PDA

View Full Version : G751 M.2 bracket 3d printed and heatsinked

aeolisio
07-21-2015, 01:02 AM
After searching these forums for a M.2 bracket for my G751JY-DB73X G-Sync I actually made a 3d printed M.2 bracket myself. Well i made 13 versions before i found one that was perfect but its on shapeways if anyone still needs one. It has an open top for heatsinks. It also leaves enough room for the 850 EVO to fit naked. With heatsinks attached i got an average 7 degree drop in crystaldiskmark with the SM951 and 11 degrees with the stock XP941 which is a lot more then i expected.

UPDATED NEW M.2 VERSIONS
Need to drill holes yourself but the cleanest option-
http://shpws.me/J8lX
preprinted holes but wont look as clean-
http://shpws.me/JcEy
installing a drive larger than the evo 250gb in bay 1 without heatsinks-
http://shpws.me/JtUm
installing a drive larger than the evo 250gb in bay 1 with heatsinks (use another version if you can)-
http://shpws.me/J

link to all brackets
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio

Update 2.5 cages available now
SSD cage
http://shpws.me/JMB7
Standard Cage
http://shpws.me/JMBN
Minimal Cage
http://shpws.me/JMC2

Prostar Computer
07-21-2015, 05:35 PM
3D printing for the win! Thanks for sharing this.

Clintlgm
07-21-2015, 06:16 PM
Yes thanks for sharing this.

OneMoar
07-21-2015, 06:23 PM
pretty idiotic that ASUS won't provide a M.2 bracket

aeolisio
07-21-2015, 11:32 PM
The oem bracket is a terrible design anyways it uses silicone pads which dont transfer any measurable heat especially from the bottom of the m.2. It would have been nice if they had added some ventilation around that area and a heatsink especially since the stock m.2 XP941 throttles with heat. My design allows actual heatsinks to be fitted on both sides and still maintain airflow. With smoke tests i was able to watch how it pulls air throughout the case and i designed this bracket around those tests. The temperature drop is enough to stop throttling on any benchmark i have been able to run and can only prolong the life of the drive.

aeolisio
07-23-2015, 07:07 PM
For the people who ordered it let me know if you have any questions.

antoine52200
07-23-2015, 07:34 PM
For people in Eu there is this store selling brackets

http://www.asusparts.eu/en/Asus-13NB06F1M04011

But theses are really nice indeed!! to bad mine doesn't have the socket, i see the circuits shame on asus for not providing every g751 with M.2 socket..

aeolisio
07-24-2015, 08:56 AM
I had the oem bracket i replaced it with this one to improve cooling. Ridiculous that they charge that much for a piece of stamped sheet metal. Also all the g sync models even the international versions have the m.2 socket on the board if your still able to exchange yours.

aeolisio
07-25-2015, 06:50 PM
After multiple requests i have released a new m.2 bracket version with the holes already printed on shapeways. It will not look as clean if you drill the holes yourself but its what people asked for so here it is. I am also working on a 3d printed 2.5 cage and a 3d printed bottom cover plate with more vent holes i will post once i finish printing and stress and cooling testing.
http://shpws.me/JcEy

aeolisio
07-28-2015, 08:11 AM
I am glad you like it it took 13 test models to make that one perfect. What color and finish did you go with? The bottom plate is a few weeks out, the curve and tabs are difficult to pull exact specs with a 3d scanner so i am having to tweak it constantly to get it perfect. It will probably have octagonal vent holes like the m.2 bracket to keep the cost down and airflow high. It would be ideal if you could also use it on a cooling pad with fans to get use of the extra airflow.
I am in the middle of watercooling a g751 for a coworker with a removable external rad and external thunderbolt titan x in a case much like the alienware external graphics amplifier so im a little bogged down atm but ill get the design done soon.

aeolisio
07-30-2015, 12:07 AM
I considered red for my personal machine but since most people would want black and i wanted to show them photos i went with black. I probably have 200+ hours of work between all 14 revisions of the bracket The bottom plate will use smaller holes for more strength between and to keep out larger particles. I use the Cooler Master Notepal U3 and excourage everyone else to. The fans are quiet and movable so you can actually place them over the exact air intakes. I have used U3s for several years without a single failure and everyone else that i have talked into using it at work has the same experience.
http://www.coolermaster.com/mobile/notepal-series/notepal-u3/

Edweird
07-30-2015, 12:55 PM
TheWitcher, the fans don't actually "move", he meant that you can screw the fans off and reattach them at various points on the pad so you can choose where most of the cool air goes.

aeolisio
07-31-2015, 10:26 AM
I have already printed 2 test versions that worked well for the 2.5 cage so about a week of stress testing and playing with fitment. I like to make all my 3d designs as strong as possible and use as little material as possible to keep cost down. Its kind of an obsession. I realize no one is ever going to say put 50 lbs on my 3d m.2 bracket but if they did it would hold its shape and protect the drive inside and thats kind of important to me even if it seems silly. I would love to see someone who dropped their laptop from a second story window and write to me that the only things that were undamaged were the m.2 and the bracket.

aeolisio
08-01-2015, 02:27 PM
You sound more like an engineer then a designer. I like the effort you put into these designs and look foward to purchasing many of your creations. Hopefully i never drop my laptop but since the m.2 is 400 bucks im glad itll be protected. Can you make a cover for the memory sticks aswell? I would love the entire case redesigned and 3d printed for better cooling but im sure that would be really expensive.
Ha maybe im just obsessive. I can do memory stick covers it would be thin and just for looks. Is your memory single or dual sided modules?. I have actually considered 3d printing the entire case bottom shell with vent holes but it would be well over $200 and even though the added cooling vents would be nice it wouldnt make much sense unless you were going for an extreme overclock and left it sitting on a very high CFM cooling pad. It would be nice to be able make it have access for the fan cleaning though. I actually made a custom fiberglass bottom panel for a g75 years ago with vent holes throughout and heatsinks installed and it dropped an average of 14 degrees but the g75 was poorly designed and had a ton of hotspots so the g751 probably wouldnt see more then half that drop in temp.

