08 PM

Hi AQUASTEVAE,
I'm also stuck on the drivers thing, want to make sure I pick the right stuff before letting anything install.
Could you give some details on which drivers are best to pick and from where also in the case of a clean install of Windows 10 ?

AQUASTEVAE
07-31-2015, 03:43 AM
yeah, what i did was load the wifi, trackpad and chipset from asus's page, 8.1 drivers, and searched and got the latest sound drivers on realtek's, and nvidia's sites. i got rid of all of asus's drivers of crapware that they load on this computer, like game software. then i upgraded to windows ten, and ran update several times from within windows 10, until all of my drivers were up to date. asus does have a windows 10 driver for atk. make sure to load this last. good luck. i have had almost zero problems with windows ten. if you make sure to get all of the right drivers downloaded, it will all go perfectly well.

Raffafari
07-31-2015, 04:24 AM
Thanks for explaining I do hope nothing will go wrong yeah I'l make sure I install the right drivers, after all the updating and such did you use the windows cleaning tool to get rid of any leftovers or something like ccleaner ?

vlatko27
07-31-2015, 04:44 AM
]Can anyone tell me whether this looks good? I'm kinda bummed because Intel Driver Update Utility says no devices detected on Windows 10 and when I go to manually search for drivers it only shows me Desktop Board drivers, as if I have a desktop motherboard.

flydutch
07-31-2015, 11:17 AM
You should revert to win 8.1 then upgrade via Windows Update to win 10 and wait till it is activated. Once it is activated retrieve your new Win 10 product key with a program like Nirsoft http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html
Download and create Your Win 10 DVD or USB from here http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/software-download/windows10?OCID=reserve_r_PostReserve_MediaCreation Tool.
Make a clean reinstall Win 10 with your new key that you retrieved previously.
Install Win 8.1 drivera from ASUS download site (there are only two new WIN 10 drivers for the G751jy)
Greets Antonio

vlatko27
07-31-2015, 12:12 PM
You should revert to win 8.1 then upgrade via Windows Update to win 10 and wait till it is activated. Once it is activated retrieve your new Win 10 product key with a program like Nirsoft http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html
Download and create Your Win 10 DVD or USB from here http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/software-download/windows10?OCID=reserve_r_PostReserve_MediaCreation Tool.
Install Win 8.1 drivera from ASUS download site (there are only two new WIN 10 drivers for the G751jy)
Greets Antonio

I did upgrade from 8.1 first and got activated, I did that on 29.07. Yesterday I did a clean install on my new SSD and I'm still activated. Activation is not a problem. My problem is Intel Driver Update utility doesn't recognize any devices detected on my notebook and searching for them manually inside the application shows me only desktop board drivers. :-/

Chadd
07-31-2015, 12:41 PM
Greets Antonio

Two drivers?
Which ones? I only noticed the ATK package.

AQUASTEVAE
07-31-2015, 02:39 PM
asus is adding new drivers all the time now, for win 10. but in the mean time, you should just use the 8.1 drivers. they work absolutely fine. i have been using them with windows 10 since last year, and my system runs flawlessly.

My biggest problem right now is that intel's XTU OR ETU, which ever you decide to call it, i keep seeing both names in different forums, it has stopped working in windows 10. i need this program back. so if anyone finds any solutions to making intel's xtu/etu run with win 10, please let me know about it.

Chadd
07-31-2015, 03:54 PM
I noticed that the new ATK doesn't allow you to three finger swipe down on the touch pad to minimise all the apps you have open :(