PDA

View Full Version : G550JK Overheating while closed and sleeping

Spec6
07-17-2015, 11:31 AM
So, starting yesterday, I noticed my ASUS G550JK was BURNING hot when I picked it up and opened it. It was hot enough to start causing problems with the trackpad, so I did a hard shut down and let it cool. I booted it back up and used it for about 4 hours with no heating issue at all. I downloaded Coretemp and turned on the High Temp Shut off in the settings. Today, I picked up my ROG and opened it and it was in hibernation when I woke it up the High Temp Pop UP window was up for Coretemp. I have never had an overheating issue with it before, the weird part is, it is ONLY overheating when I close it and it goes into sleep mode....

Suggestions? Or can Tech support give me some pointers?

Darnassus
07-17-2015, 03:24 PM
Can I just say that this is completely retarded? >x3

I've NEVER in my experiences heard of this before..

Check your log for the overheat, and open Microsoft's Windows Updater and check if any updates had automatically installed at or around that time while you weren't around.

SOMETIMES, your computer can wake up, do an update, then go back to sleep (I think, or it shuts down, however you've set it up in your power management.)

I've heard that the G series has problems and disputes with the Sleep button but this is ridiculous. Try getting into Hibernating instead, I think it's healthier for your unit.

Shutting down is even better. Don't forget, if you're on Windows 8, BIOS is only 2 sec and bootup is pretty much under 10.

I have no other ideas of what it could be.. could you try putting it to sleep and leave it on your lap for 5-10 mins and see if it heats up when you KNOW it's asleep?

dretir
06-29-2017, 05:07 AM
This has happened to me aswell, my Gl552vw overheats when I shut the screen off or when it goes to hibernate, I can't do anything with it or turn it on when this happens, I have to take the battery off and turn it back on because of how hot it gets. Overall it overheats while it's on sleep mode, it randomly goes on sleep mode and starts overheating and I can't turn it on but I can turn it off by pressing the power button for a while. This is damaging my computer I need help.

The Hound
06-12-2018, 02:04 PM
did you guys have a fix for this? my GL503 also overheats while the display is off (no issues while in sleep mode). I already tested off-display mode while downloading heavy games with no issues. Any help? maybe some updates are causing this? anyone?

Darnassus
06-12-2018, 03:31 PM
How weird.. ;x