XOIIO
08-03-2015, 09:40 AM
Awesome, if I had a 3d printer I would have done this myself. I'm wondering if this works to add the MSATA SSD in as well as the two SATA drives, I'd love to move windows over to a 512gb one and have 2tb for storage.

aeolisio
08-03-2015, 02:21 PM
Awesome, if I had a 3d printer I would have done this myself. I'm wondering if this works to add the MSATA SSD in as well as the two SATA drives, I'd love to move windows over to a 512gb one and have 2tb for storage.
A 250gb 850 evo will fit in the space left by the bracket but any larger would require a different design and i would never install a larger drive under the m.2 as it already has thermal issues and adding the additional heat from say a 1tb 850 would just force your m.2 to throttle in some cases. Most people with older models seem to have sata 2 in the second bay but my new g sync g751 has sata 3 in the second bay. I have seen people order sata extension cables and run it under in order to get sata 3 in the second bay with older g751s.

aeolisio
08-03-2015, 02:27 PM
I have the 4720 and im able to clock it to 3.9 stable but the temp is hitting 96 if you made the entire bottom case vented i think i could break 4.0. Im fine with the memory covers being thin i think they are single sided. I was considering heatsinks for the exposed memory chips since im trying to get my g skill 2133 memory to run stable at 2400. Could you make the memory covers just slip around the edges to leave heatsink room.
Yes i can make the covers to slip around the edges of the memory sticks. What size heatsink are you trying to fit? I actualy watercooled a 4860 in a g751 for a coworker with an external rad and thunderbolt gpu in a small case. We were able to clock the 4860 to 4.1 stable and still had some thermal room so considering the 4720 has better thermal overhead you could probably break 4.0 on air with the right mods.

aeolisio
08-04-2015, 05:08 AM
Here are 2 modified versions to fit a second ssd in bay 1 thats larger than the 850 evo 250gb i highly recommend you use one of the other brackets if possible if you are just installing the m.2 by itself or are using a 850 evo 250gb as the second drive in the same bay.
an open top for heatsinks
http://shpws.me/JtU4
covered top for no heatsinks but more rigidity
http://shpws.me/JtUm
link to all of my brackets
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio

aeolisio
08-04-2015, 10:27 PM
Im working on the memory covers but it will have to wait until i finish the 2.5 cage. I have had my 4870 at 3.9 but the skylakes are hot to begin with and i have no intention of liquid cooling my own laptop plus. Maybe if i ever design the entire bottom cover vented ill push for more.

aeolisio
08-11-2015, 11:22 PM
It looks like the memory will be 10mm heatsinks and it looks like i wont be able to place them on half of 2 of the sticks from the way they install. Im sure you know what i mean. I really am hoping to break that 4.0 mark i wanted to get the db73x model you got but they didnt have any in stock when i ordered mine. Have you overclocked the 4870 on yours? I see the new versions of the bracket but i still prefer the first one.
I sent you the link for 3d printed memory covers and the 2.5 drive cage test let me know if you have any other questions.

aeolisio
08-13-2015, 08:13 PM
received bracket today clean fit easy install ty. send me info on that 2.5 cage plz i want.
I sent you the info on the 2.5 cage. What color material and finish did you order the m.2 bracket in? Did you mount heatsinks?

di Valenti
08-15-2015, 05:05 AM
I love it - the fact that you made this yourself - 3D printing is going to be the revolutionary tech that takes us all post-industrial to personal-artisan again only high-tech, not smithing and tanning leather... we will be CAD designing things, then molecular constructing things (later on), the whole implication of this is that sooner or later, we will all be making our own laptops (and everything else) in 3D printers... Star Trek here we come... slowly, but surely.

+10

aeolisio
08-15-2015, 07:19 PM
i got the polished nickle and used silver 15mm heatsinks. everything was sweet. wish i could show people like if i had a glass bottom. it made my 941 run much cooler and now it dont slow down when i do lots of transfers. i ordered the cage in nickle. you gonna do more stuff?
Did you take any pictures i would love to see it in nickle. I thought about 3d printing the bottom c over and possibly the entire bottom case and they do have a translucent option but it would not be as clear as glass. I actually helped a friend replace the top of his gt80 with a piece of tempered glass so people could see the sli 980s but MSI didnt exactly make things clean and orderly inside and he ended up going back to the oem cover after. I do have a couple designs in mind but without specific requests i really dont put them up online. If theres something specific you want let me know.

aeolisio
08-17-2015, 09:05 PM
Thank you its all very nice i ordered the covers and the cage. I cant wait to get them thanks again.
Not a problem thats what im here for let me know if theres anything else you need 3d designed. I did get the first bottom cover printed and am busy testing it should give another few degrees when used with a cooler. Ill let you know when i finish testing it.

aeolisio
08-18-2015, 09:38 AM
I love it - the fact that you made this yourself - 3D printing is going to be the revolutionary tech that takes us all post-industrial to personal-artisan again only high-tech, not smithing and tanning leather... we will be CAD designing things, then molecular constructing things (later on), the whole implication of this is that sooner or later, we will all be making our own laptops (and everything else) in 3D printers... Star Trek here we come... slowly, but surely.

+10
The technology is advancing so quickly. Im excited to start working with 3d printed carbon fiber we just got our new filaments but it will be awhile before anyone like shapeways offers it for sale to the public. Im actually designing an entire carbon fiber body kit for my hayabusa. It will be amazing to see people changing the aerodynamics and properties of vehicles with structural parts they designed themselves. I imagine in 5 years you would be able to choose custom body panels for your car and maybe design the entire car yourself or walk into an ikea and design your printed furniture. Exciting times indeed.

fidelity101
08-19-2015, 12:50 AM
Pictures of my PCIE mount...installed over my Samsung SSD 500GB drive

IWLSR5
08-19-2015, 06:10 PM
Can I get the link to the 2.5 cage. I'm going to be ordering one of your m.2 brackets as well.

IWLSR5
08-19-2015, 06:16 PM
What size heat sinks will fit with your m.2 adapter?

aeolisio
08-20-2015, 01:05 AM
Can I get the link to the 2.5 cage. I'm going to be ordering one of your m.2 brackets as well.
Sure which 2.5 drive are you using it for? Im working on several versions.

What size heat sinks will fit with your m.2 adapter?
I use these but anything 20x20x5 or smaller will fit i prefer 19 to give some spacing from the bracket.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231115994776?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

IWLSR5
08-20-2015, 08:00 PM
Sure which 2.5 drive are you using it for? Im working on several versions.

I currently have the original 1 TB platter drive, but I will be replacing it with an SSD soon.

aeolisio
08-21-2015, 01:25 AM
I currently have the original 1 TB platter drive, but I will be replacing it with an SSD soon.
Im in Tokyo for a few days more for work and i cant pull those off my NAS so give me a few days and ill have a link for you by monday.

IWLSR5
08-21-2015, 02:04 PM
Im in Tokyo for a few days more for work and i cant pull those off my NAS so give me a few days and ill have a link for you by monday.

No problem. Monday would work fine.

Carnoustie
08-21-2015, 09:09 PM
from the photo's on the last page,what type of connection does the samsung 500gb use,the only connection option I have is the same Sata connection in bay 2

IWLSR5
08-21-2015, 09:20 PM
from the photo's on the last page,what type of connection does the samsung 500gb use,the only connection option I have is the same Sata connection in bay 2

That is also a SATA connection. The 500GB Samsung just has it's covers off.

