PDA

View Full Version : ROG 751JT boot to slow

RazvanVL
07-23-2015, 04:58 AM
Hello!
My name is Razvan and i got new Asus ROG G751JT. My notebook came only with 1tb 7200rpm hdd but I bought a Samsung EVO 850 SSD for him and i installed windows 8.1 on it.
Now my problem is: my notebook boot very slow. After ROG logo in my upper left corner appear a flashing line and after that windows logo.
What could be the problem?
Please help me.
THANKS!

Here is a movie with my boot time:
https://vid.me/9aH6

UncleGG
07-24-2015, 06:58 AM
Hey,
I am also facing the exact same problem. However, I didn't install fresh copy of windows onto the SSD and just migrated the OS to it. I have not tried fresh installation and will do so when windows 10 comes out.
I did some searching and found that during the blinking dashes, the system is looking for a drive to boot from, but the problem persisted even when I disconnected my HDD drive and only SSD was present in the system.
We will appreciate If someone could shed some light on it.

Regards

Gps3dx
07-24-2015, 02:59 PM
@RazvanVL & @UncleGG
Please make sure in the "bios" settings that:
1. Sata MODE is AHCI
2. Make sure your ssd/HDD, where windows is going to be installed (c: drive ) is formated as GPT ( NOT MBR ! )
3. Disable CSM and enable FAST BOOT.READ HERE (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?71471-Reprogram-GL551JW-UEFI-firmware-to-fix-bootscreen-display-solved&highlight=gps3dx) for partial info about that.
4. Make sure you've installed Win 8 using "UEFI: xxxxxxxxx" in the boot screen ( pressing ESC immidiatly after you see the ROG icon / as the computer boots up - becuase its fast :-) ). The xxx is your dvd/usb device name.
This will ensure that you're going to install windows on a GPT drive ( see note no.3 ) that utilize the UEFI firmware - which in turn enables the ability to boot windows FASTER then the case it is installed on a MBR based HDD/SSD ( which utilized the emulated bios aka enabled CMS mode )

As I understand you've already got windows 8 installed - from experience I can advise you to make a "ghost" image of your C: drive -> clear that drive ( HDD/SSD ) completly -> make it a GPT ( not MBR ) based -> create 3 partitions at MINIMUM on that GPT drive as follows ( the order is IMPORTANT ! ): efi, MSR, system (=c: drive ) -> Restore the ghost image onto the newly created C: drive -> boot into windows installation disk and perform startup repair -> reboot & you've got windows on a GPT based ssd/hdd.

After you've "ghosted" your windows ( i.e made an image backup of the OS ) and ready to perform the HDD/SSD wipe procedure, its best to boot with windows installation -> open a CMD ( search the web for how to ) -> perform that hole format procedure with DISKPART ( see here for more info (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825686.aspx) ) as follows:
1. look for the desire ssd/hdd number by running the command "List disks"
2. perform the following, Please make note - THIS PROCEDURE WILL ERASE ALL THE INFO ON THE DRIVE that you'll choose !!!
if I write *** then afterwards text = its explanations NOT commands !

select disk # ***( # = disk number you want to format and convert to GPT
clean
convert gpt
create partition efi size=100
format quick fs=fat32 label="System" ***you can name it EFI or anything else - its the place where the .efi boot files will sit
assign letter="S"
create partition msr size=128 *** this is the 2nd must-have partition - read more about that HERE (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Reserved_Partition)
create partition primary *** you can specify here with "size=xxx" the size in MiB that you wish c: drive will be ( if you intent on retaining spece for additional future partitions )
format quick fs=ntfs label="Windows" *** here you format the partition as ntfs based 4K blocks ( which is GOOD ! )
assign letter="W" *** it will be C: when you'll boot into windows - don't worry.

Prostar Computer
07-24-2015, 04:36 PM
Pretty much what Gps3dx said. You seem to be set up under CSM, OP. Your Windows installation should have been installed with CSM disabled and UEFI enabled.

UncleGG
07-24-2015, 04:39 PM
@Gps3dx Thanks a lot for the informative post. My SDD is indeed a MBR. I will follow your steps for ghosting and converting the SDD to GPT and will update the post once done.
Thanks again :)

Gps3dx
07-24-2015, 11:52 PM
@UncleGG
Glad I could help...
many ppl around me think I speak foreign language when I speak about computer maintenance :-)

I can add something to the list of tweaks for you....
After you've done everything I wrote and run a win based GPT on the ssd and finally your able to boot into windows - download and install the latest Samsung magician software and perform the "OS Optimization" tweaks that app tells you to do + enable RAPID MODE + always leave about 10% free space on the last partition on the ssd so it could makes its own maintenance as he should ( every ssd is built that way - that's the "Over Provisioning" feature. You can MANUALLY do that, i.e (I recommand it ) extened/shorten the ssd partitions to retain 10% free space at the last partition, using various partition tools OUTSIDE of windows like GParted etc