PDA

View Full Version : g751 JY DVD writer / Photo processing and Cad work

hankwt
07-17-2015, 06:51 PM
Im thinking about buying this machine G751JY-DB72 17.3" i7 4720HQ 24GB 1TB its I believe the newer version with G sync price is great here in Canada
My question is - the specs says it has a Blue ray writer pardon my ignorance but is this a Blue Ray player as well here is the link to the unit I m looking at http://www.amazon.ca/Asus-Mobility-G751JY-DB72-17-3-4720HQ/dp/B00YR6BNVS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1435705671&sr=8-4&keywords=asus+rog+g751jy
thanks in advance PS I am not a gamer but want this unit more for Cad work and Photo processing - Thoughts ??

joshindaphils
07-17-2015, 07:48 PM
Yes, though you will need to acquire playback software to play BluRay disc. I use CyberLink PowerDVD.

You may possibly be better served with a proper workstation with a Quadro card.

Prostar Computer
07-17-2015, 08:11 PM
Yes, a writer will also read/play discs. When it's advertised as a reader, specifically, then it will not write (a little confusing).

And as josh mentioned, you will need software for Blu-Ray movies. Due to licensing, you cannot play Blu-Ray movies without specific software.

hankwt
07-17-2015, 09:47 PM
I have a dedicated Workstation with a quadro card as my main work horse this laptop would be for when i am at the cottage and have the odd customer request to attend to

joshindaphils
07-17-2015, 11:20 PM
I have a dedicated Workstation with a quadro card as my main work horse this laptop would be for when i am at the cottage and have the odd customer request to attend to

Then go for it! I use mine as my main workstation, though I don't use anything that leverages CUDA other than some occasional photoshop work. I mostly develop now but still do some implementation / change consulting. I run a smattering of IDEs and have a dozen VM's for testing and odd task. It is a powerhouse of a laptop.