Carnoustie
08-21-2015, 11:49 PM
thanks,8 screws and my spare drive is naked :)

Carnoustie
08-21-2015, 11:55 PM
I also have 2 spare mSATA drives,I noticed on Amazon a dual mSATA to SATA adapter,has anyone tried any of the adapters?

aeolisio
08-22-2015, 01:48 AM
I also have 2 spare mSATA drives,I noticed on Amazon a dual mSATA to SATA adapter,has anyone tried any of the adapters?
msata uses 3.3v instead of 5v thats why msata is always lower spec than sata but with an adapter you can use msata in a sata slot. Any cheap adapter will work they are usually $5 on ebay

aeolisio
08-24-2015, 01:27 PM
No problem. Monday would work fine.
Heres the 2.5 cage options up
Update 2.5 cages available now
SSD cage
http://shpws.me/JMB7
Standard Cage
http://shpws.me/JMBN
Minimal Cage
http://shpws.me/JMC2

aeolisio
08-25-2015, 04:54 PM
Shapeways is offering free shipping for the next 5 days.
FREE SHIPPING On All Orders $35+ (USD) Now till August 30
If anyone needs a bracket or something else the time would be now. Any customizations like logos or names need to be submitted soon if you plan to order by the end of free shipping as itll take me a day or 2 to edit designs.

joshindaphils
08-27-2015, 01:58 PM
Asolisio,

Requesting good pics and where to get the parts for your bottom cover + heatsinks on the heatpipes. Probably best on another thread. My international warrenty is up in a few months and will be looking to replicate the drop in thermals you are seeing :D.

aeolisio
08-28-2015, 01:26 AM
nah i didnt take pics. should have it looks like jewelry. The 2.5 cage i got in nickle too it looks so smooth like they CNC cut it its perfect. I want that bottom cover when you do it id even order the entire case in nickle if you did it or maybe part clear acrylic part nickle. You also said you watercooled a g751 right. how did you make it removable? how does the titan x work is it sli or does it take over? what kind of performance increase did you see? would you make me one?
Thats awesome im glad ytou liked them. The bottom cover would have to be multiple pieces if you wanted a acrylic "window" so to speak. Im still weeks out from perfecting this design right now im having issues with the snap tabs being too strong and requiring more force then the oem plastic.
For the watercooled g751 ive done 3 now and they dont get any easier. Its rather a nightmare really. Yes the temps are amazing which gives great overhead but the cost and work required put it out of the range for most people. The titan takes over and is limited by thunderbolt speed but still pulls 10-15 fps over the stock 980m. To make it removable i left the internal heatsinks attached and attached the waterblocks to copper shims on top after some case modifications. We are actually playing with a mold of the bottom cover modded and layng it with carbon fiber to make it look seemless. I used 1/4 inch tubing and quick releases to make it detachable. The titan x alone is 1k with the case and everything else its easily a 1500 upgrade for 10-15 fps We only did them because we had extra titan x,s laying around from samples.

aeolisio
08-28-2015, 01:27 AM
Asolisio,

Requesting good pics and where to get the parts for your bottom cover + heatsinks on the heatpipes. Probably best on another thread. My international warrenty is up in a few months and will be looking to replicate the drop in thermals you are seeing :D.
Weeks out on it ill post some updates when i get something closer to perfect. They wont be cheap to print and i cant risk someone finding a problem i overlooked so i need to get everything just right.

aeolisio
08-28-2015, 01:28 AM
The memory covers and cage all fit great and look nice let me know when you make anything new.
Im glad you like them. Ill keep you updated when i release something new.

aeolisio
08-31-2015, 08:08 PM
2 pieces would be ok. if you make the bottom cover 3d print wouldnt the watercooling be easier? i can pull a titan from my gaming pc so thats not a problem.

Yes it would be easier but still not cheap or fun. If you really must consider it message me after i finish bottom cover designs and ill consider it then.

aeolisio
09-02-2015, 04:15 PM
I had an idea what about a skin to cover the whole notebook? Like a cell phone cover but 3d printed and it could be open like the bracket with holes. It would protect everything from scratches and drops somewhat right. I would want that.

Its possible sure let me play with some dimensions but shapeways offers an elasto material thats rubbery that would be perfect for this application.

NeoBeum
09-03-2015, 03:47 AM
I just ordered a set of the brackets...

aeolisio
09-03-2015, 01:40 PM
I just ordered a set of the brackets...
Great hope you like them message me is you have any questions and post pictures when your done on here please.

aeolisio
09-04-2015, 02:24 AM
I realized i never posted pics with the 19mm heatsinks they fit almost seamlessly. Cant beat $1.19 plus the price of thermal pads
Heres the ebay link if anyone needs them.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231115994776?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Edweird
09-04-2015, 06:07 AM
Thanks for the link, Aeolisio. I'm sure we could figure out which ones to use - but it would be nice if you have a link for aforementioned thermal pads?

I'm guessing these would work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-10mm-x-10mm-x-1mm-Blue-Heatsink-Cooling-Thermal-Conductive-Silicone-Pad-/221584643892?hash=item3397795734

I'm actually contemplating finding a way to fit and power a small fan under the M.2 to create some airflow. A feed from one of the USB ports, maybe?

aeolisio
09-04-2015, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the link, Aeolisio. I'm sure we could figure out which ones to use - but it would be nice if you have a link for aforementioned thermal pads?

I'm guessing these would work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-10mm-x-10mm-x-1mm-Blue-Heatsink-Cooling-Thermal-Conductive-Silicone-Pad-/221584643892?hash=item3397795734

I'm actually contemplating finding a way to fit and power a small fan under the M.2 to create some airflow. A feed from one of the USB ports, maybe?
I would have but the seller doesnt sell them anymore they were double sided 20x20x1 3m thermal pads. Those blue arent as conductive but ya they would work aswell. I actually played with the idea of putting a fan under it but the only fans thin enough that put any volume out are laptop fans and it might ruin the path of air that the fans pull from the bottom already through the memory and sata/m.2 slot. Between the bracket and heatsinks i havent gotten the SM951 over 39 degrees one single time even with 24 hour tests. I do use a notepal u3 with the fans over the two intakes on the bottom so that contributes slightly. You could pull the power from the sata slot right there if your going to do it. Post some pics and temps if you do.

Edweird
09-04-2015, 04:30 PM
First, I need a SM951 or XP941 if I can get the latter really cheap.
I'm on a budget and I'm seriously considering getting a 128GB one instead of 256GB. There's SM951 AHCI 128GB models on eBay for slightly over $100 delivered. I think all I'll have on there is the OS and maybe 1-2 larger games like Star Citizen and that's all I'll use it for.

But if I do get such a SSD, I'll definitely get a black or red standard bracket with the holes and some pads + heatsinks.The wait'll probably kill me, a lot of this stuff will ship in like...2 bloody months.
SATA SSDs like the 850 EVO 256GB are still on the table, though.

I'll look around for a 1-piece 80x20 heatsink, maybe they make them in comparable sizes. Should help with even heat distribution since I don't think just touching the 5 together helps as much. But if 39 is the highest it ever goes - it doesn't matter. I've had my spinning drive go 45.... Have you noted high the heatsinks can be or is 5mm the maximum reasonable? Is 19 on the edge or will 20x20 manage to go in without being in the way of the bracket walls?

