PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Overclocking mistake #1, Where is the G751jy CMOS battery located?

N8Gamez
07-21-2015, 09:03 PM
Ok I just pushed my limit with over clocking my intel i7 2.6ghz and need to clear the cmos settings so I can use the display again, and the laptop in general. I have carefully removed keyboard and can see motherboard but not the cmos battery. Help please.

I have an ASUS G751jy-db72.
Thanks.

N8Gamez
07-21-2015, 09:14 PM
Anyone know where to locate the CMOS battery??

OneMoar
07-21-2015, 09:31 PM
grab a cup of coffee you have work todo

you are looking at needing to remove the topcover and or motherboard(depending on if its on the back or front of the board) to get to the battery as well as unhooking the main battiery behind the hinges on the display

OneMoar
07-21-2015, 09:35 PM
pictures (battery is in the last pic of the thread)
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?59354-G751JY-Disassembly-Pics
good luck :roll:

joshindaphils
07-21-2015, 09:38 PM
While I am not familiar with the exact workings of Intel's XTU, I am fairly certain it is a pure software implementation. Someone that knows for sure please step in and confirm / correct.

I do not believe resetting the BIOS will help you out.

Regarding the CMOS battery, a full teardown is needed to access it as it resides stuck to the underside of of the MB. Pics on my thread here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?59354-G751JY-Disassembly-Pics

*EDIT*
Ninja'ed!

OneMoar
07-21-2015, 09:49 PM
if I am reading the op correctly he did all the tweaking at the bios level so the machine is refusing to post

N8Gamez
07-21-2015, 10:28 PM
Thanks for being here guys. I used the intel tool to adjust the voltage up and clock speed. After reboor no screen. I did remove cmos battery cable from the motherboard for 5 mins but no luck. Any way out of this guys? I cant seem to clear the settings and have no screen to work with.

N8Gamez
07-21-2015, 10:29 PM
Any other ideas how to clear the settings so I can boot?

OneMoar
07-21-2015, 11:08 PM
to clear the cmos both the Main battery bank,CMOS battery and AC power must be removed

you then need to press the power button a couple of times to clear any residual power from the system
if that doesn't work then you likely fried something which is pretty rare unless you did something really stupid
another remote possibility is that the bios crashed try the failed bios flash recovery instructions for your laptop

N8Gamez
07-21-2015, 11:21 PM
I did press power button and disconnected the cables from both batteries. No dice, guess I need to go to a tech to take a look for me. Thanks for the help. I will let you know what results in it working again. Peace, N8.

NitroX
07-22-2015, 10:53 AM
I did press power button and disconnected the cables from both batteries. No dice, guess I need to go to a tech to take a look for me. Thanks for the help. I will let you know what results in it working again. Peace, N8.

Have you tried just using the laptop usual reset ? Pressing and holding the power button of the notebook for 10 seconds ? I usually used this when I messed things up with NBFC and I know for sure that after a reset I also had to reconfigure Intel XTU, so the voltages/clocks were also being reset.

antoine52200
07-22-2015, 11:29 AM
before using intel XTU did you check that you had installed intel watchdogs? Because without it you computer cannot reset to default settings when the overclock makes the computer crash.. that's the first thing to check before using XTU

hexaae
02-04-2016, 01:11 AM
HELP!!!

I've just tried to overclock my G751JY using Intel XTU from 100MHz core to 108.0MHz (i7 4710HQ), checked "Force Reboot" and pressed "Apply"...
From now on the PC simply doesn't boot anymore! Black screen and switches off by itself, no BIOS and nothing!!!

How do I reset everything to default?
I'm afraid that damn option "Force Reboot" should be renamed as "Make Permanent"... sigh...

cdma2k
02-04-2016, 02:16 AM
Thanks for being here guys. I used the intel tool to adjust the voltage up and clock speed. After reboor no screen. I did remove cmos battery cable from the motherboard for 5 mins but no luck. Any way out of this guys? I cant seem to clear the settings and have no screen to work with.

wow, I did not know the XTU is that dangerous, good 2 know, good luck!

Dreamonic
02-04-2016, 02:37 AM
Something to try is remove/swap (in the accessible area and out) your system memory and try booting again. Sometimes a hardware change can trigger the BIOS to auto-load preset failsafe values. Removing all system memory and booting once should do that trick.