These 10mm deep ones come with 3M tape on.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-20x20x10mm-IC-Chipes-Aluminum-Heatsink-Heat-Sinks-Cooler-Radiator-Tape-/191452112699?hash=item2c936f673b

aeolisio
09-04-2015, 04:52 PM
I'm on a budget and I'm seriously considering getting a 128GB one instead of 256GB. There's SM951 AHCI 128GB models on eBay for slightly over $100 delivered. I think all I'll have on there is the OS and maybe 1-2 larger games like Star Citizen and that's all I'll use it for.

But if I do get such a SSD, I'll definitely get a black or red standard bracket with the holes and some pads + heatsinks.The wait'll probably kill me, a lot of this stuff will ship in like...2 bloody months.

I'll look around for a 1-piece heatsink, maybe they make them in comparable sizes. Should help with even heat distribution since I don't think just touching the 5 together helps as much. But if 39 is the highest it ever goes - it doesn't matter. I've had my spinning drive go 45....
I even went through manufactures no one makes a 19x76 heatsink or close and a 20x80 wont fit. A 15x75 would fit but you would be leaving some gap and chips uncovered so its not really a great option. If you find a 19x76 let me know. I put 512s on the work machines and a 256 on my home machine because i delete a game whenever im done with it and the 256 is just about right to keep all my work software with 2-4 big games like gta and cod which are 30 gbs plus so you could probably get away with 128. You could always make a 128 partition with windows and a few games and see how well you can deal with the size.

aeolisio
09-05-2015, 09:19 PM

I'll look around for a 1-piece 80x20 heatsink, maybe they make them in comparable sizes. Should help with even heat distribution since I don't think just touching the 5 together helps as much. But if 39 is the highest it ever goes - it doesn't matter. I've had my spinning drive go 45.... Have you noted high the heatsinks can be or is 5mm the maximum reasonable? Is 19 on the edge or will 20x20 manage to go in without being in the way of the bracket walls?

These 10mm deep ones come with 3M tape on.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-20x20x10mm-IC-Chipes-Aluminum-Heatsink-Heat-Sinks-Cooler-Radiator-Tape-/191452112699?hash=item2c936f673b
10mm for height is too tall 7mm will fit but hit the cover and could transfer heat to the plastic 5mm doesnt touch anything verified with toner paper. 20mm width will fit but will make contact with the bracket itself and even though the bracket will be almost exactly 20mm most 20mm heatsinks vary in dimensions as much as 1mm and 21mm will not fit. The tolerances of the design are very tight there is no room for a 1mm variance.
3mm is the max height for lower heatsinks under the m.2 but that only applies to 512 and higher capacities.
Be careful with those preapplied adhesive heatsinks like that one that is just adhesive tape not thermal tape and will transfer very little heat to the heatsink. I also gently removed the oem stickers and stuck them to a piece of wax paper for safekeeping if i needed to reapply for warranty but you can apply the heatsink on top of the sticker if you want.

Edweird
09-06-2015, 08:27 AM
I'm going to guess 128GB models run cooler because of the decreased bandwidth.

aeolisio
09-07-2015, 02:44 AM
I'm going to guess 128GB models run cooler because of the decreased bandwidth.
Well the sm951 256 runs exactly the same temp as the 512 so i doubt the 128 is any less. The xp941 runs hotter then the sm951 so keep that in mind.

Edweird
09-07-2015, 11:17 AM
Well the sm951 256 runs exactly the same temp as the 512 so i doubt the 128 is any less. The xp941 runs hotter then the sm951 so keep that in mind.

Yeah, I've seen some live temp comparisons, it seems to run up to 10 degrees cooler. Apparently the controller is just plain better designed for it.

aeolisio
09-07-2015, 05:43 PM
Yeah, I've seen some live temp comparisons, it seems to run up to 10 degrees cooler. Apparently the controller is just plain better designed for it.
Thats probably because it only writes at half the speed of the 256.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-sm951-ssd-128gb-256gb,4119.html

512GB 256GB 128GB
2150 MB/s 2150 MB/s 2050 MB/s Sequential Read

1500 MB/s 1200 MB/s 600 MB/s Sequential Write

Clintlgm
09-14-2015, 09:01 PM
Man if your dropping one of these beast your very lucky its still working these notebooks are not cell phones.

aeolisio
09-15-2015, 09:53 PM
Did you finish the skin? i dropped mine yesterday and its already scratched. i dont want the next drop to crack something if it can be protected. My cousin glued neoprene to her msi 72 and it looks nice but its so thick now and if she takes it off it will look bad.
I have a untested design you can try if you want. Ill send you a link. It adds 2mm thickness to the outside so it shouldnt interfere with anything.

Edweird
09-15-2015, 11:04 PM
Thats probably because it only writes at half the speed of the 256.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-sm951-ssd-128gb-256gb,4119.html

512GB 256GB 128GB
2150 MB/s 2150 MB/s 2050 MB/s Sequential Read

1500 MB/s 1200 MB/s 600 MB/s Sequential Write
I meant between the XP941 and the SM951. The SM951 runs considerably cooler than the XP941 according to what tests I've seen.
But considering how rarely writes would actually occur on a 128GB SSD...I don't think that particular metric even comes into the equation.

Ridge
09-16-2015, 08:12 PM
By chances are you still selling those brackets? If so do you have any in stock or are they made to order and how long will it take to make and ship after payment?

Also how would the two drive bracket work? As in there's no room for heat sinks? How are thermals with that set up?

aeolisio
09-16-2015, 11:19 PM
By chances are you still selling those brackets? If so do you have any in stock or are they made to order and how long will it take to make and ship after payment?

Also how would the two drive bracket work? As in there's no room for heat sinks? How are thermals with that set up?

You just go to the link. I dont make any money on them shapeways prints and ships it. How long depends on how far you are from them put it in your cart and see the shipping estimate. I usually get anything from shapeways in a week.
The 2 drive bracket with open top still has room for upper heatsinks. These are the best fit.
The memory controller is on the top of the sm951 and has the highest temp and 2.5 ssds dont need any heatsinks but you could place a few on it itf you wanted. I would prefer people stuck to a single driv e in that slot but i designed the other brackets as an option and they have worked fine for people.

Ridge
09-17-2015, 03:18 AM
You just go to the link. I dont make any money on them shapeways prints and ships it. How long depends on how far you are from them put it in your cart and see the shipping estimate. I usually get anything from shapeways in a week.
The 2 drive bracket with open top still has room for upper heatsinks. These are the best fit.
The memory controller is on the top of the sm951 and has the highest temp and 2.5 ssds dont need any heatsinks but you could place a few on it itf you wanted. I would prefer people stuck to a single driv e in that slot but i designed the other brackets as an option and they have worked fine for people.

How sturdy is that design though? Also do you have a link for some thermal pads as well? As for wanting two drives in that bay it's for more for just being future proof. I've never used a bare SSD before so I'd have to look into it more. Would it be possible to get a bracket for a naked SSD that only covered the bottom and sides, is this something you would be interested in modeling?

aeolisio
09-17-2015, 05:49 AM
How sturdy is that design though? Also do you have a link for some thermal pads as well? As for wanting two drives in that bay it's for more for just being future proof. I've never used a bare SSD before so I'd have to look into it more. Would it be possible to get a bracket for a naked SSD that only covered the bottom and sides, is this something you would be interested in modeling?
I think there have been 7 orders of that design with no issues but its not as sturdy as a design with a top or bottom covered. I used 3m 25x25x1mm thermal pads and cut them but these are similar
http://www.ebay.com/itm/20pcs-3M-8810-20x20mm-Blue-Thermal-Double-Sided-Adhesive-Transfer-Heatsink-Pads-/111341699932?hash=item19ec7b835c
Yes i can make a 2.5 naked bracket if you give me the exact dimensions in mm of the 2.5 drive naked. But every ssd is different thats why i havent done one yet. I personally dont use 2 drives in one bay and dont recommend it because the sm951 performance is the most important thing to me everything else is just backup.

aeolisio
09-18-2015, 11:00 PM
aight i will. you gonna do somethin with the g752 or g700?
Ill do something if someone sends me exact measurements. I wont be getting one of the g752s thats coming in for the office because i have my g751 just perfect and with native nvme cards i wont need to make brackets for our work models. They may keep the same bay configuration for the drives but i doubt it. The industry trend is to place the m.2 in a seperate area than the 2.5 drives. We already did a seperate watercoling unit and seperate desktop gpu card in enclosures for the g751 so we have no interest in the g700s watercooling. We wont be ordering any of them though it is a nice idea. I personally dont like the dock configuration it requies you to have room behind the g700 instead of having a seperate enclosure elsewhere out of the way.

Ridge
09-19-2015, 03:13 AM
Hey aeolisio I was wondering if this is the NVME M.2?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SM951-256GB-AHCI-MZHPV256HDGL-00000/dp/B00VELD92U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1442632283&sr=8-2&keywords=pcie+m.2

If it is could you point in me the direction of the NON NVME version?

aeolisio
09-19-2015, 05:18 AM
Hey aeolisio I was wondering if this is the NVME M.2?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SM951-256GB-AHCI-MZHPV256HDGL-00000/dp/B00VELD92U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1442632283&sr=8-2&keywords=pcie+m.2

If it is could you point in me the direction of the NON NVME version?
That is an AHCI it says it right in the title. The third letter H in MZHPV256HDGL also verifies it as AHCI and NVME ones have a 3rd letter of V. I use

aeolisio
09-22-2015, 04:49 AM
Thanks i placed the order. i will update you when i get it.
Thats a large print so it might take shapeways longer then your previous orders let me know if you have any questions.

Clintlgm
09-23-2015, 04:31 PM
The Witcher, I am sorry for your medical Condition. My comment was valid you need to sort out some way to prevent dropping this notebook they are not built like smart phones and internal parts will break very easily, my intent was in no way meant to insult you.

aeolisio
09-25-2015, 07:17 AM
I have had a couple people message me so far asking what to do with the sticker if applying heatsinks. You can certainly apply the heatsink over the sticker but i personally removed my sticker gently and placed it on wax paper so i can reapply it later if needed. I do that with all my stickers so that if i sell or warranty something i cant just reapply the stickers and it will look new. If you remove multiple stickers like the ones near the keyboard of the g751 just take a close up photos with a ruler and the stickers then youll know exactly how they were spaced if you ever need to reapply them.

aeolisio
10-02-2015, 08:43 PM
Update: All of the brackets will work the the new samsung 950 pro in all sizes and heatsink recommendatons stay the same. As for getting the 950 pro to boot so far i have not been able to get it to boot but i am waiting for the updated driver from samsung and have been assured it will fix the boot issue.

TriSarme
10-05-2015, 11:39 AM
For people in Eu there is this store selling brackets

But theses are really nice indeed!! to bad mine doesn't have the socket, i see the circuits shame on asus for not providing every g751 with M.2 socket..

What exactly is the difference between JL models and JY & JT? Cause the site states these are only compatible with JY & JT. Not really sure why it couldn't be used in JL.

I'm just in the middle of buying, and am looking at a JL model...

aeolisio
10-05-2015, 06:11 PM
The 3d printed bracket works in all versions and is cheaper stronger and allows more airflow than the oem version.

aeolisio
10-18-2015, 04:19 PM
aight but you could jus make the g700 dock seperate right. run some tubing to make it out of the way?

Sure its possible but you might have to replicate that center port opening but i am not sure if it actually works as a power connector or just a physical link. Then of course finding a quick release fitting to match or extending the ones on the dock. Also you would have to consider the hassle and possibility of air in the lines and system. All for a few degrees that wont really matter. I doubt anyone will ask me to mod that but its possible.

aeolisio
10-22-2015, 01:05 PM
I installed the skin last week with no problems and today it survived a 4 foot drop with no damage. The skin itself didn't even scratch and the laptop actually bounced a little. You should really be selling these for every laptop and tablet. I have tried all the major brands of expensive phone and tablet cases like otterbox and none have every really protected anything like this. You could make a fortune selling these. I would order them for my phone and tablet if you made them. Thank you so much and let me know if you design anything else.
Im glad it helps you. As for designing protectors it would only take a week for some chinese ebay company to copy me and sell them in an inferior design with inferior materials for far less then the cost of a 3d print. You have to realize i make nothing on anything i have designed here i only did the designs to help other users and i have no interest in making a business out of this or competing with a chinese injection molding factory. The designs take serious work to fit precisely much more so then those factories which are just using a reverse mold with cutouts and to do one for a phone would require so many exact measurements that most people couldnt supply me with. For example consider the radius of the curves or the depth of the charging port cord when inserted. Unless people actually deliver exact dimensions to me i have no intention of designing anything i dont personally use or cant test myself. The m.2 bracket went through many tested revisions before i posted it here the same with the 2.5 bracket and thats why everyone has been so happy with them and they are so strong and affordable to print.

noobita
10-25-2015, 07:22 AM
If someone gets the Samsung 950 to boot please do inform here.Looking forward to buying this if the Samsung PRO 950 works.