JustinThyme
02-04-2016, 02:40 AM
Yes it is! Even watchdog is no guarantee. I changed a memory setting and it bricked. Had to totally tear down my G752 and pull the CMOS battery. They couldnt put it somewhere easy to get to. You have to pull the mother board or cut a hole in the bottom of your machine.

Dreamonic
02-04-2016, 02:47 AM
I actually had that happen as well when I was adjusting the memory timings. System wouldn't boot so I just took out all the DIMMs and powered it on once, it beeped and then I shut it off and reinserted the memory back and was good to go again.

JustinThyme
02-04-2016, 02:54 AM
I actually had that happen as well when I was adjusting the memory timings. System wouldn't boot so I just took out all the DIMMs and powered it on once, it beeped and then I shut it off and reinserted the memory back and was good to go again.

I wasnt so fortunate LOL Tried that and nothing, Tried putting old ram back in, nothing. Had to pull the CMOS battery. Set to 100Mhz which Im pretty sure it was at already and attempted to set it to 28 on the multiplier for 2800Mhz ram. BRICK!

hexaae
02-04-2016, 03:04 AM
Something to try is remove/swap (in the accessible area and out) your system memory and try booting again. Sometimes a hardware change can trigger the BIOS to auto-load preset failsafe values. Removing all system memory and booting once should do that trick.

Nothing. I removed the HDs. Black screen and can't even access BIOS.

Fu****g Intel XTU and the "Force Reboot" flag that actually means: save CPU changes permanently! And stupid me not documenting enough before trying that...
In my first experiment I tried to change core from 100 to 110.x but when I pressed "Apply" the system freezed and on next reboot the G751JY automatically always opened the BIOS prefs, to boot again I've had to press CTRL-ALT-DEL from BIOS... then it restarted as usual and Windows booted without problems. Tried other overclocking freqs but always the same: system freezed pressing "Apply", and then BIOS, CTRL-ALT-DEL...
For this reason I thought "Force Reboot" flag (that appears under Apply when you change core MHz) was there to cure Windows freeze and apply the oc on next reboot.... but didn't thought it actually meant: make CPU changes permanent, even at pre-post BOOT!!! How couldn't Intel add a warning requester for such a dangerous option? Sigh... There are help bubbles for all options and nothing about "Force Reboot".

JustinThyme
02-04-2016, 03:08 AM
I removed ram, changed ram nothing.
Then on reboot it tells me that XTU failed duh huh.
Then when I restart the app the CPU multipliers are now locked and the memory tab is completely just gone!

Dreamonic
02-04-2016, 03:37 AM
Sounds like the Overclocking Lock is enabled in the BIOS. It's a hidden option among many that need modification and a flash to access. This would also apply to the memory profile as well. Using ThrottleStop, if you get the same thing with that, then the aforementioned above is correct. If not, it could be resolved by reinstalling XTU or even using a different version altogether.

cdma2k
02-04-2016, 04:02 AM

where are you located? if you are in cold weather zone, take it outdoor, boot it into bios, it might work

hexaae
02-04-2016, 04:19 AM

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

My G751JY was stock: the other 2 upper RAM connectors were empty (16GB).... So I tried adding to the stock 16GB a PC3 12800S @ 1.5V (no DDR3L) in the upper (wrong, on purpose!) slot: the system did not boot at all and shutdown immediately after I pressed the Power button on (weird!). Then I moved the bank in the slot below (correct) and tried to boot: something strange happened at this time... Black screen, but after 5 secs it flashed (is alive!) and reset the BIOS due to config changes!! From that moment on I was able to access again the BIOS and I resurrected my powerful G751JY!!
Thank you so much for the idea... you saved me 50€ of "repair" (and some annoying weeks to wait for...)!

EDIT:
Beware though! XTU was still installed and on next successful reboot it tried to re-install the bad CPU profile!
To avoid that, reboot first in Safe Mode and with 'Autoruns' tool disable everything related to XTU from Everything tab (filter "intel") or the loop will restart again!

Dreamonic
02-04-2016, 04:37 AM
Absolutely! Also, thanks for posting your results!