aeolisio
10-26-2015, 03:48 PM
If someone gets the Samsung 950 to boot please do inform here.Looking forward to buying this if the Samsung PRO 950 works.
Do not hijack my thread the 950 boot has nothing to do with a 3d printed bracket there is already a sticky thread dedicated to it here and had you asked there i would have helped you.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52551-g751jy-Pcie-ssd-questions&p=541118#post541118

aeolisio
10-29-2015, 07:13 AM
i would. i already told wifey she can hav my g751 so i can get the 700 for work. i need it 4 feet seperate from the dock. and can you change the fluid to like a white nano fluid with clear tubes. i kno you do good work so im ok with whatever risk and cost jus let me know what you need and how long.
Sorry i overlooked your reply. Yes i can do the mod but it will have to wait until late december/early Jan. I have access to white ice dragon nano already they are always leaving us fluid at CES. Its probably a 2 week+ because we are not tearing apart any of the office ones on order so it will be a matter of opening to find out what to order. Hopefully i can source a quick release and use the same system so it can be set back to oem with a simple removal. You will need to ship the unit with a prepaid return label and package it well. For the mod something like $50 labor+ whatever the parts come to or less. Remember the oem pump wont have great head pressure so you will need to keep the base roughly level wherever you place it forcing it to fight gravity might burn it out.

aeolisio
10-31-2015, 06:12 PM
Consumer 3d scanning does not currently offer the fine detail accuracy required to make accurate parts. Look online at 3d scanned faces and you will see what i mean. In the next 5-10 years that may change but currently its not anywhere near viable for anything that i make. As for charging more i have no interest in making money off my designs and by making nothing i ensure that people can get a great product at the best price possible. If someone asked me for something completely custom that required a new design from scratch i suppose i might ask for $5-10 or something to make it worth doing just so i would have motivation to make it.

aeolisio
11-01-2015, 11:57 PM
Updated links to heatsinks and pads if anyone needs since i seem to be getting that question a lot again.
heatsinks
http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Quality-Aluminum-Heat-Sink-for-LED-Power-Memory-Chip-IC-DIY-5pcs-19-19-5mm-/371219006013?hash=item566e60823d:g:tWgAAOxydlFSqsY T
thermal pads
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111341699932?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

aeolisio
11-09-2015, 07:15 AM
I see. Do you sell other designs that aren't on shapeways?
Not for sale online outside of the link to the shapeways items and nothing else for the g751. Most of my designs are for business partners or a specific client and therefore i cant publicly release them. Is there something specific your looking for? Right now i am working with a lot of experimental materials for the holidays so i am not taking many requests but if you have something in mind let me know.

aeolisio
11-15-2015, 02:03 AM
aight i can do that. wud you mind if i just had it sent to you directly as i order it? wud sav me some shipping. ya it will be level just not near the laptop. nother idea cud you jus make my 751 work with the base too? that was wifey can use it when im not.
Thats fine. As for making the 751 work with it yes i can by adding a pair of thin blocks and modifying the existing air cooling to be able to run by air or water.

aeolisio
11-18-2015, 09:21 PM
Until the 21st shapeways is offering free shipping if anyone still needs a ssd 2.5 or m.2 bracket.
WELCOME15 is the checkout code
link to store https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio

aeolisio
11-26-2015, 11:50 PM
aight Im ready to have the g700 preorder placed soze it be send to you for the work and when its done i send the g751 soze im not without a computer. where do i mail to?
I will send you the info just let me know when it can be here so we can make sure i am not out of the country that week or something.

aeolisio
12-02-2015, 12:18 PM
I just wanted to pop in and say Thank You for the brackets. My order arrived today and the M.2 PCIE and 2.5' bracket fit perfectly. They fit better then the oem brackets did. You should work for Asus. They are designed very well.
Thank you i appreciate that. Everyone seems to be pleased with the design and although i would love to work for Asus i doubt anyone from Asus will read this thread. I have always been a big fan of Asus products since my first build all those years ago and i am always glad to help users improve upon their Asus products.

TriSarme
12-03-2015, 01:17 PM
Thank you i appreciate that. Everyone seems to be pleased with the design and although i would love to work for Asus i doubt anyone from Asus will read this thread. I have always been a big fan of Asus products since my first build all those years ago and i am always glad to help users improve upon their Asus products.

Hi, I just bought Samsug 850 evo 250gb M.2 SSD. Which bracket should I get:

G751 SSD M.2 Bracket (http://www.shapeways.com/product/CXRNARVCY/g751-ssd-m-2-bracket?li=shop-results&optionId=57409158)

or

G751 SSD M.2 Bracket With Holes (http://www.shapeways.com/product/VH928T866/g751-ssd-m-2-bracket-with-holes?li=shop-results&optionId=57441424)?

Or will they both fit - It's a G751JT, one of the European versions.

aeolisio
12-04-2015, 01:40 AM
Hi, I just bought Samsug 850 evo 250gb M.2 SSD. Which bracket should I get:

G751 SSD M.2 Bracket (http://www.shapeways.com/product/CXRNARVCY/g751-ssd-m-2-bracket?li=shop-results&optionId=57409158)

or

G751 SSD M.2 Bracket With Holes (http://www.shapeways.com/product/VH928T866/g751-ssd-m-2-bracket-with-holes?li=shop-results&optionId=57441424)?

Or will they both fit - It's a G751JT, one of the European versions.
The 850 evo is a SATA m.2 you need a PCIE m.2 like the samsung Ahci SM951. When you purchase the correct m.2 either will work the only difference is the first one requires you to drill the screw holes for a cleaner look and the second has slots already for the screw holes.
Heres the correct drive in 256 variant
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SM951-256GB-AHCI-MZHPV256HDGL-00000/dp/B00VELD92U/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1449193220&sr=1-1&keywords=sm951

TriSarme
12-04-2015, 06:16 AM
The 850 evo is a SATA m.2 you need a PCIE m.2 like the samsung Ahci SM951. When you purchase the correct m.2 either will work the only difference is the first one requires you to drill the screw holes for a cleaner look and the second has slots already for the screw holes.
Heres the correct drive in 256 variant
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SM951-256GB-AHCI-MZHPV256HDGL-00000/dp/B00VELD92U/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1449193220&sr=1-1&keywords=sm951

Heh, now I feel stupid - my drive is the same size as the SM951, why wouldn't it work? The seller confirmed to me that it's compatible with my G751, so I just thought I needed the bracket.

Here's mine: M.2 EVO (http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-850-EVO-250-MZ-N5E250BW/dp/B00TGIVZTW/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1449209597&sr=1-1&keywords=evo+850+m.2)

Mind explaining why wouldn't i fit, cause it looks physically the same, except it has a hole extra, which I wasn't aware of when buying, I trusted the reseller these were compatible with my G751. Can I use te drive at all or not?

Martiinooneup
12-04-2015, 04:08 PM
Heh, now I feel stupid - my drive is the same size as the SM951, why wouldn't it work? The seller confirmed to me that it's compatible with my G751, so I just thought I needed the bracket.

Here's mine: M.2 EVO (http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-850-EVO-250-MZ-N5E250BW/dp/B00TGIVZTW/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1449209597&sr=1-1&keywords=evo+850+m.2)

Mind explaining why wouldn't i fit, cause it looks physically the same, except it has a hole extra, which I wasn't aware of when buying, I trusted the reseller these were compatible with my G751. Can I use te drive at all or not?

You bought a SATA SSD M2 but your notebook can only read PCIE SSD M2

Martiinooneup
12-04-2015, 04:10 PM
When you buy a SSD M2 to Sata Adapter you can use it for your notebook.^^

aeolisio
12-05-2015, 07:26 PM

It wont work because SATA is not PCIE. Just because it looks similar and is the same size does not mean its the same they are different lanes and not compatible. If you don't believe me plug it in and see for yourself. You need a PCIE m.2 i suggest the AHCI SM951. If you really want a more detailed explanation and understanding check wikipedia or google there is no sense in me pasting all that info here.

TriSarme
12-06-2015, 09:59 AM
It wont work because SATA is not PCIE. Just because it looks similar and is the same size does not mean its the same they are different lanes and not compatible. If you don't believe me plug it in and see for yourself. You need a PCIE m.2 i suggest the AHCI SM951. If you really want a more detailed explanation and understanding check wikipedia or google there is no sense in me pasting all that info here.

Thanx, I understand. The problem is I emailed the reseller whether the drive was compatible and they said it was. I didnt really look that much at the specs since it was the only M2 on offer, I juust emailed them, they confirmed the compatibility. Andworse, when I asked them about it, they said they installed dozens of those drives into the same notebook model and that I was doing something wrong. So basically, they lied?

aeolisio
12-07-2015, 02:32 PM
Thanx, I understand. The problem is I emailed the reseller whether the drive was compatible and they said it was. I didnt really look that much at the specs since it was the only M2 on offer, I juust emailed them, they confirmed the compatibility. Andworse, when I asked them about it, they said they installed dozens of those drives into the same notebook model and that I was doing something wrong. So basically, they lied?
Unfortunately many times in retail technical knowledge is a guess and once they go down that path they just keep adding more false information to cover it up. Trust me they are full of it. I actually have worked on many g751s and other rog laptops literally over 50 at the office alone and installed every option you can think of from nvme m.2s to watercooled exterior radiators and thunderbolt gpus on them. If it would work in the m.2 i would tell you. Sure you could rig up a 2.5 sata to m.2 adapter and run it in the 2.5 bay but then why wouldnt you just get a 2.5 sata ssd to begin with they are cheaper and the same speed. The entire point of the g751 m.2 slot is the pcie speed that way outperforms any 2.5 ssd and other competitors who are still using the m.2 sata standard. I have said it before but running a g751 without a pcie m.2 is like driving a ferrari with a honda engine. Just return it and if they give you hassles contact asus support to include a message saying it isnt compatible with your return.

TriSarme
12-07-2015, 07:13 PM
Unfortunately many times in retail technical knowledge is a guess and once they go down that path they just keep adding more false information to cover it up. Trust me they are full of it. I actually have worked on many g751s and other rog laptops literally over 50 at the office alone and installed every option you can think of from nvme m.2s to watercooled exterior radiators and thunderbolt gpus on them. If it would work in the m.2 i would tell you. Sure you could rig up a 2.5 sata to m.2 adapter and run it in the 2.5 bay but then why wouldnt you just get a 2.5 sata ssd to begin with they are cheaper and the same speed. The entire point of the g751 m.2 slot is the pcie speed that way outperforms any 2.5 ssd and other competitors who are still using the m.2 sata standard. I have said it before but running a g751 without a pcie m.2 is like driving a ferrari with a honda engine. Just return it and if they give you hassles contact asus support to include a message saying it isnt compatible with your return.

Thanx for the explanation. Actually, the problem isn't so much returning the notebook as is returning the disk. After I filled a request to return both and get my money back, the owner of the store called me and, in condensending tone, explained that I don't know how to install the drive, and they do, and that no bracket or anything is needed, and also gave me a pretty stupid explanation of how they do it - which, after I told them about it, the official Asus service center dismissed as a sure way of warranty void, saying I was lucky I did not let them do it. So I returned it all and now I'm waiting to see what happens as the notebook was also faulty, excessive glow/bleeding.

Luckily I have written proof that they confirmed the disk is compatible with the notebook.

NeoBeum
12-09-2015, 06:51 AM
The sinks were a bit of a tight fit on the bracket... but bam!

aeolisio
12-10-2015, 03:23 AM
Thanx for the explanation. Actually, the problem isn't so much returning the notebook as is returning the disk. After I filled a request to return both and get my money back, the owner of the store called me and, in condensending tone, explained that I don't know how to install the drive, and they do, and that no bracket or anything is needed, and also gave me a pretty stupid explanation of how they do it - which, after I told them about it, the official Asus service center dismissed as a sure way of warranty void, saying I was lucky I did not let them do it. So I returned it all and now I'm waiting to see what happens as the notebook was also faulty, excessive glow/bleeding.

Luckily I have written proof that they confirmed the disk is compatible with the notebook.
Yes thats an unfortunate situation just be persistent until you get it returned and purchase from a more reputable seller like amazon or costco.

aeolisio
12-11-2015, 08:21 PM
The sinks were a bit of a tight fit on the bracket... but bam!

Congrats on finally getting it together the red looks good its a shame the bottom cover isnt clear to show it off. If those are the 19x19 sinks they should fit just perfect but if you bought 20x20 then they will be tight. Either way the cooling helps.

aeolisio
12-15-2015, 10:03 PM
I was wondering if you could design a external enclosure for the 2.5 drive, something that would match the design of the g751 and look oem.
I suppose i could if you gave me the exact measurements in mm. You would still need to buy some form usb 3.0 or thunderbolt to sata3 cable and i would need the measurements of the connector aswell unless you wanted a large open area where it connects.

NeoBeum
12-16-2015, 11:55 AM
Ah, I think they may have been the 20mm, if I'd have know, I probably would've just filed them down the day I put them in.

Razmael
12-17-2015, 12:41 PM
pretty idiotic that ASUS won't provide a M.2 bracket

Actually, you can buy one for yourself. I found the original M.2 Bracket here

It's metal, you don't need to do anything to it.. maybe put some sponges on it. And it is seems to be cheaper than the 3d-printed option.
At this point I don't know what to opt for.. but there you have it, you can get an original part from ASUS.

aeolisio
12-18-2015, 11:48 PM
Some deals in December for the brackets at Shapeways if anyone needs them

Monday, December 21 - $10 off all Frosted Detail orders over $30
Wednesday, December 23 - $25 off all orders over $100
Friday, December 25 - 25% off White Strong and Flexible
Monday, December 28 - Get a $10 coupon when you buy from the marketplace
Thursday, December 31- 20% off Precious Plated Metals

jbayko
12-21-2015, 02:23 AM
Just wanted to say that I picked up one of these brackets for my new SM951 / G751, and it worked like a charm. Thanks!

KHP86
12-22-2015, 08:10 AM
Just got my bracket from Shapeways and it worked great. I was able to fit my 1TB 840 EVO below the M.2 drive. 5424954248

aeolisio
12-26-2015, 04:47 AM
Just wanted to say that I picked up one of these brackets for my new SM951 / G751, and it worked like a charm. Thanks!

Im glad it worked out for you. I only made them to help people out.

Just got my bracket from Shapeways and it worked great. I was able to fit my 1TB 840 EVO below the M.2 drive. 5424954248

That white looks good. Nice idea with the double sided tape.

KHP86
12-26-2015, 07:05 AM
That white looks good. Nice idea with the double sided tape.

Thanks aeoliso! Yeah it worked out flawlessly for me. The double sided mounting tape (3M) are stacked twice just to cover the end of the PCB. It's added to make sure that the drive don't walk itself off the SATA port. It's pretty secure lightly pinched below the bracket.

aeolisio
12-29-2015, 04:36 AM
Thanks aeoliso! Yeah it worked out flawlessly for me. The double sided mounting tape (3M) are stacked twice just to cover the end of the PCB. It's added to make sure that the drive don't walk itself off the SATA port. It's pretty secure lightly pinched below the bracket.

I actually tested the double drive in one bay config on a shake table and the sata drive never walked itself out or even disconnected because of the pressure from the bracket and sata connection but extra insurance never hurts. I always like to overengineer things myself.

aeolisio
12-31-2015, 12:38 PM
Do you think you can do it now? I have the cable and mesurements.
Yes, just make sure the measurements are exact to the nearest .5mm if possible. Send me a private message with all the specs and ill design the external enclosure sometime this next week and ill send you the link when its done.

aeolisio
01-03-2016, 05:30 AM
still no words on when shippin date for the gx700. i want 1 of thoze external 2.5 drive case you were talkin bout when will it be in the store and wut cord do i need?
It wont be in the store but ill send you the link when its available but you need to talk to 44bottlesofbeer to ask him where he got his cord.

aeolisio
01-06-2016, 04:44 AM
cud you make one end open like soze i can just use any cord and swap different drives?

Sure i can do that but it will need to have screws to hold the drive in.

aeolisio
02-20-2016, 11:55 PM
I don't really have time to check these forums lately with all the traveling but the most common question I get is which bracket. Each bracket has a through description on shapeways but if your just installing a m.2 and have no intention of doing a second drive in that same bay then this one is the most commonly ordered.
http://shpws.me/JcEI

Jon G
02-22-2016, 10:23 PM
Aeolisio,
The 512GB OEM Samsung PCIe (AHCI) M.2 Windows 10 OS SSD in my G751JY is only getting 1594MB/s Read &
1494MB/s Write using Crystal Disk Mark, ATTO, AS-SSD, & Samsung Magician SSD Performance Benchmarks.
I know the Write Speed is close to the 512GB OEM Samsung SM951 PCIe (AHCI) M.2 SSD's 1500MB/s rated speed
but do you think my lower READ MB/s is due to thermal throttling? I checked trim on the drive using the DOS trim
command check tool & it is on & it validated as working.
Perhaps I should try 1 of your 3d printed PCIe M.2 SSD brackets w/ thermal pads & heatsinks top & btm
to enable getting closer to the 2150MB/s on the 512GB OEM Samsung SM951 PCIe (AHCI) M.2 SSD Read
instead of dismal, heat throttled, 1594MB/s Read? 512GB OEM Samsung SM951 PCIe (AHCI) M.2 SSD has
365GB unused, available space on it. Any optimization suggestions much appreciated. Thanks!

hexaae
02-23-2016, 12:16 PM
Is it available a special version to keep both SSD connected to SATA3 port AND the M.2 PCIe?
Thread discussing how to arrange them together with a "naked" full-length (128GB+) SSD: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?58104-How-to-add-a-4th-drive-to-your-G751
Best solution IMHO: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?58104-How-to-add-a-4th-drive-to-your-G751&p=487652&viewfull=1#post487652

JustinThyme
02-23-2016, 06:23 PM
Aeolisio,
The 512GB OEM Samsung PCIe (AHCI) M.2 Windows 10 OS SSD in my G751JY is only getting 1594MB/s Read &
1494MB/s Write using Crystal Disk Mark, ATTO, AS-SSD, & Samsung Magician SSD Performance Benchmarks.
I know the Write Speed is close to the 512GB OEM Samsung SM951 PCIe (AHCI) M.2 SSD's 1500MB/s rated speed
but do you think my lower READ MB/s is due to thermal throttling? I checked trim on the drive using the DOS trim
command check tool & it is on & it validated as working.
Perhaps I should try 1 of your 3d printed PCIe M.2 SSD brackets w/ thermal pads & heatsinks top & btm
to enable getting closer to the 2150MB/s on the 512GB OEM Samsung SM951 PCIe (AHCI) M.2 SSD Read
instead of dismal, heat throttled, 1594MB/s Read? 512GB OEM Samsung SM951 PCIe (AHCI) M.2 SSD has
365GB unused, available space on it. Any optimization suggestions much appreciated. Thanks!

The magic 3d printed bracket wont help you. The SM951 OEM actually does not employ thermal throttling and you wont even trigger that with a crystal mark benchmark on a 950 pro. It takes 10-15 minutes of hammering with contant writes with no airflow to trigger thermal throttling on the 950 pro that has throttling enabled.

There are multiple settings that will change the performance. #1 on the list is to disable prefetch/superfetch. This single thing will make a pretty decent performance bump.

Hold the Windows Key, while pressing “R” to bring up the Run dialog box.
Type “services.msc“, then press “Enter“.
The Services window displays. Find “Superfetch” in the list.
Right-click “Superfetch“, then select “Properties“.
Select the “Stop” button if you wish to stop the service. In the “Startup type” dropdown menu, choose “Disabled“

I posted here somewhere a whole list of tweaks for SSD performance and it didn't include a 3D printed mount that is a direct violation of THIS (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1690-Spam-Flames-Adverts-Ban&p=10989&viewfull=1#post10989) but I'm no moderator.

toronto699
02-24-2016, 01:42 AM
Actually these 3d printed brackets are of good value for G751 owners and they do an important job for some of us , keep up the great work Aeolisio.

JustinThyme
02-24-2016, 02:23 AM
Actually these 3d printed brackets are of good value for G751 owners and they do an important job for some of us , keep up the great work Aeolisio.

They have their place and are a good alternative mounting idea. But they wont help your speed any.

hexaae
02-24-2016, 09:51 AM
#1 on the list is to disable prefetch/superfetch. This single thing will make a pretty decent performance bump.

Not really needed with modern SSDs. Well argued here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1427829/any-solid-reason-to-turn-off-superfetch-and-prefetch-for-ssd#post_20829680. Loading from prefetched RAM will always be faster.
Even MS removed some KB pages where initially suggested to disable this service for SSD users.

Cyberg
04-21-2016, 01:40 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for making this bracket, I ordered a red one to Stockholm, Sweden.

aeolisio
04-28-2016, 11:16 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for making this bracket, I ordered a red one to Stockholm, Sweden.
Your welcome. I only made them to help people.